Preseason Camp Thread | Page 18 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Camp Thread

Coming from Los Angeles as an 18 year old; I actually, loved the snow. Granted, 1987-1991, didn't have any bad "blizzard" winters, I believe. For me, it was the grayness of the city and sky. Going 30 days without seeing the Sun was something alien to me. Gotta believe winter in the beautiful Wasatch Mountains isn't exactly a Syracuse Winter experience, to be honest.

I never minded snow, I minded slush and salt on my windshield. Which reminds me, I watched the ACC network show on SU. The first thing some fat announcer asks a player is "how do you like the snow?
One inch in Atlanta and they are paralyzed for three days. Better to have a bunch of snow that is taken care than an inch that is not. Do you see Newhouse guys asking players in Florida "How is the humidity?" or "suffer a heat stroke yet?" How many people do you see hanging around in Florida now? They are mostly up north
To each their own. I don't miss the snow one bit since I moved south 14 years ago. My only lament is that my kids won't get to have fun in it like I did. Car maintenance is easier and cars last longer. When I sold my 2008 Jeep after having it for 12 years there wasn't a spot of surface rust on it. I haven't had to own or store a snow blower and I have to shovel my sidewalk about twice a year to make sure the inch of snow doesn't turn to ice, but I could probably just wait a day or two for it to melt. I knew guys back home that love to ski and snowmobile. They would hate the south. I get that.

There are things I dislike about Knoxville. The lack of cold and snow isn't one of them, and the summer heat and humidity is an acceptable trade off for me (the difference between the two places in summer weather is smaller than winter weather).

I'm sure they can afford a plow guy. That's half the battle!

The other half is finding one that shows up to plow a foot of snow before 8pm if you don’t call them 5 times to remind them you work.

What?
Unless you’re talking about humidity resulting in precipitation, I think you’re mistaken. Humidity is very low the colder it gets (assuming other factors remain relatively constant), especially (and particularly in this context of CNY winters) below “freezing.”
The relative humidity can still be high in the winter. The total amount of moisture is lower, but relative humidity is about the relationship between ambient temperature and dew point temperature, so it can be high when it's cold, and I believe that the air is generally drier out west than the northeast in the winter. It's why popular ski areas somehow get 300 inches of snow while simultaneously having 300 sunny days per year.

Coming from Los Angeles as an 18 year old; I actually, loved the snow. Granted, 1987-1991, didn't have any bad "blizzard" winters, I believe. For me, it was the grayness of the city and sky. Going 30 days without seeing the Sun was something alien to me. Gotta believe winter in the beautiful Wasatch Mountains isn't exactly a Syracuse Winter experience, to be honest.

This right here. Lots of places get snow, Syracuse gets a lot more than some places but it’s still winter and snow is snow. I think the difference in Provo and Denver is there are far more sunny days. So it’s not gray and depressing for days at a time and b/c they don’t get as much snow the sun melts a lot of the snow so it doesn’t stick around until the end of spring (sarcasm).

The relative humidity can still be high in the winter. The total amount of moisture is lower, but relative humidity is about the relationship between ambient temperature and dew point temperature, so it can be high when it's cold, and I believe that the air is generally drier out west than the northeast in the winter. It's why popular ski areas somehow get 300 inches of snow while simultaneously having 300 sunny days per year.
Agreed, but I was looking at it more as an absolute. Also, when looking at higher altitudes we are no longer comparing apples to apples as we are now looking at pressure changes due to elevation. Then throw the effects of wind/air currents into the mix and we begin to see why it’s hard to be a meteorologist! I enjoy the topic but will stop here as it is not pertinent to the thread, but I appreciate the reply/discussion!

Agreed, but I was looking at it more as an absolute. Also, when looking at higher altitudes we are no longer comparing apples to apples as we are now looking at pressure changes due to elevation. Then throw the effects of wind/air currents into the mix and we begin to see why it’s hard to be a meteorologist! I enjoy the topic but will stop here as it is not pertinent to the thread, but I appreciate the reply/discussion!
Yeah, the overall discussion was whether our winter will catch the Becks by surprise. I think it'll feel different but they won't be shocked by it.

Last edited:
Is there any guaranteed way to watch every game from home? Seems every year I’m scrambling around to try and find them. I usually download the YES app at some point, because websites say you can watch them there, only to find out you can’t lol. I have Hulu and ESPN but that doesn’t always have them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated

Is there any guaranteed way to watch every game from home? Seems every year I’m scrambling around to try and find them. I usually download the YES app at some point, because websites say you can watch them there, only to find out you can’t lol. I have Hulu and ESPN but that doesn’t always have them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated
Sportssurge

Not to be a downer. But, didn't they arrive in April? Pretty much Heaven on Earth time for Syracuse. Talk to me after their 1st Winter.;)
They're from Utah. Similar winters. This will be run of the mill for the Becks.

YES broadcasts Yankees games, so unless they happen to be playing the Mets, that app isn’t going to help you much. The SNY app on the other hand, might help you out.

The game tonight is on WPIX and various stations that pick up that feed. I have Spectrum in CNY and it is being shown on channel 7.

YES broadcasts Yankees games, so unless they happen to be playing the Mets, that app isn’t going to help you much. The SNY app on the other hand, might help you out.

The game tonight is on WPIX and various stations that pick up that feed. I have Spectrum in CNY and it is being shown on channel 7.

Doesn't YES still carry RSN games in NY State, or has that gone away for good?

Last season we had 3 games in a row in Oct and Nov on YES. In 2020 there were 4 games on YES.

Doesn't YES still carry RSN games in NY State, or has that gone away for good?

Last season we had 3 games in a row in Oct and Nov on YES. In 2020 there were 4 games on YES.
Sorry. Thought we were talking about the Mets. I am getting confused by all the cross talking in threads.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom