Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

not that ratings are the end all, but I looked at the Crystal Ball site, there is only one kid out of the top 50 QBs who hasn't committed somewhere, and it is too late for us to flip anyone who is signing this week(I assume basically all of the QBs will sign these next few days). So, unless Beck likes that one kid or someone less heralded, I guess he will wait for 2024.
The good news there is that probably 25-30 of those guys will be in the portal in 12 months.

I stand by my earlier post. Until I see a quote from Lanorris, he is still committed to Syracuse. All of the smoke from Dohn, Shane Beamer and others is just to make it easier for Sellers to decommit.
Exactly

Ha ha, you said you took a poll.

MV5BYjlmMmU1NzUtOTY1Yi00OTgxLTgwZTUtMzI3ZDI1OTFlMmU0XkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTM3MDMyMDQ@._V1_UY100_CR16,0,100,100_AL_.jpg

I mean...I am sort of angry (not judging you)...I'm just channeling it at the system and the adults manipulating it, not the kid ;)
Frailty, thy name is Sellers.

(If the smoke signals are indicative)

Because you also have villari, there’s your 4. You can take another but no need to “scramble”

Also, shafs play calling was why they needed 4 QBs
I’m sorry but that’s not a legitimate option. We run a similar offense where the QB needs to carry the ball. We should have at least 4, if not 5 QB’s on every team. It’s the most important position I don’t care if we have to carry 7.

In the brave new world of college football teams are very lucky if they can carry more than two competent quarterbacks.

Would you feel comfortable having him at QB an entire season?
As much as I would Lamson. Who we only saw against the second string in a practice. Or Sellers. Who no one has seen against D-1 defenses. There is much to be played out. And anyone who thinks they know for sure which one is the best of the three I just named, is foolish.

If he has the same career as Zach Allen ended up having then I don’t think that is anything to fear.
That's actually my point.

Allen decided to stay home in Texas and went to a program that he wasn't really in the plans for, whereas he fit what we were trying to do a lot better. Dude never really played.

I think Sellers is a lot more talented, but assuming he chooses to stay home in South Carolina he's going to a program with a bunch of QBs on a depth chart with an OC and offensive philosophy that doesn't really match him all that well.

I hate thinking this but unless he's given the chance to grab the reins of the offense quickly, it feels like he's going to be a sure thing to enter the portal at some point.

That's actually my point.

Allen decided to stay home in Texas and went to a program that he wasn't really in the plans for, whereas he fit what we were trying to do a lot better. Dude never really played.

I think Sellers is a lot more talented, but assuming he chooses to stay home in South Carolina he's going to a program with a bunch of QBs on a depth chart with an OC and offensive philosophy that doesn't really match him all that well.

I hate thinking this but unless he's given the chance to grab the reins of the offense quickly, it feels like he's going to be a sure thing to enter the portal at some point.
Most QBs are hitting the portal if they don’t get the job in 2 years…

The reason he's signing tomorrow but not going public until Friday is that it's a dead period. He wants to have time to talk to SU and let them know he has flipped to USC before announcing on Friday. He wants to do the right thing by the Orange and let them know before he makes a splashy announcement on Friday.

Everything I said above is made up, but it sounds plausible. Kind of like what every internet football guru is doing right now. Don't believe the hype until the race is finished. Most of these guys troll message boards and Twitter for things that will allow them to lean one way or another. 95% of them know about as much as we do.

The 5% that truly know aren't talking. He may very well go to USC, or he might sign with us. That doesn't mean Dohn, Wilfong, or anyone else has any more knowledge. They are recruiting analysts, which is the low-hanging fruit of the sports journalism world, which is saying a lot because there are a lot of low-hangers in sports journalism.

The reason he's signing tomorrow but not going public until Friday is that it's a dead period. He wants to have time to talk to SU and let them know he has flipped to USC before announcing on Friday. He wants to do the right thing by the Orange and let them know before he makes a splashy announcement on Friday.

Everything I said above is made up, but it sounds plausible. Kind of like what every internet football guru is doing right now. Don't believe the hype until the race is finished. Most of these guys troll message boards and Twitter for things that will allow them to lean one way or another. 95% of them know about as much as we do.

The 5% that truly know aren't talking. He may very well go to USC, or he might sign with us. That doesn't mean Dohn, Wilfong, or anyone else has any more knowledge. They are recruiting analysts, which is the low-hanging fruit of the sports journalism world, which is saying a lot because there are a lot of low-hangers in sports journalism.
I haven't really weighed in on this but if he flips, he is doing just the opposite of doing right by Syracuse. If he would have flipped weeks ago, fine. But he has been a Syracuse commit for about 9 months. To a guy, Beck, that stayed true to him when it wasn't for sure that he could play again. He should do what is best for him and his family. But the ship of doing what is right by Syracuse, sailed.

I haven't really weighed in on this but if he flips, he is doing just the opposite of doing right by Syracuse. If he would have flipped weeks ago, fine. But he has been a Syracuse commit for about 9 months. To a guy, Beck, that stayed true to him when it wasn't for sure that he could play again. He should do what is best for him and his family. But the ship of doing what is right by Syracuse, sailed.
I wrote that completely tongue-in-cheek as if I knew something others did not. I don't think it would be a good look, either.

Two of 247’s national writers put in a crystal ball to South Carolina today.
Yes but they are only 60 -40. Pretty much means they aren’t projecting and he will probably go somewhere else.?

Yeah I mean ultimately at the end of the day if he joins great and if not life moves on. We have GS for 1 more year and we have Lamson and CDRW. The other guys not mentioned are practice squad type players at the end of the day. I would also think we are going to lose 1 of CDRW or Lamson likely after Spring ball as that’s just how it works now and days. So suddenly a deep room is much thinner if Sellers flips.
I do think Syracuse is better positioned than perhaps we have otherwise been in the past. A few thoughts:
1). Sellers has a 4.95 GPA. He is more than just football.
2). Beck has been with Sellers and his family a long time. There is a pretty deep relationship there. Parents might weigh that significantly as likel will LaNorris.
3. LaNorris has spent 0 time in person with his new OC. That matters I would think.
4. In the San Diego Cuse link, the SC insider suggested LaNorris is likely signing actually Wednesday with the public sharing Friday. To me that is pretty interesting. LaNorris never visited officially SC. He has not seen the facilities, OC in person or anything else. I would think if LaNorris had serious interest he would just postpone to Feb2nd and do an official. So him signing Wednesday means if he was going SC it would be OC and officially site unseen. While possible, I am skeptical.

Again he can just do to local, family and knowing players could just flip and if so, thats life and 5 minutes after we find out we all move on. I just think Syracuse is in good position and I think
If we keep Sellers, that is three 4 star recruits in one QB room. Plus Lamson.

If we lose him, we have two 4 star QBs and Lamson + whoever Beck can get still.

And, keep in mind, if things go south at USC for Sellers, I'm guessing he'd at least have a chat with Beck to portal after the year.

I want Sellers. I think he's a real talent. I think Beck would unleash this kid like USC cannot. But with Shrader and CDRW and Lamson, I'm absolutely fine.

Honestly, this is house money right now. We are going punch for punch with a very solid SEC team for a 4 star dual threat QB grabbing him from his backyard.
Who are the other 4 stars? Neither Villari or CDRW were 4 star transfers. Quite below 4 stars fwiw

Let's not be angry at the kid. He made the decision he needed to. Be angry at the system but not the kid.

That said, I reiterate, I have no reason to wish him well. The best case scenario he should expect from jilted fans is complete ignorance of him moving forward, which is what he will get from me at least.
Angry, no. But no way in hell to I respect the decision if he flips. Had the SC offer for almost two months. Cited the loyalty Beck showed him when he was injured as the leading factor in his decision. Reneging on a commitment when it is really too late for Beck and Cuse to react is the antithesis of respect.