QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

My problem with the QB room is that none of them are very good (portal or no portal). Nor do we have a functioning OL. Or WRs that scare anyone. Or a legit D1 backup RB that is also one injury away from starting. Or an actual proven blocking TE who is flexible enough to run a route and catch the ball. Or a staff who’s proactively addressing critical needs before it’s obvious on gameday that critical pieces are missing.

I’m concerned.

Yep was so hopeful for him, then the Pitt game happened…..
Kancey Baldonaldo Alexandre and Dennis had something to do with that. 6 sacks and pressures. 10 carries for 19 yards for Tucker. Thats asking Carlos to do too much against a nasty front 7.

My problem with the QB room is that none of them are very good (portal or no portal). Nor do we have a functioning OL. Or WRs that scare anyone. Or a legit D1 backup RB that is also one injury away from starting. Or an actual proven blocking TE who is flexible enough to run a route and catch the ball. Or a staff who’s proactively addressing critical needs before it’s obvious on gameday that critical pieces are missing.

I’m concerned.
Thanks for your input Eeyore

I’m concerned.
Rachel Dratch Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live

I don't really get how the QB room was overflowing with good. Lamson is a total unknown in live action and CDRW, who was good against, ND, was totally inept against Pitt who had time to prepare for him. We are making it out like we have Simms and Hostetler in the room.

At least having competition between players with somewhat different skill sets gave us options if Shrader gets hurt again. Now, that's gone. We've got just 1 guy. How many of the last 10 seasons have we played more than one guy at QB?

Whomever officially lost the QB2 job in fall camp would have left this fall so I guess the band-aid has been ripped off now

I just went back and looked, and we have had at least 2, and sometimes 3, quarterbacks get at least 50 pass attempts every single year since 2012, Nassib's last year.

Some years, we have had 3 different guys start for us in that 11 year stretch, three or four times, in fact. You can't win college football games without viable depth at certain key positions.

He needed tape to shop himself. He barely has anything on film schools are going to want to see him move post injury.
This, I think he was always planning to transfer but needed that spring game tape post injury to have anything at all to market.

I honestly think he was QB3. Could he have passed CDRW over the next year and spring? Maybe, but CDRW is a way better fit for this offense and was always likely ahead. Decision making was probably the only think Lamson actually had over CDRW. This hurts for depth, but I really don’t think this is us losing the QB of the future. Sellers remains the only loss that really hurt this year.

From my SU Football preview two years ago:

Lamson is a true freshman recruit who also reminds people of Dungey. (We used to look for the next Donovan McNabb. Now we look for the next Eric Dungey. Steele lists him as the #78 QB recruit in the country but says nothing beyond that. 247, (which has him as the 63rd best QB recruit, with no distinction between type of QB): “Versatile athlete, was an all-state safety early in career before taking over the reins at quarterback. Strong build, fluid athlete and can run, with good pocket awareness and knowing when to tuck and run or stand tall in the pocket. Can throw on the run. Good job going through progressions and can make all the throws, short, intermediate and deep. As he gets more starting reps should really flourish.” They list him as a 3-star, which leaves open the question of how many stars he would have if he went to say, Southern Cal, (he’s a California kid). He had no senior season in high school due to Covid and enrolled early at SU so he’s had spring as well as fall practice. Babers: “Justin has done some things that are unique in spring ball and some things that are very predictable for a guy that’s supposed to be getting ready to go to his prom in Disneyland.”

Here is a more detailed review of his skills from SI:

https://www.si.com/college/syracuse/recruiting/recruit-of-the-week-justin-lamson

Here is his high school highlight film:

It’s similar to Shrader’s except it’s against high school completion and any bad plays are edited out. I do sense that Lamson might be a little more likely than Shrader to keep pass plays going as long as possible before tucking the ball and running.

This, I think he was always planning to transfer but needed that spring game tape post injury to have anything at all to market.

I honestly think he was QB3. Could he have passed CDRW over the next year and spring? Maybe, but CDRW is a way better fit for this offense and was always likely ahead. Decision making was probably the only think Lamson actually had over CDRW. This hurts for depth, but I really don’t think this is us losing the QB of the future. Sellers remains the only loss that really hurt this year.
How do you know this? When was Lamson ever forced to make decisions in this offense? We've seen him go against back ups and mid enrollee CB's. Its been mostly short game, 1 read plays.

Lol. I am not doing the shopping and I already mentioned his lost playing time. I am saying his knee will not be his issue.
So can I assume you think Garret Williams shouldn’t have been drafted then?
Garrett Williams has tape. Come on dude, you know that’s apples to oranges at best.

Let's face it. we're never going to have football depth because the back-ups won't stay and you can't get back-ups out of the portal.
Syracuse hasn’t had depth in 20 years.

What’s odd is he knew going into this year that GS is the starter, so why not transfer before? I guess do your rehab and then see what options are out there. Hopefully, he changes his mind and wants to compete to start next year or potentially play this year if an injury occurs.

I’m concerned.
Not a single thing you said was different last year.

How do you know this? When was Lamson ever forced to make decisions in this offense? We've seen him go against back ups and mid enrollee CB's. Its been mostly short game, 1 read plays.
agree with this. even in the spring game, never saw him have to make a read. it was always the first option and he was locked on from the snap. To be honest, that was my biggest concern watching him and i posted about it.

The reality is -- I think SU needs a mobile QB. We will never have a dominant OL for a traditional QB. Mobile QBs are a necessity.

There are literally hundreds of QBs. Obviously there will be more movement around than before. The question is, if you’re a decent QB who is a viable backup, would you rather be #3 at OSU or Bama, or #3 at SU. Seems like chances to move up are better at SU.

Kancey Baldonaldo Alexandre and Dennis had something to do with that. 6 sacks and pressures. 10 carries for 19 yards for Tucker. Thats asking Carlos to do too much against a nasty front 7.

One would expect a bad game from him, but not an AJ Long type performance to a Pitt team that had lost 3 of 4 games giving up 30.25 ppg.

From what I have seen thus far from CDRW I think a good comparison is BC Anthony Brown, who at times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. By his 6th year in college Brown was good overall, although he had a few stinkers in there.

I have little faith this year for CDRW should we need him. Next year he will be the man by default. If he is decent we get him one additional year. If he is bad or good, he likely transfers out (assuming he graduates on time).

Sellers would be taking over.
Not sure about Carlos. He has an enormous amount of talent but can he put it all together?
My guess is yes because of Beck. I believe that Beck will Tailor the offense to take advantage of Carlos skills. Its possible that Beck sees more upside, possibly way more upside in Carlos based on his arm strength and athleticism. Coming out of HS he was very highly rated. All the blue chips wanted him so you know hes got talent. Time will tell but i dont think weve had a higher rated QB on the team.

We have 2 scholarship quarterbacks. 2.

I remember seasons, fairly recently, where we got down to QB 4. Not for performance reasons either.

They better start pounding the portal.
I think that having that many scholarship QBs on roster was more likely BP, before portal, when a kid would have to sit out a year if he transferred. Now if a kid doesn't think he is going to get immediate playing time he can portal. This is especially true for the QB postition.

I think that having that many scholarship QBs on roster was more likely BP, before portal, when a kid would have to sit out a year if he transferred. Now if a kid doesn't think he is going to get immediate playing time he can portal. This is especially true for the QB postition.
I agree, especially at QB, this position more than any other (per capita) I’d be willing to bet has the highest portal rate.

But, we still need people there. I don’t know the solution, but I know it stings more with less depth when you lose a talented backup.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom