Class of 2024 - QB Trever Jackson (FL) Committed to FSU | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2024 QB Trever Jackson (FL) Committed to FSU

We need 2 HS QBs and 2 transfer QBs, with the 2nd transfer QB having multiple years of eligibility.
I highly doubt that happens. I don't see 6 QBs in the room.

The good schools sign as many good players as they can and then hand-me-down the guys that don't cut it to everyone else. Sometimes they get Tua Tagovailoa beating out a Jalen Hurts and sometimes they get a Stetson Bennett beating out a JT Daniels, but that doesn't happen without stock piling from both high school and the portal first.

That's spot on.

It's also a new paradigm that some in our fanbase will need to wrap their heads around, because it is a change from how things have been done in the past.

We need 2 HS QBs and 2 transfer QBs, with the 2nd transfer QB having multiple years of eligibility.

We need two DTs -- possibly more.

And we need two OL -- possibly three -- who are capable of coming in and starting. Tall order, because quality OL are at such a premium in the portal. We really need Fran and this staff of ace recruiters to work some magic, or we run the risk of not maximizing McCord's abilities next year.

Trenches are deficient on both sides of the ball. That's where we need to beef up.

I see one of CDRW or Davis staying on as QB with the other transferring, changing position etc.

That gives you 5 scholarship QBs as a launching point to next year and beyond.

Also, look at the history. I believe only 1 year (2018) in the last dozen years had the same QB starting the first game that also started the last game of the year.

A lot of raw talent with this kid and would be nice to have in the the qb room with some time to develop. Impressed at Elite 11 finals and opened up a lot of eyes there. He then transfers to a new school before season and has to compete for starting spot in which he’s initially beat out by ‘26 kid. Most of the evaluations say he’s an extremely talented kid that just needs lots of reps to improve decision making.

I see one of CDRW or Davis staying on as QB with the other transferring, changing position etc.

That gives you 5 scholarship QBs as a launching point to next year and beyond.

This is just me thinking out loud -- not specifically a reaction to your post, Nick.

I was hoping to see Davis get more run yesterday, as an audition [for lack of another way to put it] for next year. And also because we didn't see him play outside of a handful of snaps in the first game. I didn't expect to see much, but wanted to see what he was capable of and see what his arm talent looked like.

Based upon what we saw yesterday, I don't think he fits into the future plans. Problem is, he's already used his free transfer, so I don't know what he's going to do.

And I've seen enough of CDRW to know that he isn't good enough, either. At this point, I think he needs to get the talk, and I'd be extremely pleased to replace him with a player like Jackson.

Need to start over, I think.

And I don't care who the successor to McCord eventually is. Jackson, Williams, some other recruit, a portal transfer -- whatever. May the best player win.

Last edited:
This is just me thinking out loud -- not specifically a reaction to your post, Nick.

I was hoping to see Davis get more run yesterday, as an audition [for lack of another way to put it] for next year. And also because we didn't see him play outside of a handful of snaps in the first game. I didn't expect to see much, but wanted to see what he was capable of and see what his arm talent looked like.

Based upon what we saw yesterday, I don't think he fits into the future plans. Problem is, he's already used his free transfer, so I don't know what he's going to do.

And I've seen enough of CDRW to know that he isn't good enough, either. At this point, I think he needs to get the talk, and I'd be extremely pleased to replace him with a player like Jackson.

Need to start over, I think.

And I don't care who the successor to McCord eventually is. Jackson, Williams, some other recruit, a portal transfer -- whatever. May the best player win.

The governing body’s decision comes after a federal court ruled against the NCAA’s rule preventing players from being immediately eligible after transferring a second time. The ruling against the NCAA on Wednesday gave players a 14-day window to transfer a second time without penalty via a temporary restraining order.

There is currently a free card to transfer for a second time before the end of the football season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis transfer again.

We need two DTs -- possibly more.

And we need two OL -- possibly three -- who are capable of coming in and starting. Tall order, because quality OL are at such a premium in the portal. We really need Fran and this staff of ace recruiters to work some magic, or we run the risk of not maximizing McCord's abilities next year.

Trenches are deficient on both sides of the ball. That's where we need to beef up.
Absolutely agree. Would love to see the DT's and definitely 3 more OL's that are all starters. I'm worried less about having 3 QB's on the roster than can play if we have a line that can protect. We won't have the same likelihood for injury as we've had due to protection, which leads to QB runs or just simply getting hit in the pocket every other pass attempt. HCFB and staff have done a great job so far, so really hoping we can fill those lines because if we don't at least revamp the OL, we may have a hard time convincing another big time QB to come here again anytime soon, IMO.

Fran wants to make sure that next year, when we are in the running for the playoffs, we don't get left behind because we don't have a qb.

Fran knows we have a big problem at QB after McCord, so in 2025 he wants more competition. Insurance policy in case we don't get a portal QB of choice next offseason.

The governing body’s decision comes after a federal court ruled against the NCAA’s rule preventing players from being immediately eligible after transferring a second time. The ruling against the NCAA on Wednesday gave players a 14-day window to transfer a second time without penalty via a temporary restraining order.

There is currently a free card to transfer for a second time before the end of the football season. I wouldn't be surprised to see Davis transfer again.
I'm actually really surprised (I know I shouldn't be, with the NCAA) that if a new coach can come in and take away a players "playing eligibility" that that player wouldn't be able to transfer again and play that following year if he had already transferred once. Makes too much sense to say that in such a scenario those players would be excluded from the one transfer rule.

I'm actually really surprised (I know I shouldn't be, with the NCAA) that if a new coach can come in and take away a players "playing eligibility" that that player wouldn't be able to transfer again and play that following year if he had already transferred once. Makes too much sense to say that in such a scenario those players would be excluded from the one transfer rule.

Agreed, that's a common sense solution.

Which means that the NCAA will never get it right.

I would assume that is info that becomes part of a waiver petition.

Looking over some of the top school's rosters I see 6-7 QBs (sure 1-2 might be walk-ons) and I feel 6 is a great number to have in the room, especially with the roller coaster that is the portal.

This would be a great get, never can have too much competition in the QB room. Learn a year behind McCord then let the best one get a shot in 2025.

Looking over some of the top school's rosters I see 6-7 QBs (sure 1-2 might be walk-ons) and I feel 6 is a great number to have in the room, especially with the roller coaster that is the portal.
I’m not sure of McPhail’s eligibility, but 7 seems a bit like overkill to me. Whatever Fran wants is cool with me.

There doesn’t have to be 6, but the current 2 added to 4 new ones does make 6.
There's a long time between now and August. 6 QBs on the roster now does not equal 6 in August. Others have already mentioned what could easily happen to change the numbers.

There's a long time between now and August. 6 QBs on the roster now does not equal 6 in August. Others have already mentioned what could easily happen to change the numbers.
That’s true with any position group. It’s a long way to go until fall camp.

That’s true with any position group. It’s a long way to go until fall camp.
Exactly. So there's no reason to say that numbers are a legitimate reason to not add players at any position.

Specifically with QB, I don't see 4 options on the roster right now. We have 1 and we have a high schooler coming soon.

Exactly. So there's no reason to say that numbers are a legitimate reason to not add players at any position.

Specifically with QB, I don't see 4 options on the roster right now. We have 1 and we have a high schooler coming soon.
I guess I don’t follow recruiting close enough. It just seemed that adding 4 QBs at one time seemed a bit excessive and I don’t recall it being done before.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom