Q & A Chop Shop | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Q & A Chop Shop

Who is going to the elite camp?
So far 2015 studs Malachi Richardson and Derrick Jones said they're coming. I would expect McCullough to come through and show love most likely, along with possibly Whitehead, Newton, Joseph, Adams, Bryant, Crawford, Diagne, Yakwe, Diallo, Battle, Lydon, Turner, and just for a tease I wouldn't be shocked if Briscoe decides to come as well.

This thread has me happy in the pants.
tumblr_mi48qznjVY1qbvkmso1_500.jpg

Also I'll add that whenever Hop takes over that we'll recruit more nationally. Everything is mainly east coast because I personally believe that JB just can't deal with all of the flying at his age to chase down southern and west coast kids that he doesn't think he has a realistic chance at. With Hop, Red, Mac, and possibly Harried(who I really hope Hop brings along), we'll have no issues grinding out for kids around the country.
Ride the Helicopter

Harried would be awesome we need a big man coach as the staff is really all guards right now.

HH would make a good free throw coach.

This thread has me happy in the pants.
tumblr_mi48qznjVY1qbvkmso1_500.jpg
Tee, this is a classic "Get" which is a throwback to one of the funniest posts ever. I think this photo was taken of Bjorn modeling his happy pants at a Cole Han fall product fashion show on Fire Island. Note the "light in the loafer" right foot slightly cocked toward the instep. That's the dead giveaway that we're looking at Bjorn here.

I think Miami, Minnesota, and possibly UCLA/Oregon is where Newton will end up. Personally I'm kind of surprise that we made his final list because the staff hardly watched him last month.
I wonder if our inclusion on Newton's final list may be some insight to IW's lean. Perhaps Newton is taking the idea of a "package deal" very seriously and knows that SU is where Whitehead wants to be. Or, maybe I'm reading more than I should into SU making the cut.

I wonder if our inclusion on Newton's final list may be some insight to IW's lean. Perhaps Newton is taking the idea of a "package deal" very seriously and knows that SU is where Whitehead wants to be. Or, maybe I'm reading more than I should into SU making the cut.
Outside of SU, Whitehead and Newton both list Minnesota, Miami, and UCLA. So you could make the insight point for any of those other schools as well, but I understand where you're coming from though.

Tee, this is a classic "Get" which is a throwback to one of the funniest posts ever. I think this photo was taken of Bjorn modeling his happy pants at a Cole Han fall product fashion show on Fire Island. Note the "light in the loafer" right foot slightly cocked toward the instep. That's the dead giveaway that we're looking at Bjorn here.
I knew he'd be back. :)

Francis, I couldn't take part in this discussion last night but I wanted to extend a thank you for doing this and all your hard work and contributions to this site (especially the pay side :D) . The astute posters on this board asked all the questions I wanted to anyway. You are The Man, Francis. Keep up the great work!

One request: when you become a famous recruiting guru on a national scale, please don't go to the Dark Side, 'The World Wide Leader (in diarrhea of the mouth)." Keep it classy.:cool:

Regarding Flynn and Wes flopping in the NBA, I always thought the staff could spin that into a positive, essentially saying "Look, we made some flawed players into top 5 picks/multi millionaires, imagine what we could do for you?", implying that said high school recruit was the better talent.

Or maybe Newton really likes us. We also have the Philly connection as well as the Neumann-Goretti connection to factor in.

I tend to agree with Francis that Joseph seems like the most likely to commit soon, but the fact that we made the cut with Newton recently suggests more than just token interest. I'm guessing that if the staff prioritized him [say, for example of Joseph ended up elsewhere], our chances would jump.

Well done, fellas.
:)

Off to camping with my boy, a friend and his son, nearly zero signal at this one site so I might miss some info...
but you know I'll find a way to log in. ;)
Camping trip cancelled. My son has a stye, doctor said he has to keep eye clean. Can't happen in a campsite with no water, and fire and smoke, etc doesn't help. So terribly disappointed. Sorry to be a downer but man, some tough news to my son and I.

Francis, I couldn't take part in this discussion last night but I wanted to extend a thank you for doing this and all your hard work and contributions to this site (especially the pay side :D) . The astute posters on this board asked all the questions I wanted to anyway. You are The Man, Francis. Keep up the great work!

One request: when you become a famous recruiting guru on a national scale, please don't go to the Dark Side, 'The World Wide Leader (in diarrhea of the mouth)." Keep it classy.:cool:
Thanks, I appreciate the kind words and always have a blast doing this.

Francis - Thanks for this thread. The whole recruiting process amazes me. I can't image being only 17 or 18 and having coaches, fans, and whole institutions laying out the red carpet for me.

So my question is this: Just how important is winning to these recruits? I get the impression that most recruits now a days would choose immediate playing time on a mid-level team rather than sitting for a year on a team that consistently wins.

Is there any truth to this, or am I way off base here?

Francis - Thanks for this thread. The whole recruiting process amazes me. I can't image being only 17 or 18 and having coaches, fans, and whole institutions laying out the red carpet for me.

So my question is this: Just how important is winning to these recruits? I get the impression that most recruits now a days would choose immediate playing time on a mid-level team rather than sitting for a year on a team that consistently wins.

Is there any truth to this, or am I way off base here?
It's true in some cases because the ultimate goal for most of these highly ranked players is to showcase their skills and get into the NBA asap. Most do value winning though because they come from winning programs in HS and with the examples of Melo and Anthony Davis over the past decade, most kids try to find a spot that fits both need for instant playing time and the best chance to go far in the tourney.

GMac is responsible for Buss Patterson and as mentioned the lead man for D. Jones. He's only in his 2nd year of recruiting on the staff so it's kind of hard to judge his recruiting, but I would expect him to get better and build more connections as time goes along.

If his past radio appearances are any indication, he's just not that enthusiastic when he talks about the Orange. A little monotone, deadpan, lots of coach-speak. He seems to lack the enthusiasm and people skills that comes naturally to Mike. He's got a great pedigree, and I hope he is building his story telling skills, because he sure has some great ones to tell.

So far 2015 studs Malachi Richardson and Derrick Jones said they're coming. I would expect McCullough to come through and show love most likely, along with possibly Whitehead, Newton, Joseph, Adams, Bryant, Crawford, Diagne, Yakwe, Diallo, Battle, Lydon, Turner, and just for a tease I wouldn't be shocked if Briscoe decides to come as well.

Geez, that is some group of talent. I'd love to see that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom