QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 30 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

Would not give up on CDRW so soon. Had a good game and a game where it was mostly run based.
We may go into the portal but it not easy finding a GS who is willing to give everything to win.
There are so many quality QBs teams have gotten in the portal that I can't imagine we can't find one significantly better than CDRW. We are finally a team on the rise with a consistently good defense. We are now an attractive alternative to sitting on the bench.

There are so many quality QBs teams have gotten in the portal that I can't imagine we can't find one significantly better than CDRW. We are finally a team on the rise with a consistently good defense. We are now an attractive alternative to sitting on the bench.
We got CDRW and Davis because they were sitting. QB play is so important to the offense and sometimes we get impatient really fast when we see a few things we dont like about the QB. We tend to forget development and the players/schemes they have around them. I wasnt hot on Shrader when I saw him throw against Albany and rutgers. Sure, bring in another transfer to compete but that's no guarantee either. How improved Davis will be? Will a experienced and successful QB be willing to come to SU?

Last edited:
Would not give up on CDRW so soon. Had a good game and a game where it was mostly run based.
We may go into the portal but it not easy finding a GS who is willing to give everything to win.
GS was talented enough to play as a QB at a P5 before he arrived here, even though he suffered through a coaching change and position switch. He did need a lot of work and development to get where he is at even though he did play early at MSU.

We’ve done a nice job of bringing in QB’s from the portal with a strong HS pedigree that couldn’t crack through at their P5 they were at, but I’ll be curious to see if we’re capable of targeting and bringing in an established guy to bridge the gap for a year or two.

Lamson's choice ended up working out. He got back to the west coast and has an opportunity to play. There was no guarantee of Shrader getting hurt and he was still battling for QB2
Plus, Stanford degree!!!

Any dual threat QB stuck on the depth chart watching GS and how Beck uses him has to be paying attention. They have to be wondering if that could be me.

We got CDRW and Davis because they were sitting. QB play is so important to the offense and sometimes we get impatient really fast when we see a few things we dont like about the QB. We tend to forget development and the players/schemes they have around them. I wasnt hot on Shrader when I saw him throw against Albany and rutgers. Sure, bring in an another transfer to compete but that's no guarantee either. How improved Davis will be? Will an experienced and successful QB be willing to come to SU?
It’s an interesting rub in that when we land these guys, there is over the top optimism based on their HS pedigree (while selectively ignoring that they did nothing at their first P5).

Even knowing that they were blue chip type recruits originally, the fact that they were buried on depth charts probably by default means there’s significant work to be done to transform them into a P5 starter.

It’s an interesting rub in that when we land these guys, there is over the top optimism based on their HS pedigree (while selectively ignoring that they did nothing at their first P5).

Even knowing that they were blue chip type recruits originally, the fact that they were buried on depth charts probably by default means there’s significant work to be done to transform them into a P5 starter.
Agree. We see their potential and hope it translates. They have to go through the same learning curves and challenges of joining a new team. Finding a proven P5 guy is hard and bringing in a proven guy from a lower level is a crap shoot but it shouldnt discourage the staff from trying.

True enough but probably much better than what we can consistently recruit. ED was one in a million that the whole world missed. Getting a player with a year or two of P5 coaching and weight room is pretty big compared ro a HS kid.

Yesterday, the so-called football experts wanted to anoint the Purdue QB as the next great QB in America and yet he made numerous mistakes that led to Purdues loss!
Our guy won the game, offensively, for us. He deserves that type of respect!

Don’t necessarily think we need the next Shrader, I think we shouldn’t discount CDRW and he could still progress into a quality QB…but I do think we absolutely need to pick up another portal QB to challenge him in the spring and fall.

Yesterday, the so-called football experts wanted to anoint the Purdue QB as the next great QB in America and yet he made numerous mistakes that led to Purdues loss!
What is lost in the stat sheet are the fumbles and other mistakes which were recovered by Purdue.

We could have had an additional two turnovers if the refs didn't suck (coming out of the pile when one judge overruled the other, and the stupid out of bounds Twister foot and hand nonsense).

Yeah I’m listening to the pre-game and didn’t realize they had one of the best QB’s in the country the way they were hyping him up. Oh btw, we have GS.

I thought Purdue QB looked good…….. for 1-2 series. He did have a hot start but once Rocky dialed things in our scheme got him rattled. That’s why I never get too worried about 1-2 series either way. They’re almost zero indication of how the rest of the game will play out.

Yeah I’m listening to the pre-game and didn’t realize they had one of the best QB’s in the country the way they were hyping him up. Oh btw, we have GS.

I thought Purdue QB looked good…….. for 1-2 series. He did have a hot start but once Rocky dialed things in our scheme got him rattled. That’s why I never get too worried about 1-2 series either way. They’re almost zero indication of how the rest of the game will play out.
Card made some nice throws with guys about to hammer him. I take nothing away from his ability. But he’s got to hold onto the ball better. Though I can’t fault him for the one where three SU defenders were about to wax him. OR the one where Marlowe DID wax him.

That article where Sellers' father said he still speaks to Jason Beck... makes you wonder. Has to be lots of trust and respect. Need Shrader to have a monster year.

Card made some nice throws with guys about to hammer him. I take nothing away from his ability. But he’s got to hold onto the ball better. Though I can’t fault him for the one where three SU defenders were about to wax him. OR the one where Marlowe DID wax him.

He got much more inconsistent with his accuracy as the game went on, IMO. Although I’m looking at the box score and maybe my impression is skewed by the last couple series they had where it seemed like the nerves caused him to throw some poor, short yardage throws.

I thought we got CDRW through the portal, so he's one of them.

Last edited:
He got much more inconsistent with his accuracy as the game went on, IMO. Although I’m looking at the box score and maybe my impression is skewed by the last couple series they had where it seemed like the nerves caused him to throw some poor, short yardage throws.
Card completed nearly 70% of his 46 pass attempts playing from behind the entire game. I thought he was outstanding for the most part.

Yeah he had some fatigue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom