Class of 2020 - QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2020 QB JaCobian Morgan (MS) COMMITTED / SIGNED TO SYRACUSE (1/26/20)

First and foremost I like any player who wants to wear orange and blue!

That being said in a perfect world, I’m not sure this is “the guy” we all would want for the class of ‘20 and is slotted to be a starter when Devito departs. Not a slight! I think the kid has good skills. But, typically there’s a reason someone doesn’t have practically any offers. Essentially what I am saying is we are in the desperation level of this class and if we were not in desperation mode (as in if we landed TVD early in cycle like originally thought, etc) then this recruit is not on our board as obvious as that sounds, I know.

With that being said! I trust our staff. If our new OC and Dino were on board then I’m on board. I hope he has a chip on his shoulder and works hard and becomes “the kid everyone never noticed”.

This also brings up another possibility that Dino is taking 2 QBs this cycle. He wants bodies and will let competition determine the future QB. I think that’s the direction we should go, and I’m sure the staff has some thoughts about this as well.

He looks the part and throws a nice ball. The deep ball is effortless for him so he has a big arm. Im a fan of big QBs as their sight lines are so much better. As i posted before there are dozens of collegiate programs led by QBs that were unknown, or very lightly recruited.
JMU, NDSU, WMU, Appalachian State, Navy. Army... Dozens of good QBs.
Just look at Dino. 3 schools. 3 very prolific QBs none of which were highly recruited or rated. QBs are a crap shoot.
This kid has the physical attributes of a good QB. Time will tell.

He didn't look that mobile to me in the pocket. He may have a bit of elusiveness, but I think that's the major concern. He does have a strong arm, and throws an effortless and accurate deep ball. He's going to need to spend a lot of time on footwork, but he's got tools to work with.

He didn't look that mobile to me in the pocket. He may have a bit of elusiveness, but I think that's the major concern. He does have a strong arm, and throws an effortless and accurate deep ball. He's going to need to spend a lot of time on footwork, but he's got tools to work with.

Agreed. When he broke the pocket in his highlights he was still 100 pct throwing it vs looking to pick up yards with his legs.

If you look across the cfb landscape, the number of QBs who aren't running threats are slim because their team isn't going anywhere that year.

My faith in the staff to recruit QB's is really wavering and that's belief with evidence. Never thought I would dream of the days when we were recruiting against MAC schools. And I loved Dungey's film at the time-This film isn't in the same stratosphere. Little mobility, locks onto 1 receiver, little footwork.
I know everyone feels the need to write to trust the staff because they feel there's no other choice, but after the last 4 years and our depth chart, it's difficult. Bash away

Where’s the Dino tweet? Seems very odd. Maybe with the things happening in the sports world he held off?

My faith in the staff to recruit QB's is really wavering and that's belief with evidence. Never thought I would dream of the days when we were recruiting against MAC schools. And I loved Dungey's film at the time-This film isn't in the same stratosphere. Little mobility, locks onto 1 receiver, little footwork.
I know everyone feels the need to write to trust the staff because they feel there's no other choice, but after the last 4 years and our depth chart, it's difficult. Bash away
MAC would be a few steps up from the SWAC and Ohio Valley Conferences.

There are no coal mines in Mississippi. We really don’t need Babers trying to take a page out of Gerry’s Scranton playbook.

Two things to think about.

1) This feels like a Gilbert recruit / project
2) Because he's from Mississippi, I'm wondering if he was likely going the JUCO route (EMCC, Northwest MS, etc) until Cuse came in. If this kid is P5 quality, maybe it's just a head start in his development.

Are we not prepared to welcome him as the second coming like we did Kenterius?
I admit, I got pulled in on Kenterius. I had two buddies that coach college football watch his film. They had me convinced he was the next McNabb. i trusted their evals. I let my fan spirit take over with that one Lol

Last edited:
First and foremost I like any player who wants to wear orange and blue!

That being said in a perfect world, I’m not sure this is “the guy” we all would want for the class of ‘20 and is slotted to be a starter when Devito departs.

David Summers will have a say in this and we'll be all in on a 2021 QB.

Talked to his coach and he confirmed this is a scholarship. Says a lot of guys from Canton haven't been recruited because of grades, but he's made big improvements since taking over three years ago. Morgan isn't a Gilbert guy and I'm under the impression that the connection here is with Canton's DC and Babers -- something like the DC's mentor coached Dino at Hawaii or something like that. Believe the primary is either Lustig or Ferri.

Other offers are Jackson State and some JUCOs. Process was very quick -- took about two weeks from SU getting film to visits and the commitment.

I don’t like the fact that it only showed one highlight of him running in a touchdown that was less than ten yards. I agree with some others that if your quarterback can’t threaten to run then you will struggle to move the ball. I don’t know what it was exactly, but the highlight video seemed slow. I haven’t had my coffee yet so that may play a part on my comments. It is as if the league he plays in isn’t very competitive or is comprised of smaller schools. Maybe someone more familiar with Mississippi football can correct me. I’m not trying to rain on this kid’s parade and I hope he proves me wrong and dominates. I also trust the coaches to make the right decisions. Go Cuse.

I admit, I got pulled in on Kenteriius. I had two buddies that coach college football watch him film. They had me convinced he was the next McNabb. i trusted their evals. I let my fan spirit take over with that one Lol
Anyone who says they didn’t convince themselves Womack would deliver us from evil, for at least a couple weeks, is lying. Those were dark times.

Maybe the staff had better film on him?
Maybe the staff spent more then 10 minutes watching one highlight reel?
Time will tell as to how this kid turns out.
I'm thinking we still take another QB and Jacobian can get plenty of time to improve before needed.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoachDiddi

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom