Preseason Practice... | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Preseason Practice...

Whats the key takeaway? Is he projecting as a key piece this year or is he likely a year away? Not asking for specifics. Just, do we anticipate him contributing during ACC play?
My key takeaway is that Naheem was in a boot just two weeks ago.

If you have certain opinions on a few players, including some interest why would you share that and why would Alex share that? Especially given he is from that world. Your opinions and ability to assess players are your value so that’s for your organizations benefit not your competition.
That makes total sense.
But then wouldn’t that be a ‘filtered’ opinion? Not “unfiltered.” In specifically saying it was “unfiltered,” it leads me to a conclusion that there were no positive sentiments about talent. Maybe that was a poor choice of words or I’m still reading too much into it with my inherent pessimism. You’re right—a scout for a particular org wouldn’t want to give away intel.

Thanks.

That makes total sense.
But then wouldn’t that be a ‘filtered’ opinion? Not “unfiltered.” In specifically saying it was “unfiltered,” it leads me to a conclusion that there were no positive sentiments about talent. Maybe that was a poor choice of words or I’m still reading too much into it with my inherent pessimism. You’re right—a scout for a particular org wouldn’t want to give away intel.

Thanks.
And just maybe he shared only one opinion and not every opinion

That makes total sense.

Thanks.

Yeah I guess you could say the filtering was maybe any other texts in the thread that weren’t included but that text was exactly as written…

Petar is probably a year away but I think he comes into next season as an important contributor in a large role.

The videos show Carlos knows how to break down a defense. Smart player who makes people around him better. Guys love to play with a point guard like this. The ball doesn’t stick.
Thanks for translating that into Tpt for me.

Key player.

He's skilled and good.

What I hope happens this year is that it’s a matter of you can’t keep some of these kids off the court because of what they show vs the cliche of “finding minutes” for everyone. To me, that’s the kind of depth you want to build and I like that there is a possibility things play out like that this year. That would be major progress and should help to reach the goals Red needs to hit to build momentum for the seasons to come.

What I hope happens this year is that it’s a matter of you can’t keep some of these kids off the court because of what they show vs the cliche of “finding minutes” for everyone. To me, that’s the kind of depth you want to build and I like that there is a possibility things play out like that this year. That would be major progress and should help to reach the goals Red needs to hit to build momentum for the seasons to come.

I know that some posters aren't happy that we added guys from Georgia State, New Hampshire, etc. or foreign players like this that aren't highly rated.

But these guys can just play. Quality depth, and guys who can get the job done. We needed more of that last year.

I know that some posters aren't happy that we added guys from Georgia State, New Hampshire, etc. or foreign players like this that aren't highly rated.

But these guys can just play. Quality depth, and guys who can get the job done. We needed more of that last year.

Exactly. Less focus on what one or two guys have to do every game and more on everyone out there can do their job and help play winning basketball.

Assuming Freeman turns out the way we want him to, our frontcourt will have a mismatch somewhere against almost every team we play this year.

I think we targeted Carlos because he knows how to QB an offense and get the ball to people in places where they can do damage. (And because he can shoot enough to keep defenders honest, and be a pest on D as well).

If our coaches got it right about him, he will rack up a lot of assists this year. In fact I think his assist total might be one easy metric to look at and see if the offense is functioning the way it should

The thing that interests me more is Taylor. I'm not quite sure where he fits in. Is it as a third guard and Starling back up? Or can Taylor and Starling play together sometimes as a backcourt with little ballhandling help from the frontcourt? My guess is he wouldn't have come here unless he thought he could get minutes alongside Starling as well as backing him up. His shooting and D will certainly be welcome. I'm most curious to see him play of anybody.

Assuming Freeman turns out the way we want him to, our frontcourt will have a mismatch somewhere against almost every team we play this year.

I think we targeted Carlos because he knows how to QB an offense and get the ball to people in places where they can do damage. (And because he can shoot enough to keep defenders honest, and be a pest on D as well).

If our coaches got it right about him, he will rack up a lot of assists this year. In fact I think his assist total might be one easy metric to look at and see if the offense is functioning the way it should

The thing that interests me more is Taylor. I'm not quite sure where he fits in. Is it as a third guard and Starling back up? Or can Taylor and Starling play together sometimes as a backcourt with little ballhandling help from the frontcourt? My guess is he wouldn't have come here unless he thought he could get minutes alongside Starling as well as backing him up. His shooting and D will certainly be welcome. I'm most curious to see him play of anybody.

Taylor, Westry and Choppa I’m very curious how things shake out.

Taylor’s all around game is intriguing to your point as is the quick release and his ability to attack a close out.

Choppa is a mature kid who is the true definition of a grinder/gym rat so you just have to wonder just how underrated he is going into the year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom