Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 38 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

What's Rex's physical status? Isn't his bad knee going to keep him off the field this spring?

Seems odd.

How is it odd? You treat the kid like a nobody for weeks, try to tempt several other players at his position to no avail, then when you find out you have no other options, you stroll in and tell him you want him, after other schools start communicating with him? Frankly, I'm surprised he waited this long to de-commit. He's a smart kid. You can't BS him into thinking you care, when it's obvious you are only doing it because you have no other options.

You will never get me to believe that Babers & Co. didn't screw this recruitment up royally. And honestly, I hope Mr. Scott proves them wrong, no matter where he goes.

Hopefully, only bringing in one QB (and you have to thank the old staff for that one) doesn't come back to haunt SU sometime in the next couple years.

How is it odd? You treat the kid like a nobody for weeks, try to tempt several other players at his position to no avail, then when you find out you have no other options, you stroll in and tell him you want him, after other schools start communicating with him? Frankly, I'm surprised he waited this long to de-commit. He's a smart kid. You can't BS him into thinking you care, when it's obvious you are only doing it because you have no other options.

You will never get me to believe that Babers & Co. didn't screw this recruitment up royally. And honestly, I hope Mr. Scott proves them wrong, no matter where he goes.

Hopefully, only bringing in one QB (and you have to thank the old staff for that one) doesn't come back to haunt SU sometime in the next couple years.
I would have agreed with you before the visit this week. That's why it seems odd to me.

no big loss, the writing was on the wall. The kid is an athlete not a P5 QB. Was probably given the same song and dance as the others. You can come to Syracuse but...we're looking for X at the spot and you don't fit".

The chances of us losing out here are slim. Kid had 2 power 5 offers and is down to Tulane, Harvard and Rutgirls. Enough said.

That's BS. Altho agreed they publicly recruited a few in front of him they wanted him after they whiffed on the others. Lewis didn't fly down there to let him down easy. He went down to solidify his commitment and thought he had. Scott left plain and simple.

As to whether the staff truly cares no one knows but they wanted him yesterday that much is sure.

The odds of this happening vs him sticking here were so much higher that no one should be surprised. I was actually surprised that Lewis did the in home to be honest because I never thought that Scott would ever see the field at SU as a QB under Babers and his system. And the main reason he committed to SU was because we were recruiting him originally as a QB.

Ain't rocket science people. Good luck to him, hope he lands someplace that he has a legit shot to play QB at and can follow his dreams. Great athlete and classy kid.

Dino hired on December 5 - hires staff and takes care of family business - dead period from December 14 until January 13 - in-home visit January 15 that appears to go very well - January 17 kid decommits and you apparently have inside information that the kid was treated like a nobody and never heard from SU. The beauty of the internet age - geniuses like you that know absolutely nothing about what really happened.

Dino hired on December 5 - hires staff and takes care of family business - dead period from December 14 until January 13 - in-home visit January 15 that appears to go very well - January 17 kid decommits and you apparently have inside information that the kid was treated like a nobody and never heard from SU. The beauty of the internet age - geniuses like you that know absolutely nothing about what really happened.

Doesn't take an internet genius to know they immediately reaffirmed the commitment of Culpepper and then went about publicly offering other QB's for Scott's spot. That's what happened and it's public knowledge. When they struck out they went back to Scott to reaffirm. He decommitted. No staff connections needed to figure it out.

That is complete & utter BS. He didn't waste any time getting in touch with Rex, Scoop & Moe. He didn't want Scott, he showed it, and he got what he asked for, a de-commit. They didn't show any interest in him, and he finally decided he had enough other options.

It doesn't take a genius to see it, but apparently you can't. (I will refrain from responding to you in an unnecessarily derogatory way, like you did to me, but I will point the fact out that you did)

Doesn't take an internet genius to know they immediately reaffirmed the commitment of Culpepper and then went about publicly offering other QB's for Scott's spot. That's what happened and it's public knowledge. When they struck out they went back to Scott to reaffirm. He decommitted. No staff connections needed to figure it out.

The only thing I'm surprised about here is that it took him this long to decommit. The only reason must have been he was waiting for other QB first options to solidify that still put him either close to home or at the P5 level.

Time to focus on the kids who really want to be here...That's all

There is a pecking order to recruiting, that is not exactly a state secret. The accusation that Scott was treated dishonestly is lacking evidence.

Not really surprised since he absolutely blew up this year. But I thought we could hang onto the kid. Best of fortunes to him.

Time to focus on the kids who really want to be here...That's all

I think the fact that he lasted this long is pretty good evidence that he did want to be here. He is a smart kid, though. He probably finally admitted to himself that he wasn't going to get a fair chance at QB. I really feel like he wanted that chance at SU. He likely didn't feel that Babers & Co. were ever going to give it to him. Sometimes you have to admit that your first option isn't going to happen, so it's time to find a new first option.

There is a pecking order to recruiting, that is not exactly a state secret. The accusation that Scott was treated dishonestly is lacking evidence.

I hope your not saying that I accused anyone of treating Scott dishonestly, as I did not state that at any point. (Though you clearly are, by replying to my post)
I think Babers & Co. were very clear, whether it be directly or indirectly, that they did not have a great interest in Scott. (I am not a party to any communication between them) I think their actions were very honest. Though personally, I would prefer they just tell the kid they were pulling the offer, rather than keep the offer, but take actions that clearly indicate they would rather not.

IMO, they did screw up the recruiting process, as I believe that Scott will turn out to be a very good college level player. And clearly, SU needs very good college players. I am entitled to an opinion that it will turn out to be a bad choice on the coaches part, but that does not mean that I say they treated him dishonestly.

I hope your not saying that I accused anyone of treating Scott dishonestly, as I did not state that at any point. (Though you clearly are, by replying to my post)
I think Babers & Co. were very clear, whether it be directly or indirectly, that they did not have a great interest in Scott. (I am not a party to any communication between them) I think their actions were very honest. Though personally, I would prefer they just tell the kid they were pulling the offer, rather than keep the offer, but take actions that clearly indicate they would rather not.

IMO, they did screw up the recruiting process, as I believe that Scott will turn out to be a very good college level player. And clearly, SU needs very good college players. I am entitled to an opinion that it will turn out to be a bad choice on the coaches part, but that does not mean that I say they treated him dishonestly.
Dude you're all over the place. You've accused the staff of treating him like a nobody, when in fact you have no idea how or what the staff communicated with him; and being very clear (either directly or indirectly) that they did not have a great interest in him despite the fact they offered him a full ride. There is a pecking order- maybe the staff was upfront about where Scott ranked with them and maybe they weren't- but you have not provided any evidence outside of your opinion one way or the other. You're totally entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me you're not being fair to the staff and are a little naive as to how recruiting works.

Dude you're all over the place. You've accused the staff of treating him like a nobody, when in fact you have no idea how or what the staff communicated with him; and being very clear (either directly or indirectly) that they did not have a great interest in him despite the fact they offered him a full ride. There is a pecking order- maybe the staff was upfront about where Scott ranked with them and maybe they weren't- but you have not provided any evidence outside of your opinion one way or the other. You're totally entitled to your opinion, but it seems to me you're not being fair to the staff and are a little naive as to how recruiting works.

There is no pecking order at this time. The staff has no offers to QB's & no scheduled visits with any QB's. It is clear that they wanted other QB's, as they were in contact with several others, who quickly rebuffed them, but they were unable to make any significant impression on the kids they contacted.

As for accusing them of treating him like a nobody, it is not an accusation. From Scott's own twitter feed, he was not communicated with. (I guess you can call him a liar, if you'd like, but I'm fairly certain he had every idea what communication was between him and the staff) They did not express an interest in him until they were rebuffed by the other QB's. As for supposition, we can assume that he did not like the message that he received when Lewis visited with him, as it took him less than 72 hrs to de-commit.

I guess I am not so naive after all.

And as you said, I am entitled to an opinion, just like anyone else on here. I am perfectly willing to go on record and say that hindsight will likely prove that it was not a good decision to let Scott go, and it will likely prove that it was not a good decision to only recruit one QB this cycle. And if, by some miracle, the staff somehow does get a second QB recruit this cycle, said recruit will not be an improvement over Scott. And that hurts.

This sucks.

Hope he ends up at Tulane or Purdue.
Will be really po'd if he goes to SUNJ. Particularly if he ends up playing well in college.

The old staff had 2 QB recruits lined up. The new staff thought they could over recruit Scott and discovered they were wrong. In doing so, they wound up losing Scott.

Let's hope they don't wind up in the same position with some other recruits they let go.

And if, by some miracle, the staff somehow does get a second QB recruit this cycle, said recruit will not be an improvement over Scott. And that hurts.

I disagree. I don't think they saw what they wanted in this kid for whatever reason. I think they wanted Scott as an ATH or as a CB, but they probably did not think he projected well as a QB. I think if we sign someone else, then it will be somebody that the staff actually wants.

As a totally over-involved fan w/ no recruiting expertise whatsoever, I will say that this might end up being a huge mistake on this staff's part, especially if as I expect, Scott ends up being a very good QB.
I do think they slow-footed his recruitment, but all seemed well after the in-home. Just don't get the flip at this time.
:bang::bang::bang:

If any good come from this is I believe we will be in the market for QBs next year, and we should be in on some 4 *. I'm sure Baber has a couple already lined up.

If any good come from this is I believe we will be in the market for QBs next year, and we should be in on some 4 *. I'm sure Baber has a couple already lined up.

How does this make it a good outcome? If we were seriously on 4* next year we would be on them regardless of Scott coming or not. You always try to recruit a potentially better QB, every year if there is an opportunity. Scott has no bearing on this process.

There is no pecking order at this time. The staff has no offers to QB's & no scheduled visits with any QB's. It is clear that they wanted other QB's, as they were in contact with several others, who quickly rebuffed them, but they were unable to make any significant impression on the kids they contacted.

As for accusing them of treating him like a nobody, it is not an accusation. From Scott's own twitter feed, he was not communicated with. (I guess you can call him a liar, if you'd like, but I'm fairly certain he had every idea what communication was between him and the staff) They did not express an interest in him until they were rebuffed by the other QB's. As for supposition, we can assume that he did not like the message that he received when Lewis visited with him, as it took him less than 72 hrs to de-commit.

I guess I am not so naive after all.

And as you said, I am entitled to an opinion, just like anyone else on here. I am perfectly willing to go on record and say that hindsight will likely prove that it was not a good decision to let Scott go, and it will likely prove that it was not a good decision to only recruit one QB this cycle. And if, by some miracle, the staff somehow does get a second QB recruit this cycle, said recruit will not be an improvement over Scott. And that hurts.
Well in a couple of years you may be proven right. But for now you're just making stuff up. Scott never tweeted about any of this stuff-too much class to do that. Babers gets announced on Dec 5, and Doucet tweets that he's in contact with SU by Dec 9. If you want to crush Babers for losing a guy that was not a great fit for his system that's fine but get your facts straight and stop casting aspersions about how you think the situation was handled.