QBs Still in Play | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

QBs Still in Play

That is the answer. 13.9.2.3.1 Basically says that an early enrollee can count towards the current academic year 2019.. The rest of the class would have aid begin in the Fall and count towards 2020.

We have six right now that are suppose to be earlies but I don't think they can all count. Maybe only two.

Last edited:
6-4 200, per this article:

1576785288078.png

No question on Dungey and Nassib. But those were almost the entirety of DeVito's stats. 14 of his 19 TDs came against a brutal WMU defense, Holy Cross, and two games where we got utterly destroyed. If you look at his numbers in our three best wins -- liberty/wake/duke -- he did next to nothing. That's the bigger concern. It's fine if he's not putting up 4 TDs in all those games, but he basically didn't play vs. Wake, completed six passes against Duke and struggled all night against liberty. In all he threw 5 TDs in 8 games outside of the four I mentioned earlier. That's not a great sign.

I get what your saying and agree to a degree - but he didn’t play much vs Wake because he was hurt. The Duke game was a run 1st type game due to weather (Eric had a stinker like that vs Wake).

I also think if you look at the non-senior year version of Eric/Ryan - you’ll see them struggle against the good teams at times too. It’s kind of what young QBs do vs good experienced D.

I don’t know what happened vs Liberty lol

Some of Dungey’s best games were against weaker competition. I’d suspect Nassib too.

I’m very much pro-bringing in a talented kid to push TD. Zero issue with that. I think the issue is he’s good enough that young players don’t want to compete with him.

That's not a real thing. The top 20 kids pick the same 20-30 schools every year for the most part. The only ones that wouldn't want to mess around with an established guy is a grad transfer who has 1 year to get things done.

McLemore’s offer list isn’t too intimidating. Biggest offers are WSU and Fresno State. If SU offered, they wouldn’t be too far behind as those offers came in the last 2 months. Good grades and test scores. I’d be happy with this addition.

a sharp poster on TOS noticed that the staff is following a HS QB in California named Daylin McLemore, the kid got injured this year but looks like the real deal. sharp poster also noted that his dad is former 49er Dana McLemore who played his college ball at Hawaii. Guess who was a teammate of his for a few years at Hawaii? the Ohana man himself, Dino Babers
So that's why I've been following this kid.

That's not a real thing. The top 20 kids pick the same 20-30 schools every year for the most part. The only ones that wouldn't want to mess around with an established guy is a grad transfer who has 1 year to get things done.

3 of the 4 QBs in the playoffs were in the transfer portal. The top guys aren’t waiting around anymore.

Note - I’m not super committed to this line of thinking. It’s just the best explanation outside of our coaches are sucking, which def explains some of it. Can’t be the whole thing.

I do 100% think that the perception of Tommy outside of our fanbase is different and probably more positive.

3 of the 4 QBs in the playoffs were in the transfer portal. The top guys aren’t waiting around anymore.

Note - I’m not super committed to this line of thinking. It’s just the best explanation outside of our coaches are sucking, which def explains some of it. Can’t be the whole thing.

I do 100% think that the perception of Tommy outside of our fanbase is different and probably more positive.

Tommy looks good until there is a whiff of pressure... Then runs around in all kinds of weird directions like there is a blinding spotlight on him... His pocket presence is about as bad as I've ever seen...

I would think that the thinking would be significantly less that what we think honestly. We are a bit negative because we expected so much. To someone outside, they are just going to be going off of his play and his numbers and those aren't very impressive. If you're a QB and hoping to play at a P5 school, it's pretty difficult to find a less threatening QB situation than what we have. We have a returning starter that didn't show much was injured for a chunk of the year and then we have 0 threats waiting in the wings.

Tommy looks good until there is a whiff of pressure... Then runs around in all kinds of weird directions like there is a blinding spotlight on him... His pocket presence is about as bad as I've ever seen...

Didn’t describe him as perfect or finished product. Said he’s about where Eric and Ryan were at similar points in their careers.

I would think that the thinking would be significantly less that what we think honestly. We are a bit negative because we expected so much. To someone outside, they are just going to be going off of his play and his numbers and those aren't very impressive. If you're a QB and hoping to play at a P5 school, it's pretty difficult to find a less threatening QB situation than what we have. We have a returning starter that didn't show much was injured for a chunk of the year and then we have 0 threats waiting in the wings.

I think that if you look at the numbers, you're probably thinking he's an entrenched starter. (Plus I think you're also probably thinking we can't keep a QB upright)

Tommy DeVito, QB

Yards Per GameQB RatingYards per AttComp %TD Passes
ACC#6#6#7#4#5
Nationally#71#58#77#39#46

That is the answer. 13.9.2.3.1 Basically says that an early enrollee can count towards the current academic year 2019.. The rest of the class would have aid begin in the Fall and count towards 2020.

We have six right now that are suppose to be earlies but I don't think they can all count. Maybe only two.

I thought we only had 3 plus Bleich or are the krauts starting early?

I thought we only had 3 plus Bleich or are the krauts starting early?

Signed NLI (18)
Damien Alford
Garth Barclay
Justin Barron
Robert Hanna
Josh Ilaoa
Latarie Kinsler Jr (Jan Enrollee)
Ben Labrosse
Kevin Lemieux
Leon Lowery
Steven Mahar
Max Mang (Jan Enrollee)
Trebor Pena
Mark Petry [JUCO] (Jan Enrollee)
Stefon Thompson (Jan Enrollee)
Sean Tucker
Marlowe Wax, Jr.
James Williams
Ja'Vontae Williams (Jan Enrollee)

Transfers (1)
Chris Bleich [Florida]

Six including Bleich.

I think that if you look at the numbers, you're probably thinking he's an entrenched starter. (Plus I think you're also probably thinking we can't keep a QB upright)

Tommy DeVito, QB

Yards Per GameQB RatingYards per AttComp %TD Passes
ACC#6#6#7#4#5
Nationally#71#58#77#39#46

I don't know man, those numbers appear to be average at 1st look and kind of depressing when adjusting for the tempo and "offensive guru" aspects that we would expect. Especially if you are a Freshman or are a transfer that has to sit a year and worst case you have a clear path to the #2 spot without much trouble and then the starting job wide open in 2 years if you prove incapable of taking it. Obviously none of this applies to grad transfers. Way different story there. Can't anticipate beating out a returning starter that has been in the system when you only have a year to play with.

I don't know man, those numbers appear to be average at 1st look and kind of depressing when adjusting for the tempo and "offensive guru" aspects that we would expect. Especially if you are a Freshman or are a transfer that has to sit a year and worst case you have a clear path to the #2 spot without much trouble and then the starting job wide open in 2 years if you prove incapable of taking it. Obviously none of this applies to grad transfers. Way different story there. Can't anticipate beating out a returning starter that has been in the system when you only have a year to play with.

Seems pretty clear that the offensive line issues coupled with DeVito's lack of initial readiness was a far bigger issue than the offensive guru and his system.

TD seemed to improve as the year one on, and I would expect a different level of performance now that he's got multiple starts under his belt.

50%, but Servais was absolutely terrible at center. I have never seen a season since about the early 70s, when I saw defenses come right up the gut against us over and over and over. Move him back to tackle, and put somebody better at center.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom