Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 40 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

I don’t think in general there are very many signing day flips, it’s pretty bush league in my opinion and they don’t strike me as that type, I’m assuming if he’s going to SC he’s already notified the Syracuse coaches (or will tomorrow) and if he did in fact flip I would think people at South Carolina would’ve leaked it by now. It’s clear the sc writers are all just guessing and no one knows what’s happening which is a good thing imho.

Having said all that these things never work out for us

I don’t think in general there are very many signing day flips, it’s pretty bush league in my opinion and they don’t strike me as that type, I’m assuming if he’s going to SC he’s already notified the Syracuse coaches (or will tomorrow) and if he did in fact flip I would think people at South Carolina would’ve leaked it by now. It’s clear the sc writers are all just guessing and no one knows what’s happening which is a good thing imho.

Having said all that these things never work out for us
It would be pretty brutal to Beck to flip on signing day without any advance warning, especially given the guy stood by him.

Well, that's disconcerting. I think I read a few weeks ago that he grew up as a SC fan, and with their geographic [and probable NIL advantages] this could certainly not go our way.

But I think it would be a pretty big slap in the face to Beck if it goes down this way.

If it does, I'm not going to lose sleep. Yes, Sellars looks like an absolute freaking stud -- so it would suck, can't put a positive spin on that. BUT we do have Shrader for another year, we do have CDRW [another four-star] who will be experienced and have another spring practice under his belt, Lamson returns -- so the cupboard isn't bare.

And as this portal cycle has shown, we can land quality transfers. So I'd expect them to go hard after a QB transfer after next season if Sellars bails, to compete with CDRW / Lamson.

It would REALLY suck if we didn't have such QB talent in the pipeline if Sellars bails, but it's not the end of the world [luckily] if that's how it works out.

Again, not trying to discount how much disappointment we should feel as a program if Sellars is an 11th hour flip. Just pointing out that the sky wouldn't fall.

Well, that's disconcerting. I think I read a few weeks ago that he grew up as a SC fan, and with their geographic [and probable NIL advantages] this could certainly not go our way.

But I think it would be a pretty big slap in the face to Beck if it goes down this way.

If it does, I'm not going to lose sleep. Yes, Sellars looks like an absolute freaking stud -- so it would suck, can't put a positive spin on that. BUT we do have Shrader for another year, we do have CDRW [another four-star] who will be experienced and have another spring practice under his belt, Lamson returns -- so the cupboard isn't bare.

And as this portal cycle has shown, we can land quality transfers. So I'd expect them to go hard after a QB transfer after next season if Sellars bails, to compete with CDRW / Lamson.

It would REALLY suck if we didn't have such QB talent in the pipeline if Sellars bails, but it's not the end of the world [luckily] if that's how it works out.

Again, not trying to discount how much disappointment we should feel as a program if Sellars is an 11th hour flip. Just pointing out that the sky wouldn't fall.
What he really should do is take a look at Shrader. He was recruited to Mississippi St, new coach comes in didn't fit his system and moved to TE.
Sellars knows he fits Becks system, has no idea if he fits the system for the new SC OC. He can't know that until he gets there for spring ball, and that's too late.

Yep, it doesn’t impact the team for next season either way assuming the position group doesn’t change.

And the portal doesn't close until Jan 18th. Some pretty good names on this list.

What he really should do is take a look at Shrader. He was recruited to Mississippi St, new coach comes in didn't fit his system and moved to TE.
Sellars knows he fits Becks system, has no idea if he fits the system for the new SC OC. He can't know that until he gets there for spring ball, and that's too late.

And to amplify this - the new SC OC runs a "pro style" offense - aka a dinosaur in today's world.

Plus - he's an atrociously bad OC, as proven by his prior career.

It always boggles my mind that guys who are consistently not great at their job,
keep getting hired and re-hired to do the same job!!!!

Yeah this won’t come as any surprise and it’s to be expected big state U 90 miles from home, I think I’d be more shocked at this point if he didn’t flip. And if he does it will suck from a perception standpoint but I won’t so much as we shrug my shoulders

Nothing in the podcast is new though it’s all stuff we’re all saying, hometown school and everyone’s in his ear

Agree that it would be a slap in the face to Beck. I think if he did flip he would let Beck know by now either way. He could have flipped and asked Beck not to mention as he wanted it to be a signing day surprise. Maybe Beck honors that as he is still recruiting him for the future. Who knows. Also I don't think we would find out otherwise unless the staff spread the info because its not going to effect our recruiting. We won't go after a portal QB for 2023 and all of the 2023 freshman would be off the table at this point.

If we don't get him though I guess we could bring in a portal guy for 2024 but it could be a top flight freshman. Seems like that would be a good opportunity to snag a great freshman QB as there would be a lot of eligibility separation between him and the guys ahead of him. Could be harder to get a good portal QB wanting to come compete with CDRW and Lamson unless they were a sure fire starting caliber QB. Who knows.

I think Sellers signs with Cuse and we don't need to worry about it. He's getting a lot of pressure from friends and maybe some family to stay local or play with friends but he has to think Cuse is what's best for him. I think it is anyway for whatever that's worth.

Last edited:
Yeah this won’t come as any surprise and it’s to be expected big state U 90 miles from home I think I’d be more shocked at this point if he didn’t flip. And if he does it will suck from a perception standpoint but I won’t so much as we shrug my shoulders

Nothing in the podcast is new though it’s all stuff we’re all sang hometown school everyone’s in his ear

Agreed. not much you can do but move on and say if it doesn't work out then reach out. Part of the game

I viewed what Mike said as, meh. It's all stuff that we already know. Nothing new to report.

Every time I come to LaNorris's thread (which is more often than I care to admit), I read each post through barely separated fingers. Same way I watched parts of Jaws.
I'm anti-Jinxing this thing:
1671479508425.jpeg
1671479528029.jpeg

LaNorris...at 'Cuse we will get you cooler rims like this model's (whom your handsomer than BTW).

Seinfeld disclaimer: Not that there's anything wrong with your rims.

Every time I come to LaNorris's thread (which is more often than I care to admit), I read each post through barely separated fingers. Same way I watched parts of Jaws.
I'm anti-Jinxing this thing:View attachment 223363View attachment 223364

LaNorris...at 'Cuse we will get you cooler rims like this model's (whom your handsomer than BTW).

Seinfeld disclaimer: Not that there's anything wrong with your rims.
Offering a potential student athlete a rim job is clearly a violation.

Yeah I mean ultimately at the end of the day if he joins great and if not life moves on. We have GS for 1 more year and we have Lamson and CDRW. The other guys not mentioned are practice squad type players at the end of the day. I would also think we are going to lose 1 of CDRW or Lamson likely after Spring ball as that’s just how it works now and days. So suddenly a deep room is much thinner if Sellers flips.
I do think Syracuse is better positioned than perhaps we have otherwise been in the past. A few thoughts:
1). Sellers has a 4.95 GPA. He is more than just football.
2). Beck has been with Sellers and his family a long time. There is a pretty deep relationship there. Parents might weigh that significantly as likel will LaNorris.
3. LaNorris has spent 0 time in person with his new OC. That matters I would think.
4. In the San Diego Cuse link, the SC insider suggested LaNorris is likely signing actually Wednesday with the public sharing Friday. To me that is pretty interesting. LaNorris never visited officially SC. He has not seen the facilities, OC in person or anything else. I would think if LaNorris had serious interest he would just postpone to Feb2nd and do an official. So him signing Wednesday means if he was going SC it would be OC and officially site unseen. While possible, I am skeptical.

Again he can just do to local, family and knowing players could just flip and if so, thats life and 5 minutes after we find out we all move on. I just think Syracuse is in good position and I think we actually get him.