Question about Hop | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Question about Hop

They do.
The best Seattle talent was some kid named Johnny Allen Hendrix.
Left hander.
Phenomenal player.
Maybe the best ever.
Got into trouble with stolen cars...dropped out of high school...died young.
Nicknamed Jimi.
Lefty

I think I read that he's a Seattle kid. They have some good talent in that city.
Sarcasm alert, Ithaca. Phat is trying to make a point that the kid was in Hop’s backyard, and I believe both parents are UW grads.

Last edited:
Hop has always been an elite recruiter. He connects with the players. Im sure that Gmac Red and Griff are solid but they are not in Hops league. I seriously doubt that we will ever go head to head against Mike and win a recruiting battle. Thank God he took a job about as far away as is possible. I cant imagine him at an Eastern school. It would be ugly.

Obviously, we recruited Stewart. We’re not going to recruit a kid from Seattle, though.
The coaches philosophy is they don’t target top 20 guys

they said it time and time and time again

we’re not speaking about if they could recruit a kid from Seattle

Hop has always been an elite recruiter. He connects with the players. Im sure that Gmac Red and Griff are solid but they are not in Hops league. I seriously doubt that we will ever go head to head against Mike and win a recruiting battle. Thank God he took a job about as far away as is possible. I cant imagine him at an Eastern school. It would be ugly.

He already grabbed Stewart, and already has 20+ years of connections with AAU and high school coaches, the distance is enough to scare off some kids but have a feeling Hop is going to get a lot of east coast kids packing their bags and heading West

I don't know when the philosophy went into place but it seems around the same time we stopped being a top 20 team.

I don’t think they’ve said that at all. We’ve signed a lot of top 20 guys. Maybe not a lot of top 5, but plenty of top twenty.

Hops Huskies are also heading to Italy, young team and some extra games to gel, could be a damn good squad.

People just have their own (incorrect) narratives on here.

Don't think it's incorrect at all. We are in the toughest conference in the country . We need elite talent to compete. When your best recruiter walks out of the door and you don't replace him, there is cause for concern. The drop off has been staggering

Don't think it's incorrect at all. We are in the toughest conference in the country . We need elite talent to compete. When your best recruiter walks out of the door and you don't replace him, there is cause for concern. The drop off has been staggering
That’s not the point of the posts at all

You do and you don't. The last two years in the FF there's been 2 top 20 players I believe. If this was the case Virginia wouldn't have won this year. I think people go overboard a bit on the top talent. Unless we are talking a Carmelo or a Zion they don't stick around long enough to get the great results. As for Hop he's recruiting better at UW now than he was his past couple years here. It wasn't like he was killing it right before he left.

Shhh. Doesn't fit the narrative.

I mean, we didn’t recruit Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Dakari Johnson? Darius Bazely? Nick Richards? Lonnie Walker? Billy Preston? Mo Bamba? Kobi Simmons? Chiek Diallo, Isaiah Briscoe? Thomas Bryant? Carlton Bragg? Chris Mccullough?

I must have imagined all that. :)

I mean, we didn’t recruit Anthony Davis, Nerlens Noel, Dakari Johnson? Darius Bazely? Nick Richards? Lonnie Walker? Billy Preston? Mo Bamba? Kobi Simmons? Chiek Diallo, Isaiah Briscoe? Thomas Bryant? Carlton Bragg? Chris Mccullough?

I must have imagined all that. :)
Nope. Not a single one of them. We can't land them, so why even try?

Philosophy.

f
100%. Once Hop became a head coach, everything came together. Now players he recruits know he’s the head guy making decisions about their playing time and college career. Before recruits might’ve connected well with Hop, but they knew JB was the one making the decisions. JB gave Hop a great opportunity and made his career. But Hop ran with it and then some. Hop’s a dynamic and charismatic guy that young players trust and connect with. He would kill us in a head to head recruiting battle, all other things being equal. I think Wildhack believed Hop would be a great HC, but Hop left because he couldn’t stomach being the guy to push JB out, once it became clear JB didn’t really want to retire.

Shhh. Doesn't fit the narrative.
If you haven’t heard the coach say it...
I can’t help you

it doesn’t mean ever !!

it means it’s not their main philosophy

nice try though

f
but Hop left because he couldn’t stomach being the guy to push JB out, once it became clear JB didn’t really want to retire.

Hmmm...Exactly the premise to my question a few weeks ago that got several board members panties in an uproar.

It is just interesting to me if it “was it more Hop’s choice or Jim’s influence on situation.”

I’m comfortable with the scenario you and some others laid out above, for the most part. However, I do have intel that Jim made it very clear both directly and indirectly to Hop, he did not want to leave quietly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great player. UW is going to be really good next year and as a bonus he doesn't go to UK. Hopefully Hop texted Cal this is for that kid that elbowed me in the face and made me bleed all over my uniform in the 2nd round of 92 tourney. Payback 27 years in the making. OK that didn't happen but I would like to believe it did.

That was impressively random and detailed. Well done!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cuseman17

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom