Class of 2023 - QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina | Page 54 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 QB LaNorris Sellers (SC) Flipped to South Carolina

Should we? I have 25 years of evidence that says they do.
Yes, having a star next to your name means absolutely nothing. Josh Allen had 0 stars and 0 offers out of high school and 1 D1 offer coming out of JUCO. Now he’s one of the most talented football players on planet earth. Aaron Rodgers was a 3 star recruit. Aaron Donald was a 3 star recruit. The stars don’t make or break you as a player, I’m not stressed out over the fact CDRW was a 3 star transfer instead of a 4. He clearly has raw gifts and Beck has a proven track record of developing QBs. And again if you’re that concerned about the stars CDRW was a 4 star out of HS and didn’t play a snap at Florida and transferred here.

One big reason he can improve like Shrader has: Jason Beck

Exactly. And I actually thought he played well. He made one of the more incredible throws I’ve seen in CFB in awhile. Can’t remember against who but it was almost a flick throw, across his body, 30 yards to the left sideline to the only spot the WR had a play.

Yes, having a star next to your name means absolutely nothing. Josh Allen had 0 stars and 0 offers out of high school and 1 D1 offer coming out of JUCO. Now he’s one of the most talented football players on planet earth. Aaron Rodgers was a 3 star recruit. Aaron Donald was a 3 star recruit. The stars don’t make or break you as a player, I’m not stressed out over the fact CDRW was a 3 star QB instead of a 4. He clearly has raw gifts and Beck has a proven track record of developing QBs.

So because one guy had no stars and is playing in the NFL all 0 star recruits are statistically as good as 5 star recruits?

I haven't really weighed in on this but if he flips, he is doing just the opposite of doing right by Syracuse. If he would have flipped weeks ago, fine. But he has been a Syracuse commit for about 9 months. To a guy, Beck, that stayed true to him when it wasn't for sure that he could play again. He should do what is best for him and his family. But the ship of doing what is right by Syracuse, sailed.
If SU knows it's SC, why should they be concerned about Sellers Friday splash?

Anomander, as you know I'm a big fan of your posts.

But this ^^^ feels like a massive shift of the goalposts. Both Shrader and CDRW were rated as 4-star QBs coming out of HS. We would have collectively done back handsprings down Marshall Street if we'd landed either one.

CDRW redshirted at Florida, then lost out a close spring battle to Anthony Richardson. My UF friend, who I had dinner with on Saturday while we watched NFL football, expressed that CDRW was well-thought of in their program, and he wishes they'd hung onto him to replace Richardson, who opted to turn pro and skipped their bowl over the weekend.

Point I'm making is that I'm not sure that a star reduction was based upon his performance at the collegiate level -- there was nothing to base it on, before he transferred out.
Honestly, I think there is a lot more information and access to watching the athlete once they are in college to appropriately grade them against college competition. He was graded before he committed to SU. Imo Villari was appropriately regraded and is better suited as a TE if it were up to me. If we got them out of HS, yes we would probably be doing handsprings going down Marshall street because of the massive potential. It may just be me, but I am very wary about transfer QB’s coming to Syracuse. Shrader is a bit of a different story because it was a total change of scheme, but we heard all year of CDRW’s accuracy issues, and it showed when he was actually game planned for. IMO I just don’t see him as an elite QB, who will be able to consistently move the ball. Even during fall reports it was reported Shrader was by far the most accurate passer of the bunch, and as much as I love Garrett he isn’t known for his accuracy. I certainly think he can come in spots and give us energy like the ND game, but to be counted on for a full season I just don’t see it. This isn’t even a vindication on CDRW. We all know QB’s win games at this level. We need as many on the roster as we can manage and let the best man win. IF we lose Sellers after 9 months right before NSD it obviously puts us behind the 8 ball on bringing someone else in and with the offense we run I wouldn’t feel comfortable with 3 QB’s.

You’re writing off CDWR. That’s a weird take honestly. Zero reason at all he can’t improve. He already showed more athleticism and ability to make tough throws than 90% of the QB’s we’ve had in the last 20 years. Guy gets thrown in to play with a terrible OL, almost nobody to throw to and an anemic at times running game and he played poorly. I’m so surprised. I expected him to shine.
Uhm, yeah, 100% agree, the dude oozes talent when he's out there. Ball explodes out of his hand, looks nimble.

His production hasn't caught up to his gifts yet, is all.

He looked more to me like a 4 star QB than Shrader the 4 star QB did when we first saw him. And Shrader looked good!

Who are the other 4 stars? Neither Villari or CDRW were 4 star transfers. Quite below 4 stars fwiw

Wilson was a rvls 4 star and I think finished 5th at the elite 11 when he signed with Florida. Far better thought of than Sellers.

Edit - apologies people responded. No biggie, look this hurts and I’d like to take a QB every year but if we miss this year we’re ok considering our QB room for ‘next’ season. And there will be another 35 QBs in the portal next year all looking for PT.

Last edited:
Yes, having a star next to your name means absolutely nothing. Josh Allen had 0 stars and 0 offers out of high school and 1 D1 offer coming out of JUCO. Now he’s one of the most talented football players on planet earth. Aaron Rodgers was a 3 star recruit. Aaron Donald was a 3 star recruit. The stars don’t make or break you as a player, I’m not stressed out over the fact CDRW was a 3 star transfer instead of a 4. He clearly has raw gifts and Beck has a proven track record of developing QBs. And again if you’re that concerned about the stars CDRW was a 4 star out of HS and didn’t play a snap at Florida and transferred here.
Everybody can name the outliers. We have finished last in the ACC in recruiting basically since we joined. We have 2 winning seasons under Babers. A 10 win season and 6, hopefully 7.

Wilson was a 4 star out of high school , but was re-graded to a 3 star when he transferred. If anything I would give more weight to the transfer grades since they have been seen against college competition.

Note that Shrader is two years older than Carlos, so there's development time ahead for Carlos.

Angry, no. But no way in hell to I respect the decision if he flips. Had the SC offer for almost two months. Cited the loyalty Beck showed him when he was injured as the leading factor in his decision. Reneging on a commitment when it is really too late for Beck and Cuse to react is the antithesis of respect.

I agree. If he flipped a few months ago I get it, but flipping on the last day is brutal.

Has Sellere ever actually visited Syracuse ? I don’t believe he has. I know he had playoffs and everything, but strange a recruit wouldn’t take an OV? I was hopeful until today. Now I feel like we were a placeholder just in case he got hurt again, or didn’t receive any other offers. Pretty cold to do that to someone he’s been committed to for 9 months right before NSD. The one year we needed Clemson to curb stomp them and of course they fail. Unbelievable . I got them impression he was a religious kid and possibly had a connection with Babers as well, or at least that’s what Carrol-Vincent stated. The kid had a 4.95GPA, and uSC hired an awful OC. We have a thin QB room and an easier path to see the field. If staying home outweighs all of that then what else is there to do?

Everybody can name the outliers. We have finished last in the ACC in recruiting basically since we joined. We have 2 winning seasons under Babers. A 10 win season and 6, hopefully 7.

Wilson was a 4 star out of high school , but was re-graded to a 3 star when he transferred. If anything I would give more weight to the transfer grades since they have been seen against college competition.
Of course, I’m not disputing the fact that recruiting needs to improve. My entire point is I don’t believe we’re in QB hell because CDRW was downgraded to a mid 3 star as a transfer. The kid clearly has tools and again, Coach Beck has a proven track record of developing QBs.

Has Sellere ever actually visited Syracuse ? I don’t believe he has. I know he had playoffs and everything, but strange a recruit wouldn’t take an OV? I was hopeful until today. Now I feel like we were a placeholder just in case he got hurt again, or didn’t receive any other offers. Pretty cold to do that to someone he’s been committed to for 9 months right before NSD. The one year we needed Clemson to curb stomp them and of course they fail. Unbelievable . I got them impression he was a religious kid and possibly had a connection with Babers as well, or at least that’s what Carrol-Vincent stated. The kid had a 4.95GPA, and uSC hired an awful OC. We have a thin QB room and an easier path to see the field. If staying home outweighs all of that then what else is there to do?
Yes Sellers did visit.

He visited in July.

I'm sorry. What's their current record? Lol

Honestly, I think there is a lot more information and access to watching the athlete once they are in college to appropriately grade them against college competition. He was graded before he committed to SU. Imo Villari was appropriately regraded and is better suited as a TE if it were up to me. If we got them out of HS, yes we would probably be doing handsprings going down Marshall street because of the massive potential. It may just be me, but I am very wary about transfer QB’s coming to Syracuse. Shrader is a bit of a different story because it was a total change of scheme, but we heard all year of CDRW’s accuracy issues, and it showed when he was actually game planned for. IMO I just don’t see him as an elite QB, who will be able to consistently move the ball. Even during fall reports it was reported Shrader was by far the most accurate passer of the bunch, and as much as I love Garrett he isn’t known for his accuracy. I certainly think he can come in spots and give us energy like the ND game, but to be counted on for a full season I just don’t see it. This isn’t even a vindication on CDRW. We all know QB’s win games at this level. We need as many on the roster as we can manage and let the best man win. IF we lose Sellers after 9 months right before NSD it obviously puts us behind the 8 ball on bringing someone else in and with the offense we run I wouldn’t feel comfortable with 3 QB’s.
Prepare to be uncomfortable, because if quarterbacks 3 and 4 are any good, or have the potential to be any good, they’re looking for the exits.

I’m responding to the poster who said we are fine if we have to go to him. Is that ok with you or do I need permission?
There isn’t a team at my level of the sport if they are playing qb6. Seems like you have. Compulsion to just dump poison and pile on for no good reason

If I'm SU and the kid flips I make it known subtly through tweets tomorrow and ruin the "splash" of his selection ceremony.