Preseason Camp Thread | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

Well GS can't really throw is my issue. He's not a traditional passer. He missed throws last year where he had time. We're not going to get maximum accuracy from a guy like him.
We know he's not the greatest passer. He is what he is. He's the best we got. We can just hope he will get coached up better and the new pass concepts allows him to maximize what he has as a thrower.

My impression is that Villari doesn’t drive the ball.

Shrader’s problem, at least last year was inconsistent mechanics. From what little I’ve seen, not sure it’s gotten much better.
My assumption is Shrader has intangibles that add up to more than the sum of his parts. Looking at BYU and UVA and how Anae ran those offenses, my assumption is he will put Shrader in positions that will accentuate the positives of his game.

I do think Del Rio-Wilson is the QB of the future, but right now they will put Shrader in a position to succeed. Given Anae's past offenses, this seems the most likely.

Yep. As a former QB, there isn't a much harder throw. Throwing downfield, middle, or on your hash is all pretty easy throws because squaring your shoulders and feet is pretty much guaranteed. Setting up and throwing 35 to 40 yards across your body is not easy.

The only throw more difficult is rolling out and throwing back against the grain. That isn't one that is often simulated in practice because coaches do not want their QBs to throw that pass in the first place!
They hate it unless it's against Syracuse vs Va Tech

My assumption is Shrader has intangibles that add up to more than the sum of his parts. Looking at BYU and UVA and how he ran those offenses, my assumption is he will put Shrader in positions that will accentuate the positives of his game.

I do think Del Rio-Wilson is the QB of the future, but right now they will put Shrader in a position to succeed. Given Anae's past offenses, this seems the most likely.

DR-W is a stop gap

Lamson is the future qb of this program

I think people forget the uva offense under anae with Bryce Perkins. It was extremely different than with Armstrong. I think they know how to get their playmakers the ball and to their strengths. Offense doesn’t need to light the world on fire just not go 3 and out every other series. And if smchit is consistent would make a big difference.
My biggest hope is that the “under pressure” play calling delays last year is a product of the old OC and not babers and Shrader. Bc I don’t remember that being an issue in previous years under babers.
The most UVA film Ive watched was Perkins first year as the starter (2018). I think Anae's approach will be similar to that

They hate it unless it's against Syracuse vs Va Tech
That's the truth! That play gave SU more easy TDs during the '90s than any other. Teams don't prepare for it, because it goes against typical meathead football.

Is the 309 in your username a reference to your section? I used to sit in 309 as well!

DR-W is a stop gap

Lamson is the future qb of this program
I hope so. Really like what I've seen out of Lamson in the passing game. Haven't seen enough from Del Rio-Wilson to get a good take on him. Seems like a hard thrower without much accuracy, with some escapability.

Lamson seems like someone who could really be consistent with every route tree in an offense with proper coaching.

DRW is an intriguing talent but it takes time to learn the offense and get on the same page as your wideouts and personnel. Thats not a bad thing, it’s normal. Not every transfer is plug n play Joe Burrow

The most UVA film Ive watched was Perkins first year as the starter (2018). I think Anae's approach will be similar to that
That was Perkins' first year actually playing college ball.

He was 225-349 (64.5%) for 2680 yards, 25 TDs and 9 picks.

He also ran 212 times for 923 yards and 9 TDs.

UVa had a good RB on the team that year named Jordan Ellis, who ran for 1026 yards and 10 TDs. 4.8 ypc.

Their best WR was a 5'8 190 pound guy named Olamide Zaccheaus. He was a senior who had 93 catches for 1058 yards (9 TDs). It appears they did not have a servicable TE to catch passes that season.

They averaged 28.5 points/game. That was good for 72nd out of 130 teams.

Shrader has a lot more experience. I doubt he gets as many yards running as Perkins did. If he can get near the passing yards, passing percentage and passing TDs, we are going to be bowl bound.

Tucker is better than Ellis was. That will help.

Zaccheaus had 85 catches the previous season and we do not have someone like that to build around at WR. That will not help but if Anae was willing to feature a little guy like Zaccheaus, it tells me he might be willing to feature Courtney as well.

We just finished last season averaging 24.9 points, which was 92nd out of 130 teams.

Hoping we can get to at least 30 points per game this season. That would be a realistic step forward and make us a dangerous team to play.

Tucker had 1751 yards combined rushing and receiving last year. Guessing he ends up about the same this season, with more yards receiving and less running.

That was Perkins' first year actually playing college ball.

He was 225-349 (64.5%) for 2680 yards, 25 TDs and 9 picks.

He also ran 212 times for 923 yards and 9 TDs.

UVa had a good RB on the team that year named Jordan Ellis, who ran for 1026 yards and 10 TDs. 4.8 ypc.

Their best WR was a 5'8 190 pound guy named Olamide Zaccheaus. He was a senior who had 93 catches for 1058 yards (9 TDs). It appears they did not have a servicable TE to catch passes that season.

They averaged 28.5 points/game. That was good for 72nd out of 130 teams.

Shrader has a lot more experience. I doubt he gets as many yards running as Perkins did. If he can get near the passing yards, passing percentage and passing TDs, we are going to be bowl bound.

Tucker is better than Ellis was. That will help.

Zaccheaus had 85 catches the previous season and we do not have someone like that to build around at WR. That will not help but if Anae was willing to feature a little guy like Zaccheaus, it tells me he might be willing to feature Courtney as well.

We just finished last season averaging 24.9 points, which was 92nd out of 130 teams.

Hoping we can get to at least 30 points per game this season. That would be a realistic step forward and make us a dangerous team to play.

Tucker had 1751 yards combined rushing and receiving last year. Guessing he ends up about the same this season, with more yards receiving and less running.
All good data and points. Watched Perkins highlight film from that year too. Just to see the concepts they ran for him and his skill set. Which is similar to GS

Listened to the locked in Syracuse podcast and they mentioned that during very brief 11 on 11 portion of practice, G.S. threw 2 picks trying to make that throw.
Can't take too much from camp, but 2 picks in very few attempts on those sideline throws isn't what you like to hear.
No it’s not. If he could be decent we will be good. hoping.

That's the truth! That play gave SU more easy TDs during the '90s than any other. Teams don't prepare for it, because it goes against typical meathead football.

Is the 309 in your username a reference to your section? I used to sit in 309 as well!
No. The house number of me and my roommates in our early 20's. Ahhh. Those were the days.

All good data and points. Watched Perkins highlight film from that year too. Just to see the concepts they ran for him and his skill set. Which is similar to GS
Great idea to check what was done back then. Here are some games to watch from that season…

Virginia vs. Virginia Tech Full Game | 2018 ACC Football

ACC Replay: Pitt vs Virginia Football - November 2, 2018

Liberty vs. Virginia Football Highlights (2018)

Virginia vs. North Carolina State Condensed Game | 2018 ACC Football

North Carolina vs. Virginia Football Highlights (2018)

We have taken some injury hits, but have managed to dodge any serious bullets. Just keep plugging toward September.
dodge-the-matrix.gif

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sturner5150

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom