QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

Last year they were fine, there’s really no reason to think that’ll change this year.
Yes, because losing NFL level players like Bergeron, Williams, Tucker, and Jones; along with tranfers, Chestnut and Carter doesn't change the equation.:rolleyes:
Defenses focused a ton on stopping Sean Tucker last year. Made everyone else's job a lot easier on offense; that's gone.

Yes, because losing NFL level players like Bergeron, Williams, Tucker, and Jones; along with tranfers, Chestnut and Carter doesn't change the equation.:rolleyes:
And before them syracuse lost other players who people thought “how will we ever replace them!”

How sad it is to be Syracuse, the only school that EVER loses players.

I agree, especially at QB, this position more than any other (per capita) I’d be willing to bet has the highest portal rate.

But, we still need people there. I don’t know the solution, but I know it stings more with less depth when you lose a talented backup.
Have to get a portal player who is willing to sit or be the backup for a year or two.

One would expect a bad game from him, but not an AJ Long type performance to a Pitt team that had lost 3 of 4 games giving up 30.25 ppg.

From what I have seen thus far from CDRW I think a good comparison is BC Anthony Brown, who at times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. By his 6th year in college Brown was good overall, although he had a few stinkers in there.

I have little faith this year for CDRW should we need him. Next year he will be the man by default. If he is decent we get him one additional year. If he is bad or good, he likely transfers out (assuming he graduates on time).

It’s amazing what you can tell about a future college QB based on 1.5 games with almost no practice time and field experience when he was “thrown” into that situation.

One would expect a bad game from him, but not an AJ Long type performance to a Pitt team that had lost 3 of 4 games giving up 30.25 ppg.

From what I have seen thus far from CDRW I think a good comparison is BC Anthony Brown, who at times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. By his 6th year in college Brown was good overall, although he had a few stinkers in there.

I have little faith this year for CDRW should we need him. Next year he will be the man by default. If he is decent we get him one additional year. If he is bad or good, he likely transfers out (assuming he graduates on time).
Yup he was 8-23 for 120. Was I disappointed in his performance? Yes. When I re watch games I look at everything. Playing against the #22 and #23 defenses in the country. Vs Pitt he had no run game, safe play calling, bad protection, unfavorable down and distance situations etc.. He has time to get better and I'm sure he's shown signs of improvements with the staff. I'm not sure how good Carlos will be. He might not be the answer. I'm just not into evaluating players with two totally different scenarios.

agree with this. even in the spring game, never saw him have to make a read. it was always the first option and he was locked on from the snap. To be honest, that was my biggest concern watching him and i posted about it.

The reality is -- I think SU needs a mobile QB. We will never have a dominant OL for a traditional QB. Mobile QBs are a necessity.
Good points on first read and QB mobility. I think people saw the first throws of each QB and developed a perception.

Not good as I have very little confidence in CDRW. Honestly can’t blame Lamson.

Garrett Williams has tape. Come on dude, you know that’s apples to oranges at best.
Come on dude, you are jumping in and entirely missed the context. I acknowledged lack of actual playing was an issue, but my initial point was his knee injury would not preclude him from getting a spot somewhere He is not going to be anointed a starter wherever he goes without earning it and he likely won’t be going to a P5 if he is going for playing time.

It’s amazing what you can tell about a future college QB based on 1.5 games with almost no practice time and field experience when he was “thrown” into that situation.

Not speculating about next season. So we are talking just this season. And why do you think I am completely giving up on him?

Based on what we have seen from last year and the Spring game, how can anyone be high on him? It is clear as day that he lacks accuracy. There is still plenty of time for him to develop for when he takes over next season. And I hope that he does otherwise we will be in big trouble. But I don't think a leap will come between now and this fall. Which worries the hell out of me as he is the only option should Shrader go down.

I expect him to play a lot vs Colgate. He should get some time vs Western Michigan and Army. He might get some time vs FSU. By then he needs to be ready in case we need him in the last 5 games. At this point I am worried, but what he does in playing time this year can certainly change that.

Come on dude, you are jumping in and entirely missed the context. I acknowledged lack of actual playing was an issue, but my initial point was his knee injury would not preclude him from getting a spot somewhere He is not going to be anointed a starter wherever he goes without earning it and he likely won’t be going to a P5 if he is going for playing time.
Alone it doesn't preclude him, but it impacts a Lamson very different than Williams. They're just not a good comparison, even for the sake of hyperbole.

Alone it doesn't preclude him, but it impacts a Lamson very different than Williams. They're just not a good comparison, even for the sake of hyperbole.
I think it’s great for hyperbole when the context is knee only as it was here.

I think it’s great for hyperbole when the context is knee only as it was here.
But its not knee only, its knee injury with vastly different talent levels (NFL pro versus middling 2/3 string QB)

I remember after the Spring Game Dino was asked which QB had the better game, to which Dino said it was too close to call and he’d have to see the film. I suspect Lamson either was told CDRW is QB2 or it was still undecided.

No P5 school should be worried about having a viable QB#1 or #2 in the portal era. There are only so many opportunities and 4* kids at schools higher up the food chain will be looking for playing time we can provide.

I'd reserve my hand wringing for OL. Harder to come by, more time to develop, etc.

But its not knee only, its knee injury with vastly different talent levels (NFL pro versus middling 2/3 string QB)
Obviously in the big picture that is true, but again, not the context.

Everyone saying they want depth. Who wants to come here/be here and sit ? I truly don’t understand what’s so hard to get about this. And if Lamson was that good, he would be the starter

If you played on a team in high school, you should know how sports work, FFS. Not everybody can be a starter on Day One. In fact, most players can't.

No P5 school should be worried about having a viable QB#1 or #2 in the portal era. There are only so many opportunities and 4* kids at schools higher up the food chain will be looking for playing time we can provide.

I'd reserve my hand wringing for OL. Harder to come by, more time to develop, etc.

Yeah, but there are no mid-season transfers. If one of our QBs who quit had remained, he might have won his starting job back, or at least helped us make a bowl game that year.

Yeah, but there are no mid-season transfers. If one of our QBs who quit had remained, he might have won his starting job back, or at least helped us make a bowl game that year.
Ha at winning the job back. Shrader should have been benched during the Clemson game. That would have assured Devito that he would have had a shot to get his job back. With as poorly as Garrett played, he never saw the bench. That was the writing on the wall. Babers handled that poorly.

Ha at winning the job back. Shrader should have been benched during the Clemson game. That would have assured Devito that he would have had a shot to get his job back. With as poorly as Garrett played, he never saw the bench. That was the writing on the wall. Babers handled that poorly.
Babers has a history of picking a guy and going with him no matter what.

You want to bench the starting QB in a game that was 14-7 until 9:30 mins left in the game, and then 17-14 with 7:15 left? All the while knowing that the guy on the bench had failed in his past 3 years, including given a similar opportunity vs Rutgers?

I've decided that I don't care.

Don't care at all.

Tell me who's on the roster the night before the first game.

Following HS recruiting, offseason practices, the portal, and all of that is a recipe for needless anxiety and depression.

I've decided that I don't care.

Don't care at all.

Tell me who's on the roster the night before the first game.

Following HS recruiting, offseason practices, the portal, and all of that is a recipe for needless anxiety and depression.

Yep agree 100%, I have said that from the day the season ended. It's just too much because it's so easy for everyone to just come and go especially if you have not transferred once yet. So many of them are going to come and go. I mean the average is what 16 guys per roster? Syracuse is no different. Losing valuable pieces is just common day to day stuff now and yeah we will replace with some talent that is somewhat an unknown entity while the big boys will poach some of our better players but that's just the way it's going to go. Show me the roster on 8/27.

If it’s one thing we can count on with college football it’s the rules always changing. For those who are discouraged, how things are now are practically guaranteed to change eventually.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom