QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

My biggest issue with Tommy besides the pocket presence and reading the defense is his ability to extend a play. He is too athletic of a kid to not be able to make throws on the run. Once a play breaks down or his first read is gone , thats it, the play is over and there's no chance of anything else. He runs if he has a lane but he doesnt look down feild for potential explosive plays. Making plays outside the pocket is crucial this day in age. He needs to spend a lot if time this off season making reads and throws while rolling out. I still want a transfer because I dont know if TD will improve in those areas and the back up needs to be someone we can win games with.

EDIT just wanted to make sure I added that its a good thing he is back. I just want competiton. I want who ever doesnt win out to be capable of winning us games if the other goes down.

Exactly

This is great news. TD starts with Jacobian and Tex as backup. No need for a transfer. Land a starting OT, and a stud at WR and TD is going to be fine.
Im thrilled hes back. Kid didn't run away. Thats a true leader. I hope he lights it up!

This is great news. TD starts with Jacobian and Tex as backup. No need for a transfer. Land a starting OT, and a stud at WR and TD is going to be fine.
Im thrilled hes back. Kid didn't run away. Thats a true leader. I hope he lights it up!

I agree with TD back we don’t need to bring in a transfer.

Let’s the young kids learn behind him learn and be ready to go after next season.

if the oline is better the backups look better.. but also the backups wont need to play, at some point the qb curse has to end.

With an improved offensive line, Tommy can get the job done. We saw it at the end of last year. Think it was unlikely a transfer came in and did better. Let Lamson learn and hopefully Tommy and Jacobian gets the job done.

I hope he is dominant next year and glad to see he is back, but anybody that doesn’t think we should bring in a transfer for competition is out of their minds. I know I know the offensive line has been horrible, but you can’t possibly argue there aren’t QBs who couldn’t take his job.

Bring in 2 DTs a starting Oline and a starting wr and Tommy becomes a star

I hope he is dominant next year and glad to see he is back, but anybody that doesn’t think we should bring in a transfer for competition is out of their minds. I know I know the offensive line has been horrible, but you can’t possibly argue there aren’t QBs who couldn’t take his job.

That’s not the calculation.

The question is “is there a guy who will risk coming here to not win the job from a guy who is in year 3 of a system but is good enough to want to try anyways” - that’s a much much smaller pool of players. The guys who are confident that they can and will beat him out are off to more elite opportunities.

The question is “is there a guy who will risk coming here to not win the job from a guy who is in year 3 of a system but is good enough to want to try anyways” - that’s a much much smaller pool of players. The guys who are confident that they can and will beat him out are off to more elite opportunities.
We dont need a QB. We need an Ol starter, maybe 2. We need a stud at wr.

We dont need a QB. We need an Ol starter, maybe 2. We need a stud at wr.
What have you seen this far that would lead you to believe we don’t need a QB. I don’t have anything against Tommy, but I was at the Liberty game, I was at the Maryland game I have been to all his home games and I am not seeing an elite QB, to be honest I haven’t even seen a top 7 QB in the ACC thus far. The goal is to field the best team possible, maybe TD is the best we can do, but there is a heck of a lot of players out there you have to at least try and get.

Are there any good soon to be sophs/juniors that are lost in the shuffle somewhere else that can compete for the job and improve depth next year but more importantly...become the starter for a year or two after that?

Why does it have to be a one year thing?

Yeah, if that Schrader kid wants to come here for example, I think that's a take.

That’s great - we need Tommy and he deserves the chance to lead a team that has an opportunity at a great season.

Flipside - two years from now we are back to breaking in a new QB and taking a step back on offense. Again.

That’s great - we need Tommy and he deserves the chance to lead a team that has an opportunity at a great season.

Flipside - two years from now we are back to breaking in a new QB and taking a step back on offense. Again.
Not if that next QB is Morgan or Tex or Lamson... or another 2021 or 2022 recruit/transfer.

this is great news! now go get a transfer QB who can compete with Tommy and that will make me happy, and isn't it always about me being happy?
I am also quite interested in getting a look at this Lamson kid.I understand that he has been working with Ian Book in the off season and it would be nice if some of that rubbed off.

It’s interesting that so many posters thinks there will be automatic improvement if TD returns. Over the last three years I can only remember one game that he excelled. His issues were clear in 2018 and did not improve over two years. The OL has been bad but it’s not like they are going to turn into a top 10 line next year.
I hope TD can improve but after two years of hoping things will change I’m going to have limited expectations going into next year.
We need a transfer DT to compete against TD. I also think it’s a real possibility that someone other than TD is the starter by midway next season.
Here’s hoping I’m wrong and the optimism on the board transpires. But after the last couple of years I’m not going in with orange colored glasses.

Are there any good soon to be sophs/juniors that are lost in the shuffle somewhere else that can compete for the job and improve depth next year but more importantly...become the starter for a year or two after that?

Why does it have to be a one year thing?

Yeah, this is probably the kind of kid we should go after. As stated, the pool of those players is smaller than if we had an opening and clear path to the top spot

It’s interesting that so many posters thinks there will be automatic improvement if TD returns. Over the last three years I can only remember one game that he excelled. His issues were clear in 2018 and did not improve over two years. The OL has been bad but it’s not like they are going to turn into a top 10 line next year.
I hope TD can improve but after two years of hoping things will change I’m going to have limited expectations going into next year.
We need a transfer DT to compete against TD. I also think it’s a real possibility that someone other than TD is the starter by midway next season.
Here’s hoping I’m wrong and the optimism on the board transpires. But after the last couple of years I’m not going in with orange colored glasses.

An automatic improvement over JaCobian and Rex? Yes, unabashedly yes. Adding a transfer and Lamson is helpful for depth and competition.

Side note, how many of those starts featured even the mediocre OL we had late in both 2019 and 2020? And what magical unicorn comes in and is able to overcome the worst version of our OL?

I like that you’re “not wearing orange glasses” but this world where we have an improvement at QB and it’s not Tommy and our OL is still in rough shape takes more suspension of reality than Tommy doing it in year 3

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teddy19

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom