QB2 | Syracusefan.com

QB2

FreakTalksAboutSU

All American
There's a dialogue taking place in some other threads here, but thought maybe we should consolidate it here (or not, I'll let the masses decide).

What do we think about our QB 2 situation moving forward?

I personally believe we need an upgrade, slotting CDRW down to 3rd on the depth chart. I don't believe he will be able to run anything close to the offense we are likely in the process of drawing up for McCord.

I'd love to see us make a run at Michael Alaimo. Class of 2020 QB, originally a Purdue recruit who played (admittedly sparingly) last season at Kent State. NJ kid, was a Rutgers recruit while Brown was there. Runs the pro style. Has 2 years remaining, so may be willing to sit behind McCord for a chance to earn the starting gig in 2025 (or may not...but worth looking at). Struggled some, could use the opportunity to take one more year learning under new coaches and a top shelf QB to see if he can find one more shot at a starting gig.

There's a dialogue taking place in some other threads here, but thought maybe we should consolidate it here (or not, I'll let the masses decide).

I personally believe we need an upgrade, slotting CDRW down to 3rd on the depth chart. I don't believe he will be able to run anything close to the offense we are likely in the process of drawing up for McCord.

I'd love to see us make a run at Michael Alaimo. Class of 2020 QB, originally a Purdue recruit who played (admittedly sparingly) last season at Kent State. NJ kid, was a Rutgers recruit while Brown was there. Runs the pro style. Has 2 years remaining, so may be willing to sit behind McCord for a chance to earn the starting gig in 2025 (or may not...but worth looking at). Struggled some, could use the opportunity to take one more year learning under new coaches and a top shelf QB to see if he can find one more shot at a starting gig.
That could hurt recruiting a good QB if he knows that he won't be higher than 2nd or 3rd for a couple of years.

His numbers look pretty bad last year but it was sparingly like you said and Kent State was a dumpster fire. All their talent bailed when the tall man left. Interesting idea

I don’t have any names, and I know it’s easier said than done, but I think in an ideal world we have a grad transfer backup who had success at a lower level (FCS or a top D2 program), and doesn’t necessarily have the ambitions of playing pro football.

We don’t need a backup with the arm talent to consistently throw 15 yard field outs, but we need them to be experienced in processing and executing weekly game plan, and be able to throw most of the route tree at the FBS level. We could then hand the reigns to them and give the Jahkari Williams of the world a series or two if McCord (or a future starter) is out for a couple games.

Surely there must be solid QBs out there who are more interested in a Newhouse grad program than a shot at the NFL.

We should have a much more talented and deeper O'line next year along with being better at WR-TE and RB so our 2nd string QB should have a much easier time adjusting to his role than in the past I am hoping that J. Williams or B. Davis can be that guy, if CDW bolts then we probably hit the portal for more depth at QB and in case of emergency Villari could be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.

Only a select few programs will have good transfer QBs as backups and they’ll have weird situations like a grad student and an up and coming backup that won the starting spot due to a late injury or something like that. Likely the only positions you’ll need to consistently mine the highschool ranks for will be QB and kicker

Last edited:
We should have a much more talented and deeper O'line next year along with being better at WR-TE and RB so our 2nd string QB should have a much easier time adjusting to his role than in the past I am hoping that J. Williams or B. Davis can be that guy, if CDW bolts then we probably hit the portal for more depth at QB and in case of emergency Villari could be 3rd or 4th on the depth chart.
And now that we have a new coach, we can use crossing patterns in the middle of the field.

CDRW was not as mobile as Shrader, and consequently had difficulty running our offense with a porous OL. Before giving up on him, I'd like to see how he performs this spring in a more traditional drop-back role.

3 scholarship freshmen battling it out is my preference the best of the group should be serviceable.

Davis and CDRW should be looking for new teams but I can’t imagine they have any FBS offers who’s gonna use a scholarship on either? Davis wasn’t trusted to start a bowl game vs the worst pass defense in the country he was not a true freshman either and I think there’s some other stuff working against CDRW than his BC game tape.

If Tagvailoa gets another year McCord will too. We want to spend the next 2 years grooming a replacement.

Always wondered if CDRW could make the transition to TE, but I don't think he has the wheels for it.

We can debate the pros and cons of the portal until forever. But one clear result of the portal is that the factory schools are having a more difficult time stockpiling top QBs for their careers. The portal is effecting the QB position more than any other. I’m sure NiL is playing a role here too. The result has been a redistribution of QB talent across FBS where almost everyone is going to have a four star or better QB. Not that that will predict results, but it’s like water finding its own level. 130 QBs and every backup has one eye on the portal. The opportunities to hold onto a kid and develop them for the future will be greatly reduced.

I wonder if a run-oriented offense could help CDRW a ton. Kid has talent and seems to work hard (though I too hated the laughing during the VT blow out.)

Portal life has made us conditioned to wanting to throw out non-immediate impact players. The romantic in me root for him to earn a QB2 role. Of course the pure fan in me just wants to win so whatever happens, happens.

I wonder if a run-oriented offense could help CDRW a ton. Kid has talent and seems to work hard (though I too hated the laughing during the VT blow out.)

Portal life has made us conditioned to wanting to throw out non-immediate impact players. The romantic in me root for him to earn a QB2 role. Of course the pure fan in me just wants to win so whatever happens, happens.
I'm not looking to throw anyone out. But we are building a team to compete next year. if McCord goes down we dont have a QB I trust to throw the ball. CDRW can be the 3

CDRW was not as mobile as Shrader, and consequently had difficulty running our offense with a porous OL. Before giving up on him, I'd like to see how he performs this spring in a more traditional drop-back role.
spot on. CD has a cannon and can make all of the throws. IF he gets solid coaching which i believe he will and has a few kids that give him more than a second to throw with WR that actually get open i think he is going to do just fine.

spot on. CD has a cannon and can make all of the throws. IF he gets solid coaching which i believe he will and has a few kids that give him more than a second to throw with WR that actually get open i think he is going to do just fine.
His problem is from the neck up.

he needs to calm down

What we should hope for is a young highly thought of guy that was beaten out by a generational talent from a factory school that stock piles QBs like Ohio State with Joe Burrow. A guy like that knows he'll have a shot at the starting job when McCord leaves.

His problem is from the neck up.

he needs to calm down
That's easier said than done. A lot of guys are just wired a certain way. I think of how Dungey looked like he was in command the second he stepped on the field despite being a true freshman that didn't expect to start. How long should it take for CDRW to calm down? This was his third year in college.

I've seen every down he's played at SU and have yet to see this "cannon" you mentioned. Granted, I think most of his issues are mental which leads to bad mechanics...which leads to poor results...which leads to lack of confidence.

I've seen every down he's played at SU and have yet to see this "cannon" you mentioned. Granted, I think most of his issues are mental which leads to bad mechanics...which leads to poor results...which leads to lack of confidence.
I've seen him rifle it a number of times. He just rifles it to nobody in particular, rifles it to someone that's covered, or fails to pull the trigger because he is late in reading the play.

I've seen him rifle it a number of times. He just rifles it to nobody in particular, rifles it to someone that's covered, or fails to pull the trigger because he is late in reading the play.
I agree. Even if he did have a "Cannon" which I haven't seen. The accuracy is even worse. Been in college for 3 years it's not going to happen.

I agree. Even if he did have a "Cannon" which I haven't seen. The accuracy is even worse. Been in college for 3 years it's not going to happen.
He's got a really strong arm. I thought he showed it a few times. He also has great size and some speed. He just lacks everything else to be a QB at a level where he's not far and away the best athlete on the field. And I just don't see him adequately improving on what he lacks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom