Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 52 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
I mean Benny is ranked higher than Grant was and actually can shoot. Shooting held Jerami back here and why people were up in arms when he declared.

The lack of production with freshman forwards really doesn’t jive with our past history. If they didn’t produce it was usually because they were blocked by a veteran.

I always viewed grant as more of an athlete than a b-ball player when he first got here. Kudos to him for developing his skills while at SU and in the nba.

I have no doubt he wanted to coach both his kids if they could play at that level. Which coach/dad wouldn’t? Unless a dad just didn’t want the scrutiny which is understandable. You’re right, it was the manipulate word that jumped out at me. JB sure did a lot of pumping up Q by saying he could be an AA if he really wanted him out ao Jimmy could come in. I don’t buy that.
I understand JB wanting to coach both his sons. It’s a great opportunity and a great story. But I guess I’m not entirely on board with the calculation, if it led to pushing Q out the door. I know you and dasher keep saying it was prompted by the date change in when kids had to declare if they were staying in the NBA draft or not (from May to July). But it feels like that’s not what’s going on here, seeing how Quincy suddenly seems to be in hot pursuit of a college transfer over pursuing the NBA draft option. If he was actually pursuing a pro career, I don’t think these P5 colleges would get involved until he really made a decision. Quincy’s decision feels like a rejection of Syracuse (or maybe JB’s coaching style). I also worry that it comes down to a failure of communication by our staff (mostly JB) about Q’s role for next season.

Why is he not coming back to Syracuse if he is returning to play College Ball ?

Why did he leave once and for all. So I can settle myself this one ticks me off if he returns to college at a different school.
why?

It is really obvious. JB gives his guys specific lanes to stay within...unless they are like Billy Owens or Carmelo... on that level. Then they can do whatever. The vast majority of his players aren't.

He gives them a role to play. He constructs his team with roles for all of his players. he's a master puppeteer. It works...the team wins.

This generation is resistance to that type of approach more than previous ones. Players are more empowered now. More of a me first culture.

QG wants a different role. Very simple. Same way Kadary wanted a different role.

Are there players who may have been able to shine more with more free reign over the years who have played for JB? yeah sure. of course...but in a team basketball setup...those that leave rarely actually do shine more than they ever could at SU.

In the end, JB still gets the best out of his players...as the recent Tyus Battle quotes can attest...but usually by their 3rd or fourth year, though...there's no patience and the grass is greener.

NCAABB is not what it was even 10 years ago...when it was a watered-down version of what it was in the 80s and 90s. just facts.

I understand JB wanting to coach both his sons. It’s a great opportunity and a great story. But I guess I’m not entirely on board with the calculation, if it led to pushing Q out the door. I know you and dasher keep saying it was prompted by the date change in when kids had to declare if they were staying in the NBA draft or not (from May to July). But it feels like that’s not what’s going on here, seeing how Quincy suddenly seems to be in hot pursuit of a college transfer over pursuing the NBA draft option. If he was actually pursuing a pro career, I don’t think these P5 colleges would get involved until he really made a decision. Quincy’s decision feels like a rejection of Syracuse (or maybe JB’s coaching style). I also worry that it comes down to a failure of communication by our staff (mostly JB) about Q’s role for next season.
I've been tough on JB the past year, but I don't think for a second that he "pushed" Q out to make room for his son. Guerrier just doesn't want to be at SU anymore, likely for a few reasons. Sometimes a ciagr is just a cigar.

I agree with all this. JB manipulated the situation so he could coach his two sons one last year. Maybe he deserves that. But either way, I think we’re gonna look at Quincy killing it next year at Illinois or Oregon and wish we had held onto him over one dimensional forwards like Cole and Jimmy. We better hope Benny is a stud or the forward positions will be a weakness, especially with defense and rebounding.
I think if Q is playing on a tournament team next year his numbers won't be a ton different than they were here.

I've been tough on JB the past year, but I don't think for a second that he "pushed" Q out to make room for his son. Guerrier just doesn't want to be at SU anymore, likely for a few reasons. Sometimes a ciagr is just a cigar.
JB didn’t push Q out.
It’s just everyone assumed he was going pro.
How didn’t the staff not realize he may not go pro?

JB didn’t push Q out.
Who said they didn’t? Whether it was 50/50, 60/40, or 95/5, they needed to prepare as if it was 100%.

JB didn’t push Q out.

maybe he didn’t say it? I’m not sure when he announced he was testing the nba waters he even considered the portal. Wasn’t it a month later that he went into the portal?

I would agree that Quincy wants to NOT play the 4. Personally I think he sees himself as a swingman and more of a 2 than a 3. He wants to be a shooter. Quincy's problem going to any other school will be the same one he faces at Syracuse. Skill wise in college, he is a 4. And that often leaves him undersized, but also able to take advantage against smaller opponents. If Q truly were an NBA level talent he would not care less if Jimmy Jr or Cole or anyone else joined the team. I don't know what is more frustrating to me, the fact that JB seems to be limiting his roster this season or the people that freakout every time we do bring a player in because then that means someone else won't get the playing time they deserve...blah blah blah.
well he is not a 2 not a 3 and an undersized 4 that struggles to play inside against bigger players...

good player but not a big deal that he is leaving imo.

I'd rather have a southerland or shumpert type in his spot, tbh...

If its gonna be live by the 3 die by the 3 might as well go all the way with it...

Explain it.

ok, will do. I’ll take it down a knotch.

you asked how did the staff not realize he may not go pro.

1. I said maybe he didn’t say it? Meaning maybe he may not have given any indication of that.

2. I then wondered if he was even considering that when he announced about the nba.

3 I then asked wasn’t it a month after the nba announcement that he went into the portal.

and I’m talking going to another team via the portal.

The dudes path to the nba is a 2 or 3. He was never going to play either here. Certainly not the 2

See, I disagree with you here. We did not have to bring in Jimmy Jr. or could have held off til Q decided (it already seems like he’s leaning towards returning to college!). Jr. is just not going to be as good as Quincy, so it would have been worth it to wait for Q to decide. Cole and Benny are basically Braswell and Griff replacements. JB did what was best for him and his self interest to coach both his sons in one last hurrah (which it’s fair to argue he deserves after 45 years). At the very least, JB could have told Quincy, if you want to return, you’ll get 35mpg at SF and I’ll move Jimmy to center or only play him sparingly if need be, and run Benny and Cole at the other forward spot.
I see this situation in such a different light, I felt I should respond.

First, I do not think Jr in any way influenced QG. QG was miles ahead of Jr on the minutes list. IMO, it is Cole who has changed the path for QG coming back. There is no longer any guarantee of big minutes for QG here.

Secondly, I feel Jr came in to be a backup forward. JimJr came in after Woody announced he was leaving. There was talk of needing 4 forwards. JimJr had a unique opportunity to come help his father during a chaotic time when getting a backup player is extremely tricky.

And lastly, your "manipulation" theory doesn't stand up well under the Kaluma news - the multiple zoom meetings JB has had trying to woo the top 50 forward to come in for 2021. That isn't the way to try and clear out controversy free PT for your kid.

In my humble opinion-

There is no league anywhere in the world - college, pro, or otherwise - in which Quincy Guerrier could remotely function as a guard.
To function as a SF/wing he’ll need to improve ALOT in a few essential areas, and in a very short period of time.

Good luck to the kid, I really like him and I hope he can find success.

It’s common sense.
When Tyler Ennis left they weren’t prepared.
Common sense though.
When CJ Fair was considering leaving after his Junior year they weren’t prepared.

But common sense though.

The roster management the last decade since 2012 has been awful.

Not bad plain awful.

We have barely had just enough players and when we lose games it’s because all players are going to have bad games. When we have no depth you have little margin for error.

Common sense though.
When CJ Fair was considering leaving after his Junior year they weren’t prepared.

But common sense though.

Not bad plain awful.

We have barely had just enough players and when we lose games it’s because all players are going to have bad games. When we have no depth you have little margin for error.

And yet they compete.

Everyone understand that past 8 players a quality 9 / 10 will go somewhere else.

Q declared and he got replaced. What he had in common with a lot of early guys is that he’s at best another AAAA talent. JB sees that clearer then they do.

Common sense though.

But common sense though.

Not bad plain awful.

What are you even talking about? We had depth at forward when Fair considered leaving. Ennis leaving caught them off guard (pun intended), but they did have Joseph coming in.

Where’s pearl31 with his goalposts gif?

well he is not a 2 not a 3 and an undersized 4 that struggles to play inside against bigger players...

good player but not a big deal that he is leaving imo.

I'd rather have a southerland or shumpert type in his spot, tbh...

If its gonna be live by the 3 die by the 3 might as well go all the way with it...
Really? Simply living by the 3, and dying by the 3 is not the way to go, especially in CBB. Yes, you need good shooters or you can’t compete, but you also can’t be one dimensional. You also need some interior play and/or guys that can attack of the bounce. Quincy gave us the former and was a decent shooter. Between Buddy, Joe, and Cole, we have really good shooters. What we need is a player who can drive to the basket and score—and we lost that in Kadary. And we also lost the guy who can operate near the paint and in the post in Quincy. I also think we’re really gonna miss Marek next season.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlsbergMD

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors