Question - Not a Big Bball Fan, so... | Syracusefan.com

Question - Not a Big Bball Fan, so...

OrangeinBoston

All Conference
How did Texas Tech get so good? It seems to me they came out of nowhere. Transfers? Recruiting?

They got lucky in a few different ways:

1) Culver became a stud. He was a 3 star recruit from Lubbock, stayed home, and developed into a star.

2) They got Beard to switch from UNLV after he had accepted that job

3) They got Mooney + Owens as grad transfers

They got lucky in a few different ways:

1) Culver became a stud. He was a 3 star recruit from Lubbock, stayed home, and developed into a star.

2) They got Beard to switch from UNLV after he had accepted that job

3) They got Mooney + Owens as grad transfers

Are those things luck, or effective strategic planning and recruiting and coaching?

Beard is a helluva coach.
This. I think it’s all Beard. Culver developing into a stud is another big part buts mostly Beard. Owens was nothing like the player he was at St. John’s. He’s a tremendous coach and I think it’s all his system. He developed Zaire smith too.

He was at Arkansas-Little Rock for one year. The year before he arrived, they won 13 games. The year he was there they won 30 games and beat Purdue in the first round of the tournament. The year after he left they won 15 games. I'd say he's pretty good.

Last edited:
Beard is a helluva coach no doubt but still a big amount of luck for it all to come together this year after losing the players they did from last year

Beard is a helluva coach no doubt but still a big amount of luck for it all to come together this year after losing the players they did from last year
Fair but also he’s the main reason IMHO the team from last year reached the elite 8 as well. I mean TTU has had barely any success as a program until he took over.

Bob Knight laid down the foundation for that program to become successful.

Bob Knight laid down the foundation for that program to become successful.

I’d almost forgotten about the SU slaughter of Texas Tech when Knight was there.

One of our more lopsided victories that I can remember.(not counting the small school early season games).

Devendorf hit the scene like a trash talking mad man early in his freshman year. He was always like that, but he was WAY extra with it in November of his freshman year, lol.

I’d almost forgotten about the SU slaughter of Texas Tech when Knight was there.

One of our more lopsided victories that I can remember.(not counting the small school early season games).

Devendorf hit the scene like a trash talking mad man early in his freshman year. He was always like that, but he was WAY extra with it in November of his freshman year, lol.

We thought we were hot stuff until we played the team that would win the next two national championships the next day.

Well, I was recollecting back to when Knight took over that program and how it was in such obscurity before that and he brought it national attention and some good success. Since that era, they seem to be trying really hard to get a good coach and be a respected program. They have struck pay-dirt with Beard, good for them.

Are those things luck, or effective strategic planning and recruiting and coaching?

Maybe "lucky" was the wrong word. Fortunate?

Fortunate that Culver was a hometown kid who blossomed late
Fortunate that Beard had family in the area and had only *just* accepted the UNLV deal
Fortunate that, with a very very thin roster, they had two quality grad transfers pick them.

Actually i'm not a big basketball fan, either. it would be too heavy.

1554216287217.png

coaching matters and they hit it out of the park with Beard. they lost a guy to the lottery last year that they weren't expecting ahd haven't missed a beat and we are worries about replacing OB. Beard is good.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom