QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

Whomever officially lost the QB2 job in fall camp would have left this fall so I guess the band-aid has been ripped off now

People seem to forget that he almost brought us back against ND. We barely moved the ball until he came in, and he made some great throws.
He did , but then looked completely lost against Pitt. I know Lamson clearly looked better in the spring game…. which might mean absolutely nothing.

Did CDRW go up against one defense outside the top 30?

Was the O Line ever healthy with him?
Right. Our entire offense was awful the second half of the year when injuries mounted and the schedule got brutal.

I think we possibly should consider giving him real run and letting him run the normal offense and throw the ball in any early season blowouts that we have, because chances are high we’ll need him at some point come October/November.

And playing in 2 spring games against reserves, and can't hurt the QB doesn't show whether you can run the team in life action.
Once again, never said it could. Look, it appears that you just want to argue with someone. Let me save you the time and trouble and say pick someone else. Whomever Syracuse has as their backup QB doesn’t have a major impact on my life. Have a nice night.

I dont think Lamson looked all that better. Plus the real scrimmage they evaluated was the week before. Spring game was just for show.
I agree with you. I know I didn't check on each play if reserves were in on D. Both QBs looked good in the spring game at different times. I still trust the staff. They picked and developed Schraeder when half the fans wanted TD. They'll develop a talented CDRW, too. And look out once the receivers get used to that bullet he throws. QB3 will work itself out.

There's dozens of QBs in the portal. Syracuse's starting QB will be moving on after the upcoming season. There should be plenty of options who will be happy to come in and compete for a starting position. Life goes on. With a bit of luck from the football gods...maybe a quick sacrifice of 20 goats to make sure they are happy, we can make through 2023 with QB1 and now CDRW or aka QB2.

I wouldn't.
Me either. They need to bring someone else in. We’ve already got serious questions with the OL and being 2 injuries away from not having a scholarship QB is nuts.

My first question to Coach Babers when his show starts up again in the fall will be: How do you create the 'La Familia'/'Ohana' atmosphere in the era of players jumping to the pros or entering the transfer portal? (Or was that ever possible to begin with?)

I don't really get how the QB room was overflowing with good. Lamson is a total unknown in live action and CDRW, who was good against, ND, was totally inept against Pitt who had time to prepare for him. We are making it out like we have Simms and Hostetler in the room.
The offensive line was an absolute sieve in the Pitt game. Patrick Mahomes would have had trouble getting completions.

I agree with you. I know I didn't check on each play if reserves were in on D. Both QBs looked good in the spring game at different times. I still trust the staff. They picked and developed Schraeder when half the fans wanted TD. They'll develop a talented CDRW, too. And look out once the receivers get used to that bullet he throws. QB3 will work itself out.
Good points. I do think Carlos has the tendency to force throws into tight windows because of his arm strength. Let’s see if the staff can clean that up.

I dont think Lamson looked all that better. Plus the real scrimmage they evaluated was the week before. Spring game was just for show.
on your first line, we just disagree.

Wouldn't be an SU season without uncertain QB depth

Let's face it. we're never going to have football depth because the back-ups won't stay and you can't get back-ups out of the portal.

Villari get moved back to QB?
You don't move Villari unless QB1 goes down. Even then the staff would have to think he's better than McPhail which I'm not sure if that is the case or not. But i'm not sure if Shrader, CDRW, McPhail and emergency Villari is enough QB talent for 2023. I think we need another. Problem is who can you possibly get that would come? Unlikely there are any good 2023 freshman unsigned. This player knows they are not starting this year. It would need to be a QB who wants to compete for QB1 in 2024 against CDRW. Maybe a kid with either 3 more years left like CDRW or possibly 4 years left. I think that player will unlikely be as good as CDRW and lose out and end up being a depth player which is fine I guess. But still seems necessary to bring in another to me. Unless they feel pretty good about McPhail as a QB3 this year and they want to be able to sell the wide open depth chart opportunity to bring in two stud 2024 freshman QB's.

Let's face it. we're never going to have football depth because the back-ups won't stay and you can't get back-ups out of the portal.
We just got one last cycle - CDRW

A program like SU can never stop adding to QB room - make multiple HS and portal offers, do whatever it takes. Need to add at least 1-2 EVERY cycle. I get that this is much easier said than done, especially in the era of the portal and NIL. But this needs to be the mark to shoot for.

I had hopes that Lamson would be a serviceable #2. You are supposed to look good in the Spring game so I didn't take a whole lot from his performance. That being said CDRW worries the hell out of me. He looked so bad last year and IMO had a bad Spring game where it is hard to NOT look good. He has all the physical tools but he looks nothing like a QB to me.

Do we know that he won't come back to us? Maybe it was a matter of seeing what comes his way, and if it does, he has choices?

so we lose LaNorris, Jacobian and Justin in the last 4+ months.
That's a quite a punch for a program to absorb at the QB position.
I'd like to hear Dino's "take" on this.
We lose out on our top HS QBs all the time. LaNorris stayed committed longer which gave us hope (along with our awesome QB coach, now OC), but he stayed home.

JaCobian was emergency depth.

Justin is talented, but if he thought he was 3rd string and thinks he has options in the transfer portal - I’m not shocked and no neither was the staff.

Look around. This is happening everywhere. We still have 2 4* SEC transfers. And it’s the portal era. Options exist.

So yeah, sky not falling

on your first line, we just disagree.
Carlos got off to a slow start with the back up O line. Couple of high throws. Tried to force was in. Kauhi also gave up two easy pressures which ended drives. Lamson started off sharp with quick game and curl routes. TD pass to Jones was nice. He missed two throws to Jones later on. Carlos looked better running. The run game looked better overall when he was in there. When he had the starting line he threw two TD passes to Hatcher. Best throw of the night was actually a deep ball to Long that was played well by the DB.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom