QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

We still need a capable back-up QB. We haven’t had a great track record of keeping the starting QB healthy all year long. Hopefully an improved oline will help with that, but so sick of the Grand Canyon level drop-off from starter to back-up at QB. Maybe Morgan or Dillon take a big leap going into next year. I’m hopeful on Lamson but doubt he’ll be ready next year. Would really like to see us pick up one in the transfer portal (ie Garrett Shrader).

We still need a capable back-up QB. We haven’t had a great track record of keeping the starting QB healthy all year long. Hopefully an improved oline will help with that, but so sick of the Grand Canyon level drop-off from starter to back-up at QB. Maybe Morgan or Dillon take a big leap going into next year. I’m hopeful on Lamson but doubt he’ll be ready next year. Would really like to see us pick up one in the transfer portal (ie Garrett Shrader).

I've seen enough from JaCobian to feel a bit better than a lot of these other years. A full camp and time with Gilbert should help by next year too.

But I think we all feel snakebit at the position and want another guy to really compete. We'll see. I won't kill the staff if they just bring in Lamson.

I’m okay with him returning provided there is real competition at the position. Also that Dino did not make any promises about not bringing in a transfer to compete. The more competition the better for the program.

I don't forsee them bringing in a transfer. I think they believe they have their room set now. Have their hand-picked starter with loads of experience in Tommy, now have what appears to be a developmental guy with ability and a small bit of experience in Morgan to be the #2. Just those 2 healthy alone would be the best combo we've had in a decade other than Dungey's Senior year. Then behind those 2 we have 2 lotto tickets in Lamson and Dillon.

I've been all in on brining in a transfer for competition purposes but I just don't see them doing it if they feel they have a quality #1 and a quality, developing #2 which is what I believe they think.

Just my opinion, with absolutely no knowledge whatsoever, but I think this indicates that there is a good chance that the Oline will be improved next year.

I have to think, with his natural abilities, TD would be welcomed in by any number of programs looking for a QB.

I also have to think that, if TD & Redrum thought that the Oline was going to be a complete disaster next year, there is no way they would be back.
I agree, and hope that this is exactly what this all means.

This is huge step in building compation and a solid QB room for next year.

Of course it’s good news, but the staff better have a capable back up ready as well. We should have learned our lesson.

I hope TD was given some kind of reassurance regarding the OL. He can't be a human pinata for another season.

My biggest issue with Tommy besides the pocket presence and reading the defense is his ability to extend a play. He is too athletic of a kid to not be able to make throws on the run. Once a play breaks down or his first read is gone , thats it, the play is over and there's no chance of anything else. He runs if he has a lane but he doesnt look down feild for potential explosive plays. Making plays outside the pocket is crucial this day in age. He needs to spend a lot if time this off season making reads and throws while rolling out. I still want a transfer because I dont know if TD will improve in those areas and the back up needs to be someone we can win games with.

EDIT just wanted to make sure I added that its a good thing he is back. I just want competiton. I want who ever doesnt win out to be capable of winning us games if the other goes down.

Last edited:
Great news. He will have a big year! Go get a transfer to back him up and see if the two freshman can get better. Oh and move REX to TE :)

asterisk?

1607372204688.png

1 Day after the season ends, this ray of sunshine appears, and makes me put on my orange colored sunglasses. Why do I do this to myself?
Get a few O Line transfers, 1 receiver, and I think we got a shot next year.

The OL should be better but anyone thinking there will a complete metamorphosis is dreaming. Heard same thing last season. Yes there were injuries but three starters returned. We will always have injuries. If he wins the job great but still feel dt qb works better with su limitations.

Count me in the camp that believes this is good news. Next, I ‘d like to see Tommy compete in good health and with a healthy OL next year.

The OL should be better but anyone thinking there will a complete metamorphosis is dreaming. Heard same thing last season. Yes there were injuries but three starters returned. We will always have injuries. If he wins the job great but still feel dt qb works better with su limitations.

Thanks Chief

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cusethunder

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom