QB Situation | Syracusefan.com

QB Situation

anomander

Living Legend
I'm really not sure what was going through Dino's head. He jumped the gun way too early, and was stubborn about his decision and waiting far too long. I know we got the win and people will say that's all that matters, but this was a perfect chance to set the tone for the season and get the team (and to a far lesser extent) the fans confidence. We were on our way to just that. Dungey had led scoring drives on each of the first 6 drives. Defense was playing outstanding. And then the change. I'll give him that Dungey got dinged, but you can tell he was good to go and basically pleading with his actions to be put back in. The team lost their edge when this happened. Both offensively and defensively. These guys aren't stupid. They know who the heart and soul of the team is. Dungey is the leader and needs to be out there if he is capable. We saw last year what happened to the defense when he was out. He effects both sides of the ball. I love Dino more than anything, but this was mind blowing. You can tell he desperately wanted to get TD in there. The way he didn't name a starter, and let them split snaps in camp told you this. He could have lost the team with this move we weren't able to rebound. It was really inexcusable. There is a time and a place where TD should get some series. Today was not it. Not the first game when it finally looks like we are clicking on both sides of the ball. Keep ED in there through the 3rd or even half way through the 3rd. Be up by 6 or 7 scores and then get TD some work. It takes pressure off of TD, and the team doesn't lose their edge. Now it's going to be very difficult to give ED extended series early in the game. By wanting to get him in early it may have damaged playing him too much from here on out. Finally, ED was obviously distressed. Once again the players are aware of this. It had a damaging effect. I don't think it was a coincidence the defense seemed to collapse at the same time. He's that rare player that greatly effects both sides of the ball. Hopefully Dino is much smarter with this going forward.

This was a nice win, but for some reason i was left wanting more.

1-0 and Onto Wagner

Last edited:
I'm really not sure what was going through Dino's head. He jumped the gun way too early, and was stubborn about his decision and waiting far too long. I know we got the win and people will say that's all that matters, but this was a perfect chance to set the tone for the season and get the team (and to a far lesser extent) the fans confidence. We were on our way to just that. Dungey had led scoring drives on each of the first 6 drives. Defense was playing outstanding. And then the change. I'll give him that Dungey got dinged, but you can tell he was good to go and basically pleading with his actions to be put back in. The team lost their edge when this happened. Both offensively and defensively. These guys aren't stupid. They know who the heart and soul of the team is. Dungey is the leader and needs to be out there if he is capable. We saw last year what happened to the defense when he was out. He effects both sides of the ball. I love Dino more than anything, but this was mind blowing. You can tell he desperately wanted to get TD in there. The way he didn't name a starter, and let them split snaps in camp told you this. He could have lost the team with this move we weren't able to rebound. It was really inexcusable. There is a time and a place where TD should get some series. Today was not it. Not the first game when it finally looks like we are clicking on both sides of the ball. Keep ED in there through the 3rd or even half way through the 3rd. Be up by 6 or 7 scores and then get TD some work. It takes pressure off of TD, and the team doesn't lose their edge. Now it's going to be very difficult to give ED extended series early in the game. By wanting to get him in early it may have damaged playing him too much from here on out. Finally, ED was obviously distressed. Once again the players are aware of this. It had a damaging effect. I don't think it was a coincidence the defense seemed to collapse at the same time. He's that rare player that greatly effects both sides of the ball. Hopefully Dino is much smarter with this going forward.

1-0 and Onto Wagner
TLDR

We are fine...dont worry.

Dungey honestly is a poor man’s Tim Tebow.
If we have a special year it will be on his back. I am hoping Dino was trying to put Dungey on a pitch count in the first game and not get him too much of a beating.
I think it wasn’t his smartest decision but we won and I still love Dino.
Dungey should have started the 3rd quarter. Giving DeVito a series in the first half didn’t bother me.

What happens to the defense when Dungey is out? I saw this last year and again tonight. Are they that used to the super uptempo game so that when someone else comes in and it slows down that it throws them off? Usually the D will pick up when they have longer breaks, right?

If we have a special year it will be on his back. I am hoping Dino was trying to put Dungey on a pitch count in the first game and not get him too much of a beating.
Dungey should have started the 3rd quarter. Giving DeVito a series in the first half didn’t bother me.

This. 1 in the second, all of the 4th if we’re up big.

I was 100% confident Dungey would be back out in the third, and so were others. The fact he wasn't, is a problem for me. We won, yes. That's what it's about. But really strange tonight. Can't happen. Not with this team and program.

1-0 and Onto Wagner
Eggxactly. Well said, Great post. Gotta know how to handle prosperity too. Tonight he failed. Hope we see a more traditional approach to using a second team qb going forward.

FWIW, every time Dungey plays, Oregon, Oregon St. and every other west coast team kicks themselves in the ass for letting a local kid get away. Cross country no less. Short of Lamar Jackson, he's been the most exciting QB the last 2 years and today.

What happens to the defense when Dungey is out? I saw this last year and again tonight. Are they that used to the super uptempo game so that when someone else comes in and it slows down that it throws them off? Usually the D will pick up when they have longer breaks, right?

Could be wrong, but I think they lost an edge when ED came out. They may have relaxed a bit and didn't play with the same mental and physical edge they needed. Obviously it helps when we can keep the offense on the field for an extended time as well, but i think it's mostly mental tbh. Dungey is the heart and soul of the team. I really don't think it's a coincidence they held WMU to 7 while he was in and then basically stopped the bleeding when he came back in.

Could be wrong, but I think they lost an edge when ED came out. They may have relaxed a bit and didn't play with the same mental and physical edge they needed. Obviously it helps when we can keep the offense on the field for an extended time as well, but i think it's mostly mental tbh. Dungey is the heart and soul of the team. I really don't think it's a coincidence they held WMU to 7 while he was in and then basically stopped the bleeding when he came back in.
I agree with this. I think after SU got up big and Devito went in, the team took it as if WMU had waived the white flag. It wasn't even that Devito was terrible - he wasn't great, but the OL was brutal after having been fairly solid to that point. I think the game had been so easy to that point, and when Devito came in it was as if they expected WMU to roll over. Same on defense. It's amazing at how quickly things can turn. That was stunning.

Ive gotta say, it’s beyond bizarre at this point.

The last 3 games last year after being reasonably decent in the first 9. And then the 3rd quarter today after being good in the first half and recovering to be “ok” in the 4th. I can’t think of a real explanation.

I wonder if ED might have been on a "pitch count", or "dinged up" and staff did not want to risk injury, or if there was a predetermined "understanding" regarding the circumstances under which TD would enter the game and those parameters were simply meet before the end of the first half. I believe we will never know the true answer to this question.
So glad we are 1-0.
TD looked like he was playing in his first college football game [ anyone remember Bobby Hurley's first game and he went on to have an awesome career.]

FWIW, every time Dungey plays, Oregon, Oregon St. and every other west coast team kicks themselves in the ass for letting a local kid get away. Cross country no less. Short of Lamar Jackson, he's been the most exciting QB the last 2 years and today.
Whoa...little hyperbole there. Baker Mayfield says hello.

This is year three. We shouldn’t need Dungey to be the entire team. Dino tested the team and they failed miserably. Dungey is masking a lot out there. Disappointed that in year three we have to rely on one player who came in under the last HC.

This is the root of the issue. Can’t be throwing Riley out there. Butler is a third receiver at best anywhere decent. Our backs are average, still go down too easily IMO, and lack instincts. The defense...not going to go there.

We need playmakers on offense BADLY if this is supposed to be some great offense. Dungey is going to get killed one of these games doing too much...again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom