Preseason Camp Thread | Page 16 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

Donovan Brown was definitely a head-scratcher when he first committed. Slowly but surely he's learning and looking better everyday. State champ in the 200m and 400m. Exactly the raw athlete that Cuse needs and most people here clamor for.

Donovan Brown was definitely a head-scratcher when he first committed. Slowly but surely he's learning and looking better everyday. State champ in the 200m and 400m. Exactly the raw athlete that Cuse needs and most people here clamor for.

When he first committed, we were looking at his Jr year tape - and it was decidedly meh.
Looked like a tall fast dude who had limited experience at WR.

He had a very good Sr. year, looked like an actual WR playing WR -
not 'just' a really fast, tall track guy trying to play WR.

And he continues to improve from there.

As they say "you can't coach speed", and he's got it, in spades.

When he first committed, we were looking at his Jr year tape - and it was decidedly meh.

I think I myself commented on how he looked under developed skill wise for P5. And at the time he was, but boy has he proven me and others wrong big time. He has a flow and rhythm to his routes that just seems different. Seems like he could be something special if the stars align.

A couple comments

Firstly, seems like Carlos DRW has it. Just seems like he is throwing the ball effortlessly and driving the ball where he wants it to go. Experience is lacking, but the talent looks good in the short vids I’ve seen.

Secondly, our WR room seems to have some skill to it for the first time in awhile. Very unproven, but speed/size is a clear step up from our recent past.

I’m excited

Like Howard Cosell, I can say without compunction that “I never played the game.” That said, whenever I see these videos of practices, one of the first things I think is, Why do players spend so much time just standing around? I know it’s hot. I know they’re tired. But I would think these practices should stress their systems more. I’m sure I’m just not familiar enough with it. Or maybe these are just the less demanding portions of practice. Still, seems like one guy catching a ball, one guy throwing a ball. And 20 guys standing watching seems unproductive.
There's a time for conditioning and a time for skillwork. You don't want guys huffing and puffing constantly while they're trying to build the muscle memory required to play precise, fast, and loose. Also, there have been coaches that set out to work their guys like crazy as a way of being in better shape than the other team. That approach runs a team into the ground. The conditioning aspect was focused on in the off season. Now it'll be about maintenance and injury prevention for the next 3÷ months.

Last edited:

His junior tape looked terrible because they miscast him in the slot. Every route was a 5 yard button hook. I think they did that because there were seniors ahead of him. Senior tape was night and day. Used him properly on the outside and took advantage of his speed and playmaking ability.

She is special. What a positive ,supportive individual. Syracuse is fortunate to have her and her family in the community.
A lot will depend on the school transition which starts in the next few weeks. Does anyone know what district they’re in? Her teacher better be looking out for her.

Ok, so I am solidly in the Friday Night Pandemic and Drinking and Music Jam mode, but this season is going to be the best in a long time. I truly believe we have turned a corner. I can't wait to watch this team wow the non-believers.

Just curious. Do/can players practice on their own? Like b-ball players do? Or is it too big of an injury risk?

Just curious. Do/can players practice on their own? Like b-ball players do? Or is it too big of an injury risk?
They definitely do. For example, Garrett Williams mentioned after practice using other players to practice his press. I know QBs and WRs spend extra time running routes. I’m sure all the guys who are motivated enough are doing extra reps outside of practice, even if it’s just low risk type of drills.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom