PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

PS: Syracuse basketball recruit Tyler Roberson: Time ticks down to a qualifying deadline

PS: Syracuse recruit Tyler Roberson still waiting to hear from NCAA on eligibility

Syracuse's fall semester began last week and Tuesday was the final day that students could add or drop courses. Last week a source had said that Roberson must receive clearance from the NCAA by Tuesday or he would not be allowed to enroll this fall.

However, a university spokesman could not confirm that on Tuesday. Still, the clock is running for Roberson, who must make some decision soon even if he doesn't hear from the NCAA.
The interesting thing is that he's still clicking on the clearance site, even late Tuesday afternoon. That may be some indication that he's been given some assurances that he has some extra time before the absolute drop-dead deadline kicks in. I have no knowledge of SU's procedures in such a matter, but there has to be some kind of waiver process open to all students. What would happen if a student was visiting some foreign country right before the beginning of school and the airport shut down for a couple of weeks because of some natural disaster. Would SU say, too bad, you should have gotten back earlier?

This whole situation is frustrating. I really feel bad for Tyler. If we're freaking out like this, I can't even imagine how he feels.
We ARE an emotional bunch on this board today... :(

Usually we are all so calm, thoughtful, and even-keeled. :D

He's probably not going to need four years of college eligibility. Can he attend SU as a partial qualifier at this point? At least he spends his year on campus.

I don't believe the partial qualifier exists any more. I think they are bringing it back though.

I don't believe the partial qualifier exists any more. I think they are bringing it back though.
Th strangest part is the article indicates an su spokesperson could not confirm whether Roberson could enroll post tues. how can they not know?

Th strangest part is the article indicates an su spokesperson could not confirm whether Roberson could enroll post tues. how can they not know?

Waiver???

Cuz Boeheim said... and he runs sheeit.

No matter how you slice it, this is indicative of borderline incompetency on the part of the NCAA.

No doubt, there is data to evaluate / courses to compare, but at the end of the day this is a strict mathematical function. He either meets the criteria or he doesn't. What the is the hold up?

Assess, measure, make a disposition. Objective criteria, not a hard thing to evaluate.

As I said earlier. I get that he might not qualify. That would stink. But that would be on him and/or prior schools.

Still.
Yes or no would have been fine. Maybe there's an appeal process going on after a no, but this doesn't seem to be the case, unless PS is completely inaccurate.

To leave someone hanging like this as school starts is just terrible. Things have to change.

I feel like the NCAA is all like "Yo Tyler, if you narfle this garthok... you're in... maybe"

Both bopsy twins and Young are on UK roster.
http://blogs.courier-journal.com/ukbeat/2013/08/28/young-harrison-twins-officially-enrolled-at-uk/

The three were never academically cleared. Can someone explain how this can be? Can someone please pass this onto staff who might care and wonder why we are stuck but these three are not?

Let me guess. These three guys have paid for their tuition, room and board and Tyler Roberson hasn't. Makes perfect sense.
yellowcard.jpg

No doubt, there is data to evaluate / courses to compare, but at the end of the day this is a strict mathematical function.

There are hundreds of cases out there where courses weren't accepted, grades weren't accepted, even schools that weren't accepted. It's not just some mathematical calculation.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are hundreds of cases out there where courses weren't accepted, grades weren't accepted, even schools that weren't accepted. It's not just some mathematical calculation.

Then you declare them ineligible. Point being... you tell the kid something.

Then you declare them ineligible. Point being... you tell the kid something.

And maybe someone is still fighting for his eligibility.,

Actually, yes it is. You either meet or exceed requirements based upon core course load or you don't fulfill the specified requirements. I get that there is some assessment involved, but at the end of the day it boils down to an evaluation of where a prospect's grades fall on a sliding scale assessed as a function of standardized test score. It couldn't be any MORE of a mathematical calculation.

It's fine for the NCAA to review whether or not his courses--at multiple high schools--fulfill minimum thresholds, but let's not pretend that at the end of the day this is a checklist.

No matter how you slice it, this is indicative of borderline incompetency on the part of the NCAA.

No doubt, there is data to evaluate / courses to compare, but at the end of the day this is a strict mathematical function. He either meets the criteria or he doesn't. What the is the hold up?

Assess, measure, make a disposition. Objective criteria, not a hard thing to evaluate.

It really doesn't have to be the case that the NCAA is at fault here. They probably are because they are incompetent buffoons, but as mentioned lots of issues hold this crap up.

He may have simply not qualified and now they're trying to get a waiver.

Summer courses post-graduation are iffy to begin with. Don't remember the rules exactly but at best he could replace one course if I remember correctly (if use any at all).

The transfer could be messing things up if the courses overlapped and the schools aren't sending in required information. If the first school he attended was running on minimal staff all summer they may not have made it a priority to provide necessary documentation (if required). I would think this isn't the issue, but you never know.

All I'm saying is, it may be the NCAA's fault, but there are a ton of variables that can hold this up.

It really doesn't have to be the case that the NCAA is at fault here. They probably are because they are incompetent buffoons, but as mentioned lots of issues hold this crap up.

He may have simply not qualified and now they're trying to get a waiver.

Summer courses post-graduation are iffy to begin with. Don't remember the rules exactly but at best he could replace one course if I remember correctly (if use any at all).

The transfer could be messing things up if the courses overlapped and the schools aren't sending in required information. If the first school he attended was running on minimal staff all summer they may not have made it a priority to provide necessary documentation (if required). I would think this isn't the issue, but you never know.

All I'm saying is, it may be the NCAA's fault, but there are a ton of variables that can hold this up.

I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, but if you're right that is a pretty asinine rule. Why should the number of courses that qualify be limited by when you take them?

I want to be clear: I'm not suggesting that Roberson isn't borderline, nor that his case doesn't warrant review. I just think that going beyond the enrollment phase of a student athlete's ability to get into school is indicative of a process failure. Shoot him down if the player doesn't meet minimum threshold criteria. Don't hold it up.

Measure, assess, rule.

Actually, yes it is. You either quality based upon core course load or you don't fulfill the specified requirements. I get that there is some assessment involved, but at the end of the day it boils down to an evaluation of where a prospect's grades fall on a sliding scale with standardized test score.

It's fine for the NCAA to review whether or not his courses--at multiple high schools--fulfill minimum thresholds, but let's not pretend that at the end of the day this is a checklist.

True - it is more or less a checklist. I'm sure under some scenario he MUST qualify or the drama would be over. Since he isn't cleared the issue is either a waiver, flagged test score, or course review/pending documentation from a HS for a course comparison. Those seem to be the most likely causes that I can think of.

I'm not saying that you're right or wrong, but if you're right that is a pretty asinine rule. Why should the number of courses that qualify be limited by when you take them?

I want to be clear: I'm not suggesting that Roberson isn't borderline, nor that his case doesn't warrant review. I just think that going beyond the enrollment phase of a student athlete's ability to get into school is indicative of a process failure. Shoot him down if the player doesn't meet minimum threshold criteria. Don't hold it up.

Measure, assess, rule.

Van Wilder completed like 18 credits in about a week.

Actually, yes it is. You either quality based upon core course load or you don't fulfill the specified requirements. I get that there is some assessment involved, but at the end of the day it boils down to an evaluation of where a prospect's grades fall on a sliding scale with standardized test score.

Every core course is evaluated. It's not just math. Otherwise a computer could process 1,000's every day. And it is somewhat of a checklist because it isn't just the sliding scale of gpa/sat.

True - it is more or less a checklist. I'm sure under some scenario he MUST qualify or the drama would be over. Since he isn't cleared the issue is either a waiver, flagged test score, or course review/pending documentation from a HS for a course comparison. Those seem to be the most likely causes that I can think of.

He may not be qualified and SU applied for a waiver (student can't) and that goes to a committee.

Measure, assess, rule.

They won't take 8th grade courses either except by waiver - even if they're advanced level (taking 9th grade classes in 8th). It's stupid.

He may not be qualified and SU applied for a waiver (student can't) and that goes to a committee.

I know, I worked for the NCAA. That whole stupid Clearinghouse is VERY familiar to me - it was just about a half-decade ago now though.

They just change stuff, and some of it I forget. It's all ridiculous though.

Every core course is evaluated. It's not just math. Otherwise a computer could process 1,000's every day. And it is somewhat of a checklist because it isn't just the sliding scale of gpa/sat.

Yes, it is just math. There might be a qualitative assessment of whether or not courses meet baseline requirements. Whether they do or do not, then it shifts into a quantitative assessment of whether minimum threshold requirements are met.

Which is why, after the qualitative assessment is performed, the assessment boils down to little more than a checklist of basic quantitative criteria. And why this should be a pretty straight forward analysis of whether Roberson's transcript is eligible or not on the part of the NCAA clearinghouse.

Not saying that the qualitative review of his coursework isn't needed. But once assessed, his transcript either qualifies because it meets or exceeds requirements, or it doesn't.

That determination is nothing more than a mathematical checklist.

Out of curiosity, what are the short term implications here? Can he or might he have added classes today and enrolled in the interim, or does he have to wait until spring or next fall?