Class of 2020 - QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB Greg "Deuce" Spann II (FL) Committed to Illinois

When Fortin came onto our board this guy dropped off it.
Kinda interesting. Hopefully it was because the staff felt we had no chance at this guy. Or that they are so confident in getting Fortin. Even then it seems ridiculous that a team in desperate need of quarterbacks would seemingly put all their eggs in one basket. But hopefully there's a contingency plan

Kinda interesting. Hopefully it was because the staff felt we had no chance at this guy. Or that they are so confident in getting Fortin. Even then it seems ridiculous that a team in desperate need of quarterbacks would seemingly put all their eggs in one basket. But hopefully there's a contingency plan
I'm pretty confident we get Fortin.

That being said, I don't think it was a matter of eggs in one basket as much as it was chasing a kid we weren't a favorite for...

I know a lot of people have asked about how Fortin feels about having TD being a junior and returning starter but I'm curious on how TD feels about Fortin possibly coming to the Hill and replacing him? I don't know, I just don't see 4 star kids waiting around on the bench throughout the country for playing time. Might be an interesting spring.

I know a lot of people have asked about how Fortin feels about having TD being a junior and returning starter but I'm curious on how TD feels about Fortin possibly coming to the Hill and replacing him? I don't know, I just don't see 4 star kids waiting around on the bench throughout the country for playing time. Might be an interesting spring.
Far from a given he'd beat TD out.

You better look at Alabama, OSU, Clemson, they all have 4* setting the bench for playing time. Not to mention the commits they have this year already.

If he can feel pressure properly in the pocket he'll beat him out...
If he can slide for a first down instead of 3 yards short he'll beat him out... should we start a list?

I've said it before, but if we want to play big time football we need to act like a big time program. Who cares about feelings, if Tommy is who we think he is the competition should make him stronger. If he wants to transfer because he's afraid of a kid who hasn't taken a snap for the program than good riddance.

If Tommy is triggered there are plenty of safe spaces on campus thanks to the latest protests.

I've said it before, but if we want to play big time football we need to act like a big time program. Who cares about feelings, if Tommy is who we think he is the competition should make him stronger. If he wants to transfer because he's afraid of a kid who hasn't taken a snap for the program than good riddance.
Those are my same sentiments Bnoro, I glad you brought it out like that. I wanted to say the same exact thing but I felt if I did I would be debating a dozen TD fans which I too like him but if someone can beat him out and make us a better team, I would be ok with it too. TD has to improve is a few areas.

Last edited:
Those are my same sentiments Bnoro, I glad you brought it out like that. I wanted to say the same exact thing but I felt if I did I would be debating a dozen TD fans which I too like him but if someone can beat him out and make us a better team, I would be ok with it too. TD has to improve is a few areas.
He doesn't even need to beat him out though. I think Tommy will be much improved next season, but if there's someone that is pushing him for the starting job, he could be even better. That competition brings out the best and we don't have anyone that can do that right now. That's the biggest issue, IMO.

He doesn't even need to beat him out though. I think Tommy will be much improved next season, but if there's someone that is pushing him for the starting job, he could be even better. That competition brings out the best and we don't have anyone that can do that right now. That's the biggest issue, IMO.

This is the case at practically every P5 program that isn't a doormat. If you want to be part of a successful program, you are going to have talent behind you at every position.

Talent infusion is needed for the long-term health of any program. If guys are afraid of that, then they shouldn't be playing P5 football in the first place.

Just like DeVito's presence may have spurred on Dungey his last year (2018).

this, this and all of this.

competition is good. REALLY good actually.

this, this and all of this.

competition is good. REALLY good actually.
Just some consistent depth would be nice. Between injuries, giving different looks, changing flow of a game and the competitive push, it’s a must needed and desired position to be in for any program. One SU has sorely been missing. That said, the transfer situations have got to be a nightmare for coaches having to appease to keep them home and out of the portal. It’s created a horrible vacuum.

Just some consistent depth would be nice. Between injuries, giving different looks, changing flow of a game and the competitive push, it’s a must needed and desired position to be in for any program. One SU has sorely been missing.

A true RPO guy would be a great change of pace and give defenses more to think about.

You better look at Alabama, OSU, Clemson, they all have 4* setting the bench for playing time. Not to mention the commits they have this year already.

When I look at Alabama, OSU (by the way where did LSU get their QB?) and Clemson I see 3 schools that compete for national Championships every year. Why did Fortin leave UNC? He was beat out for the starting position.

I am speaking of being able to keep a 4 star QB on the roster when he has (if this all falls out) been beat out. While I would love to have SU keep this type of quality at QB the real world says otherwise. Hope you are right and both are on the roster in the fall of 2020 and no one will be more thrilled to see that than me.