QBs Still in Play | Page 8 | Syracusefan.com

QBs Still in Play

I don't know man, those numbers appear to be average at 1st look and kind of depressing when adjusting for the tempo and "offensive guru" aspects that we would expect. Especially if you are a Freshman or are a transfer that has to sit a year and worst case you have a clear path to the #2 spot without much trouble and then the starting job wide open in 2 years if you prove incapable of taking it. Obviously none of this applies to grad transfers. Way different story there. Can't anticipate beating out a returning starter that has been in the system when you only have a year to play with.

We didn’t really go tempo that often. He had about 40 less pass attempts than Eric last year and that’s with Tommy taking some.

I think a transfer who has to sit a year is our best bet. That won’t help with depth in 2020, but might yield the best talent. I don’t think a grad transfer will want to compete with a top half of the ACC guy. Too risky.

50%, but Servais was absolutely terrible at center. I have never seen a season since about the early 70s, when I saw defenses come right up the gut against us over and over and over. Move him back to tackle, and put somebody better at center.
You might want to go watch some of Mackey's early games
Servais did have a pretty bad time and part of that is do to the coaches slim him way down for the ability to pull from the tackle position as he played center fairly well the year before

Servais did have a pretty bad time and part of that is do to the coaches slim him way down for the ability to pull from the tackle position as he played center fairly well the year before

Don't think this on the coaches.

Yes, Mackey as a frosh was bad as well, too undersized. Was that Greg Paulus' year at QB?
But Mackey did get better over time, and was pretty good by the time he finished here.

Yes, Mackey as a frosh was bad as well, too undersized. Was that Greg Paulus' year at QB?
But Mackey did get better over time, and was pretty good by the time he finished here.
It was and we didn't run the shotgun that year
Yes Mackey had a fine career and I was glad we had him

He wasn't very good in there last year either. Much of that problem was masked because of Dungey.
He was all-ECAC 1st team last year
Lead the team with 36.5 knockdown blocks
Sure he was all world but better then this

He was all-ECAC 1st team last year
Lead the team with 36.5 knockdown blocks
Sure he was all world but better then this

that's fine and all. But there were numerous times he'd get blown up and and it'd lead to Dungey having to scramble as well as he was a big reason for the lack of an inside running game. It was discussed as nauseam last year.

50%, but Servais was absolutely terrible at center. I have never seen a season since about the early 70s, when I saw defenses come right up the gut against us over and over and over. Move him back to tackle, and put somebody better at center.

Did you catch the last 3 games?

I wouldn't plan on seeing Servais at center anymore. Many of Vettorello's snaps defied gravity, but we still looked way better on offense. Servais plays well outside.

Last edited:
that's fine and all. But there were numerous times he'd get blown up and and it'd lead to Dungey having to scramble as well as he was a big reason for the lack of an inside running game. It was discussed as nauseam last year.
But he was better last was my point
He regressed this year and that was my original point

Why don't we just sign this Malik Hornsby fella from Texas and be done with it?

See, problem solved.

Who's next.

Why don't we just sign this Malik Hornsby fella from Texas and be done with it?

See, problem solved.

Who's next.
As long as TD is here, you won't get a quality backup. Dino annointed TD as his guy, and stuck with him all year even when the offense was bad. Kids look at that, and realize they don't have a chance to come in and compete to start.

As long as TD is here, you won't get a quality backup. Dino annointed TD as his guy, and stuck with him all year even when the offense was bad. Kids look at that, and realize they don't have a chance to come in and compete to start.

It seemed like an awful lot of people on this board annointed him as the starter, even wanting him to start over Dungey. I can't remember one poster saying "hey this guy might struggle when teams get to see him play and can gameplan for him". And now we can't get a QB recruit or transfer because the guy everyone thinks can't do the job is in the way?

He stuck with him because he is a better QB than the other guys on the roster, lol. They don’t want to come here and compete with him because he’s pretty good. The offense was bad for a lot of reasons, TD was *part* of that - not the sole reason. I’d actually put it on the OL more than any other one position group.

It seemed like an awful lot of people on this board annointed him as the starter, even wanting him to start over Dungey. I can't remember one poster saying "hey this guy might struggle when teams get to see him play and can gameplan for him". And now we can't get a QB recruit or transfer because the guy everyone thinks can't do the job is in the way?

TD put pressure on Eric in *Eric’s senior year* ... every coach and every fan would 100% see him as the starter the following year.

Guys bending themselves into pretzels trying to figure out a world where Tommy isn’t any good and the dominos that result from that are missing the actual, provable stat and eye test that says “this guy is ok now and could be very good in the near future”

He stuck with him because he is a better QB than the other guys on the roster, lol. They don’t want to come here and compete with him because he’s pretty good. The offense was bad for a lot of reasons, TD was *part* of that - not the sole reason. I’d actually put it on the OL more than any other one position group.
He may have been pretty good in practice where he had no pressure allowed to get to him but in a games where they threw constant pressure his way he didn't know how to handle it and he ran around in some la la land and either ended up Intentional Grounding or try throwing to sideline to a ghost receiver and end up getting intercepted. Agree early on bad O-line but later on just plain BAD decisions. Again some lack of a good QB coach.

Kids are competitive and so are coaches. I don't buy that. It's Tommy's job until it becomes somebody else's job.

He may have been pretty good in practice where he had no pressure allowed to get to him but in a games where they threw constant pressure his way he didn't know how to handle it and he ran around in some la la land and either ended up Intentional Grounding or try throwing to sideline to a ghost receiver and end up getting intercepted. Agree early on bad O-line but later on just plain BAD decisions. Again some lack of a good QB coach.

I don’t know man. I think he’s a victim of high expectations. If he’d put in the kind of year he did and was some unheralded 3*, I think there would be a lot of believers in the kid.

He has work to do dealing with pressure, as does the OL. But I think he got better at dealing with it late in the year.

I don’t know man. I think he’s a victim of high expectations. If he’d put in the kind of year he did and was some unheralded 3*, I think there would be a lot of believers in the kid.

He has work to do dealing with pressure, as does the OL. But I think he got better at dealing with it late in the year.

Shouldn't we expect more for a more talented player?

I think part of the issue is that we had a kid start the majority of games over the last four years who compensated for a lack of talent with smarts, moxie, and tenacity. Tommy was the opposite (not questioning his toughness - Tommy took a lot of shots and played through it as best he could). Since we're used to being the underdog, the former is endearing, while the latter is maddening.

The good news is that Tommy should develop into more of a gamer. Nassib certainly did.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom