Class of 2019 - QB Joey Yellen (CA) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 QB Joey Yellen (CA)

So because Tommy didn't have "major offers" because he was committed so early he doesn't count? Also, pretty sure a good chunk of his offers were for him to play WR. I'm not panicking, would rather have Devito.
The question is what happens when Devito goes down?

Why cant our staff recruit a QB in three weeks and convince a good one to come here? Other "worse" schools and supposedly worse staffs with worse systems seem to be able to without an issue.

Our staff had an entire recruiting cycle to convince a kid to come here and couldn't. You don't think that is a bit concerning.

It seems the coaching staffs change but the recruiting seems to stay the same or get worse.

So because Tommy didn't have "major offers" because he was committed so early he doesn't count? Also, pretty sure a good chunk of his offers were for him to play WR. I'm not panicking, would rather have Devito.
Id call the A&M offer major

Tommy was a good get. I'm talking since that time, it's been last minute hopes and prayers. The fact that the only one you can reference is someone who's about to be a redshirt junior demonstrates my point.

Why cant our staff recruit a QB in three weeks and convince a good one to come here? Other "worse" schools and supposedly worse staffs with worse systems seem to be able to without an issue.

Our staff had an entire recruiting cycle to convince a kid to come here and couldn't. You don't think that is a bit concerning.

It seems the coaching staffs change but the recruiting seems to stay the same or get worse.

I think this is a valid concern, especially since our back up QB has played significant minutes every year in the past 5 years. Interestingly, 2 of the last 3 years our back up qb was the starting qb in the final game of the season, and, in both of those years those back up qbs were walk-ons.

That's said, Syracuse has had problems gathering quality depth at this position since the end of the coach P era so there might be a bigger issue involved in solving this dilemma then this particular coaching staff.

I think this is a valid concern, especially since our back up QB has played significant minutes every year in the past 5 years. Interestingly, 2 of the last 3 years our back up qb was the starting qb in the final game of the season, and, in both of those years those back up qbs were walk-ons.

That's said, Syracuse has had problems gathering quality depth at this position since the end of the coach P era so there might be a bigger issue involved in solving this dilemma then this particular coaching staff.
Summers comes in to Stone Cold theme music

The crowd goes wild and Summers goes nuts as he tosses six TD and rushes for two more to lead the Orange to a 75-35 victory over Clemson

Then we wake up

2018 depth was Dungey, Devito, and Aime. No one was panicking then. Dungey graduates and Aimee decides to leave the program leaving us where we were this fall. I'd be shocked if the stable of QB'S is what it is now when enter fall practice in August. There are a ton of high schoolers still available and the portal seemingly has new, quality players entering daily. Start panicking if it's July and we don't have anyone.

2018 depth was Dungey, Devito, and Aime. No one was panicking then. Dungey graduates and Aimee decides to leave the program leaving us where we were this fall. I'd be shocked if the stable of QB'S is what it is now when enter fall practice in August. There are a ton of high schoolers still available and the portal seemingly has new, quality players entering daily. Start panicking if it's July and we don't have anyone.
...With the above, and Clayton and Culpepper in the wings. We thought we were loaded.

I think some other 2019 recruits figured we were loaded too. Then Dungey graduates. Aimee bails on us. Culpepper had his health problems. Our OL went in the tank. It’s been a perfect storm of circumstances. Not saying coaches couldn’t have recruited better. But luck and perception play a big part too.
Going to have to look for a Juco or portal guy and probably a unheralded HS player. Maybe someone who is coming on late or is smallish or whose grades may be scaring off some other teams. Time to get creative. Fortunately this is something Babers and Co have done well at times.

Absolutely no reason to panic now at this point either, lots of time to still make a quality move and get a qb in this class. It's not ideal that the staff has missed on its targets, and the question remains as to why given the system that we run and the controlled environment in which we play, but I think there are plenty of other factors outside of the coaching staff/recruiters that go into that outcome. One of the strengths of this staff IMO is being able to find quality solutions to address these holes/imbalances, and I think they will again.

Absolutely no reason to panic now at this point either, lots of time to still make a quality move and get a qb in this class. It's not ideal that the staff has missed on its targets, and the question remains as to why given the system that we run and the controlled environment in which we play, but I think there are plenty of other factors outside of the coaching staff/recruiters that go into that outcome. One of the strengths of this staff IMO is being able to find quality solutions to address these holes/imbalances, and I think they will again.
Yeah, I agree. Maybe part of the problem is that the up tempo offense isn't that unique anymore. As others have suggested here.

There’s also a signing day coming up in February. If a QB or two hasn’t been added by that point, then I’ll worry.

...With the above, and Clayton and Culpepper in the wings. We thought we were loaded.

I think some other 2019 recruits figured we were loaded too. Then Dungey graduates. Aimee bails on us. Culpepper had his health problems. Our OL went in the tank. It’s been a perfect storm of circumstances. Not saying coaches couldn’t have recruited better. But luck and perception play a big part too.
Going to have to look for a Juco or portal guy and probably a unheralded HS player. Maybe someone who is coming on late or is smallish or whose grades may be scaring off some other teams. Time to get creative. Fortunately this is something Babers and Co have done well at times.
Couldn't agree more with this. I also think some give up way to soon on the young players when they don't make an immediate impact their freshman year. It's a huge adjustment for almost all of these kids in college. Summers was verbally committed to Maryland before flipping to us and had offers from a few peer programs.

Couldn't agree more with this. I also think some give up way to soon on the young players when they don't make an immediate impact their freshman year. It's a huge adjustment for almost all of these kids in college. Summers was verbally committed to Maryland before flipping to us and had offers from a few peer programs.
Right. Kinda like the LSU QB who blew up this year?

I agree with what you wrote but Dino did replace Welch with Gunther as they both were/are walk on's.

A 4 star QB who had several offers from major schools

Tommy was a 4 star and an elite 11 finalist. And a UA All American. And he had 8 offers including Texas A&M and Ole Miss and probably would have had more had he not committed so early to us.

You want to complain about the last 2 years, fine, but stop with the nonsense.

And he didn’t come off the transfer market like this kid to Rutgers is.

"When" is the operative word (not "if").
My memory isn't what it used to be, but I can't recall a recent season when our back-up QB hasn't been called upon for one reason or another.

All I want is to bring someone in who will push TD to his full potential. He was advertised as the next great QB at SU, Again all we wanted him was to do was to make smart decisions and get the ball into the receivers hands. Unfortunately neither didn't happen enough.

Yes, many other teams have gone to up-tempo offensive pacing; what we need to go with that is a style of attacking offense that stresses the opponents D in innovative ways that forces their D to get confused as to what we are doing. So far, we pretty much telegraph our O plays so we are easy to defend.

I think our OL play this year scared some kids.
I think there is truth in that statement. When you just about have the worst oline in college ball, that knowledge spreads like wildfire. It’s either kids in school, other players or parents or coaches that will bring that up. When TD gets shelled for over 40 sacks...smh...it’s a problem not just internally with the team but you know deal fair or not with a perception problem. Good callout on that All4su as painful as that may be to hear.

All I want is to bring someone in who will push TD to his full potential. He was advertised as the next great QB at SU, Again all we wanted him was to do was to make smart decisions and get the ball into the receivers hands. Unfortunately neither didn't happen enough.

this is the issue. By the numbers, he’s 100% on track to be the next great QB at SU. He has a lot to learn but he’s on track. We are comparing him to a senior

this is the issue. By the numbers, he’s 100% on track to be the next great QB at SU. He has a lot to learn but he’s on track. We are comparing him to a senior

We had Paulus to be cannon fodder Nassib’s Frosh year, so he wouldn’t get destroyed taking a ton of sacks like Tommy did this year.

Nassib wasn’t really the great QB we all remember until his Sr year.
And even then - not until Pugh came back.
How many 1st round draft picks protected Tommy this past season?? :rolleyes:

I know, I know - back to Yellen.

HOW’S THIS???!!! :p

We had Paulus to be cannon fodder Nassib’s Frosh year, so he wouldn’t get destroyed taking a ton of sacks like Tommy did this year.

Nassib wasn’t really the great QB we all remember until his Sr year.
And even then - not until Pugh came back.
How many 1st round draft picks protected Tommy this past season?? :rolleyes:

I know, I know - back to Yellen.

HOW’S THIS???!!! :p
lump_of_coal03.jpg