Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 53 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

Angry, no. But no way in hell to I respect the decision if he flips. Had the SC offer for almost two months. Cited the loyalty Beck showed him when he was injured as the leading factor in his decision. Reneging on a commitment when it is really too late for Beck and Cuse to react is the antithesis of respect.
SC just kept hammering at him about staying home and then he plays in that all star game this week and a ton of teammates on that team do the same thing. They finally broke him down, it sucks but that is what happened

I almost kind of wish the verbal commitment wasn’t a thing, just sign when your ready to commit.

Not going to get upset over a 17yo wanting to stay home; imagine a CNY kid getting recruited hard by Syracuse after verbally committing elsewhere? That pull is practically impossible to withstand.

I have my own thoughts about making promises and not keeping them from a moral standpoint, but the counter argument to that is that this entire infrastructure is extremely difficult for a HS student to begin with.

Personally as a fan I’ll guard my heart with verbal commits and not get too excited til they actually sign.
Psst they’d be gone in a blink of the eye

I thought CDRW was a 4 star when he transferred from UF?
They get a transfer grade . CDRW was 86 and Villari 84 and that’s with more information after seeing them play at the college level. People are far too comfortable with our current QB room. Losing Sellers after being committed 9 months , right before NSD, without the ability to recruit other QUALITY qb’s would be a pretty big hit.

I have no idea if Sellers is still coming here or not. If he does, great, we need all the good players we can get.

But I think it’s funny, at a time when every thread here is telling me these aren’t kids, that they are “professional” athletes, we are still supposed to give them the consideration of kids. Either they are kids, or they are professionals who can be held to some standard.
It would be interesting to know what the percentage of big ticket nil recipients are in football. Maybe 1%? I am guessing, I really don’t know but I think there is a perception that most are making big bucks and I don’t think that is accurate. Said differently I don’t think the majority of players are making so much that placing a moniker like “professional“ would be that accurate.
I also believe two matters are being conflated here. There is nil and there is portal. Just because someone leaves doesn’t mean it is because of nil. If Sellers flips it might not be nil, it might be because he made friends at the all star game who are going to SC and now he wants to go. Maybe he wants his mom to only drive 90 miles to see him.
So I think most of these teenagers are kids trying to make decisions with 100s of outside influences. Maybe a handful are professional. Just my impression.

In these times, a signed LOI isn’t worth the paper it’s written on. Even if he signs here, we’d have to hold on for dear life that doesn’t hit the portal next year, especially if he’s not playing (which I assume would be the case)

They get a transfer grade . CDRW was 86 and Villari 84 and that’s with more information after seeing them play at the college level. People are far too comfortable with our current QB room. Losing Sellers after being committed 9 months , right before NSD, without the ability to recruit other QUALITY qb’s would be a pretty big hit.

Anomander, as you know I'm a big fan of your posts.

But this ^^^ feels like a massive shift of the goalposts. Both Shrader and CDRW were rated as 4-star QBs coming out of HS. We would have collectively done back handsprings down Marshall Street if we'd landed either one.

CDRW redshirted at Florida, then lost out a close spring battle to Anthony Richardson. My UF friend, who I had dinner with on Saturday while we watched NFL football, expressed that CDRW was well-thought of in their program, and he wishes they'd hung onto him to replace Richardson, who opted to turn pro and skipped their bowl over the weekend.

Point I'm making is that I'm not sure that a star reduction was based upon his performance at the collegiate level -- there was nothing to base it on, before he transferred out.

Angry, no. But no way in hell to I respect the decision if he flips. Had the SC offer for almost two months. Cited the loyalty Beck showed him when he was injured as the leading factor in his decision. Reneging on a commitment when it is really too late for Beck and Cuse to react is the antithesis of respect.
I agree.

Anomander, as you know I'm a big fan of your posts.

But this ^^^ feels like a massive shift of the goalposts. Both Shrader and CDRW were rated as 4-star QBs coming out of HS. We would have collectively done back handsprings down Marshall Street if we'd landed either one.

CDRW redshirted at Florida, then lost out a close spring battle to Anthony Richardson. My UF friend, who I had dinner with on Saturday while we watched NFL football, expressed that CDRW was well-thought of in their program, and he wishes they'd hung onto him to replace Richardson, who opted to turn pro and skipped their bowl over the weekend.

Point I'm making is that I'm not sure that a star reduction was based upon his performance at the collegiate level -- there was nothing to base it on, before he transferred out.
Was going to say the same thing, he never took a snap at Florida. He did nothing to get hit down to a mid 3 star as a transfer. Should always taking the stars with a grain of salt.

As much as I would Lamson. Who we only saw against the second string in a practice. Or Sellers. Who no one has seen against D-1 defenses. There is much to be played out. And anyone who thinks they know for sure which one is the best of the three I just named, is foolish.
Well I think we have seen and heard enough to make a judgement call on one. Not to mention the fact he had to transfer out of UF and was seriously downgraded. You’re right about Lamson and Sellers. Who knows how they turn out. But QB’s wins games. We will definitely need to add someone else this year and it’s slim pickings if Sellers flips.

Was going to say the same thing, he never took a snap at Florida. He did nothing to get hit down to a mid 3 star as a transfer. Should always taking the stars with a grain of salt.
Should we? I have 25 years of evidence that says they do.

Well I think we have seen and heard enough to make a judgement call on one. Not to mention the fact he had to transfer out of UF and was seriously downgraded. You’re right about Lamson and Sellers. Who knows how they turn out. But QB’s wins games. We will definitely need to add someone else this year and it’s slim pickings if Sellers flips.

You’re writing off CDWR. That’s a weird take honestly. Zero reason at all he can’t improve. He already showed more athleticism and ability to make tough throws than 90% of the QB’s we’ve had in the last 20 years. Guy gets thrown in to play with a terrible OL, almost nobody to throw to and an anemic at times running game and he played poorly. I’m so surprised. I expected him to shine.

Don't be surprised if we don't take a QB at all now.

Yep, if they get to Qb six they are in trouble. What is with you?
I’m responding to the poster who said we are fine if we have to go to him. Is that ok with you or do I need permission?

You’re writing off CDWR. That’s a weird take honestly. Zero reason at all he can’t improve. He already showed more athleticism and ability to make tough throws than 90% of the QB’s we’ve had in the last 20 years. Guy gets thrown in to play with a terrible OL, almost nobody to throw to and an anemic at times running game and he played poorly. I’m so surprised. I expected him to shine.
One big reason he can improve like Shrader has: Jason Beck

Who are the other 4 stars? Neither Villari or CDRW were 4 star transfers. Quite below 4 stars fwiw
CDRW, I believe was a 4 star. He had a impressive list of offers coming out of high school. I understand that you have wrote him off. I think that is very, very premature. I certainly don't hold it against him that he couldn't start at Florida. Our current starting qb was playing wide out at Miss St. I believe the jury is still way out on all of our potential qb's.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom