QB Starter Prediction | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

QB Starter Prediction

Allen can run guys...he's a pretty good athlete, especially for being 6'5". No race horse but more than ample and from what I hear a better runner than Nassib.

Allen can run guys...he's a pretty good athlete, especially for being 6'5". No race horse but more than ample and from what I hear a better runner than Nassib.
He is faster than Hunt (at 4.9 so are many DL) but Terrel possesses more lateral quickness and elusiveness.

I am in the corner that Allen didn't come here to sit. And that the staff didn't bring him in to sit.
I don't get this attitude. Obviously, the coaching staff must have thought he had the potential to help the team, or they wouldn't have offered him a scholarship. But there's no way for them to know how he will perform until he lines up under Macky when the bright lights go on. We had a scholly to burn in this class, and Allen only has 1 year of eligibility remaining, so there is no down-side to bringing him in, even if he never plays a down.

This is a tough vote. I think it's flip a coin, as long as that coin doesn't have Kinder or dreamboat Loeb on it.

I'll go with Hunt for Penn State. Maybe Allen gets the nod later on, but to get completely ready in such a short time for such a big game? Going with the guy who was in the lead in the spring.

I really like both guys. Think we are in a good spot for the future with Hunt. But If I had to guess I say Allen starts. I think he is going to be pretty good. His highlight films look solid. He does have more experience and even though a good portion was in garbage time it will still help him. With the coming fall practices I think he will become more comfortable with the players and the offense and turn into a solid team leader.

But...I think he gets 90% of the snaps and Hunt gets the rest with play calling that has a larger portion of running plays. not necessarily a two headed monster but more of a slight change of pace. Allen will be fairly good at running but Hunt brings some nice shiftiness. Talent wise Hunt won't be too far behind Allen and this will add a nice wrinkle to the offense while giving him experience and confidence for the future. I think somewhat similar to the Paulus and Nassib year.

Allen. not a doubt in my mind.

i can see hunt getting some snaps like st pierre or nassib did as frosh.

Allen. not a doubt in my mind.

i can see hunt getting some snaps like st pierre or nassib did as frosh.

Yeah, I should change my answer. This is pretty much an exact repeat of 2009. Only differences are that A) Hunt is a year older than Nassib was at the time, but not sure how much difference that would really make. And B) that the incoming QB had actually been serving as a college QB instead of a college PG.

I have to believe its a lot less hard for a 5th yr Qb that comes from a pretty wide open offense in Ok to pick up a new offense than it would have been for Paulus to come in cold and he did it. And its not like the returning kids had a 2-3 yr head start its pretty much new for all of them less a few weeks of spring practice.

With this stable of running backs, the QB's ability to run becomes less important. Which tilts the scale towards the better pure passer.

I will take the path much less traveled and go with Charley Loeb.

The QB will most certainly be relevant. Maybe you've forgotten those 8 or 9 in a box defenses we went up against when Paulus was the QB, and in Nassib's first season.

When I think of this situation first thing comes to mind is the Paulus scenario and we all know how that went, so with that said I wish TH would win, but I believe Allen is here for a reason, and it's not to send out Qb signals to TH from the sidelines.

Drew Allen. He didn't pick Syracuse to sit on the bench. He's only got one season.

When I think of this situation first thing comes to mind is the Paulus scenario and we all know how that went, so with that said I wish TH would win, but I believe Allen is here for a reason, and it's not to send out Qb signals to TH from the sidelines.
Not even close to the Paulus scenario. Drew has been playing FB for the last 4 years rather than flopping on the hardwood. ;-)

I have to believe its a lot less hard for a 5th yr Qb that comes from a pretty wide open offense in Ok to pick up a new offense than it would have been for Paulus to come in cold and he did it. And its not like the returning kids had a 2-3 yr head start its pretty much new for all of them less a few weeks of spring practice.
This. Hunt really does not have much of a head start at all. If Hackett had stayed we'd be watching Charley Loeb. Allen is more mature (older). He has more game time (minimal factor imo) he has lots more practice time (against better overall athletes) and is expected to be more of a pure passer. Those of you fearing 8-9 in the box better pray that its Allen because you don't want your QB scrambling or even running much at all against that. You want him throwing over it for big yards. I think this is the ideal situation. Hunt then gets to start for 2 years and after him maybe a RS sophmore whose cousin is the team's star WR! If Hunt does win the job then he will have earned it and I look forward to 3 years of an athletic big arm QB.

This. Hunt really does not have much of a head start at all. If Hackett had stayed we'd be watching Charley Loeb. Allen is more mature (older). He has more game time (minimal factor imo) he has lots more practice time (against better overall athletes) and is expected to be more of a pure passer. Those of you fearing 8-9 in the box better pray that its Allen because you don't want your QB scrambling or even running much at all against that. You want him throwing over it for big yards. I think this is the ideal situation. Hunt then gets to start for 2 years and after him maybe a RS sophmore whose cousin is the team's star WR! If Hunt does win the job then he will have earned it and I look forward to 3 years of an athletic big arm QB.

Agree 100%, across the board.

The QB will most certainly be relevant. Maybe you've forgotten those 8 or 9 in a box defenses we went up against when Paulus was the QB, and in Nassib's first season.

I think he was saying QB's ability to run, not just general ability. If we can't throw the ball, or if the WRs are a significant downgrade, then we're in some trouble. Not 2005 or 2007 type trouble, but will struggle nonetheless.

Agree with that, as obviously we need someone who can complete a 10-20 yard pass now and then to keep defenses honest. I think we have guys who can do that in Allen and Hunt. More importantly, though, we need receivers who can get open and catch the ball.

But really, the TRUE quarterback competition this year will be between Drew Allen and Charley Loeb, and which one can collect the most asses over the course of the year out at the bars and sorority houses.

I think it will come down to the O-line and our WR's. If we have a solid O-line and can play more of a vertical passing game i believe that Drew will get the nod as i think he is most likely the better passer of the two. If on the other hand the O-line cant protect Hunt will get the nod as he can buy time with his feet and we will be forced to play more of a shorter passing game.

But really, the TRUE quarterback competition this year will be between Drew Allen and Charley Loeb, and which one can collect the most asses over the course of the year out at the bars and sorority houses.
I'm thinking I may still have some eligiblity left. I wouldn't even mind coming in 3rd, just let me in the competition!:D

Drew Allen. He didn't pick Syracuse to sit on the bench. He's only got one season.

I've heard this one a few times, and for me, it's about the last one on the list for me to think Allen would be the starter. He didn't pick Oklahoma to sit on the bench either. Sometimes guys have to sit on the bench because the starter outperformed them in practice and/or games.

I don't think Funderburke picked SU to sit on the bench either. If you have a telescope that's powerful enough to find him on the depth chart, let me know.

May the best man win.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom