Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal | Page 57 | Syracusefan.com

Quincy Guerrier to test the NBA and enter the portal

Status
Not open for further replies.
What I am about to tell you is a fact. Not my opinion. Whether Q was staying, leaving or going to the moon, we were going to go hard and get Swider. The reason...our coaches think that Cole is a , and this is their words not mine, an elite shooter. If both Cole and Griff were on this coming year's team, Cole would play in front of Griff.
Appreciate the response. Yea, I like the Swider addition and have from the beginning. Braswell announced his transfer, and it was clear Griff and Woody were also gonna leave, so we definitely needed another forward.

If you look at my original response, I was just collecting the stats and showing you that Griff and Cole played an equal amount of minutes (18-19 pg) at Illinois and Nova during the seasons before they came to SU, and Griff’s sophomore stats were all better than Cole’s junior stats. I also think Griff is more athletic (though undersized for a forward). I know the coaches like what they have in Cole, and I do too. I’m just concerned that him and Jimmy are not the most athletic duo at forward.

Btw, do you think JB called Jay Wright to pick his brain about Cole after the kid announced his transfer?

Yes because players don’t wait till July.
It’s just the deadline.
If Q was the priority we would have waited.
He wasn’t.
The priority was to ensure we had enough forwards.

Looking forward to you showing us who is still available in the portal on Thursday.

I think people are going to be really surprised when they see how effective Swider is around the hoop. He isn't just a stationary jump shooter.

This is the thing people are missing with Cole.

The priority was to ensure we had enough forwards.

Looking forward to you showing us who is still available in the portal on Thursday.
Lol yeah with how JB plays rotations we only needed 2.
But we can’t wait for Quincy’s decision till July when he is announcing a new school in May.

When I can access the portal I’ll get back to you. But you are totally right we could never find another forward if we weren’t patient.
Oh wait Quincy already made his decision.

I think people are going to be really surprised when they see how effective Swider is around the hoop. He isn't just a stationary jump shooter.
Based on what though? Haven’t seen any statistics or film that show otherwise.

Lol yeah with how JB plays rotations we only needed 2.
But we can’t wait for Quincy’s decision till July when he is announcing a new school in May.

When I can access the portal I’ll get back to you. But you are totally right we could never find another forward if we weren’t patient.
Oh wait Quincy already made his decision.

you act like everyone knew he’d make a decision in May. In fact he hasn’t made his pro or college decision that I’ve seen. Maybe he’ll announce that on Thursday too. But crystal balls aren’t a thing to rely on.

For people who claim like advanced statistics:
Guerrier had an offensive rating of 117. Swider had an offensive rating of 123.
Guerrier had a defensive rating of 101.2. Swider had a defensive rating of 102.7.
Swider had a Box Plus Minus of 6.9. Quincy had a Box Plus minus of 3.7.
Swider had a PER of 15.6 Guerrier had a PER of 20.9.
Again Swider only played about 20mpg. He has career 40mpg stats of 13 and 6.
Quincy has per 40 mpg stats of 15 and 10.
Quincy has the clear edge in rebounding, but from a pure efficiency standpoint on offense Swider has a better career effective fg%, higher assist rate, and lower turnover%.

Last edited:
Would be lovely to have an upgrade at the forward spot to replace a guy who spent plenty of 2020/2021 as a walking double double.

Hopefully Swider does prove to be that. We will need another knock down shooter because all our offensive rebounders have left the building.

you act like everyone knew he’d make a decision in May. In fact he hasn’t made his pro or college decision that I’ve seen. Maybe he’ll announce that on Thursday too. But crystal balls aren’t a thing to rely on.
Ok.
When CJ Fair declares we didn’t go out and find a replacement.
He didn’t announce he was coming back till the last possible moment.

But okay.
Everything signals he is going to another school but play the possible he may not play college hoops card because then we made the correct decision.
What is amazing is Quincy and Alan both left the team and none of the forwards on the bench last year have remained on the team.

We have brought in 3 new forwards.
No depth behind them.
For people who claim like advanced statistics:
Guerrier had an offensive rating of 117. Swider had an offensive rating of 123.
Guerrier had a defensive rating of 101.2. Swider had a defensive rating of 102.7.
Guerrier had a Box Plus Minus of 6.9. Quincy had a Box Plus minus of 3.7.
Swider had a PER of 15.6 Guerrier had a PER of 20.9.
Again Swider only played about 20mpg. He has career 40mpg stats of 13 and 6.
Quincy has per 40 mpg stats of 15 and 10.
Quincy has the clear edge in rebounding, but from a pure efficiency standpoint on offense Swider has a better career effective fg%, higher assist rate, and lower turnover%.
i don’t see Swider as the problem.
I see the departure of Quincy as a problem within our program.
We shouldn’t be losing players like Quincy to other schools.
If he wants to go pro then good luck but losing him to another school is an issue.
I think Swider is a fine player.

Because we play short rotations it kills depth.
Players don’t want to sit.
The issue is our HC won’t change it up.
We had players on the bench this year transfer to Seton Hall and Oklahoma State. Typically our transfers go down a level.
That didn’t happen this time and still people won’t admit the roster management is an issue.
I like Benny and Swider.
I hope based on past precedent they both get 30+ MPG.
If they do then the HC is consistent.
Until I see I won’t believe it

This is the thing people are missing with Cole.
Well that's probably what happens when he takes 1.1 shots from inside the arc per game wouldn't ya say?

Ok.
When CJ Fair declares we didn’t go out and find a replacement.
He didn’t announce he was coming back till the last possible moment.

But okay.
Everything signals he is going to another school but play the possible he may not play college hoops card because then we made the correct decision.
What is amazing is Quincy and Alan both left the team and none of the forwards on the bench last year have remained on the team.

We have brought in 3 new forwards.
No depth behind them.

i don’t see Swider as the problem.
I see the departure of Quincy as a problem within our program.
We shouldn’t be losing players like Quincy to other schools.
If he wants to go pro then good luck but losing him to another school is an issue.
I think Swider is a fine player.

Because we play short rotations it kills depth.
Players don’t want to sit.
The issue is our HC won’t change it up.
We had players on the bench this year transfer to Seton Hall and Oklahoma State. Typically our transfers go down a level.
That didn’t happen this time and still people won’t admit the roster management is an issue.
I like Benny and Swider.
I hope based on past precedent they both get 30+ MPG.
If they do then the HC is consistent.
Until I see I won’t believe it

I posted that because there seems to be some posters who don’t think Swider is that’s good and others seem to be ignoring the addition of Benny. I don’t agree with JB’s overall roster management, but JB’s short rotation hurts us going deeper than 3 at any position. If we don’t go after Swider or Jimmy I do think Quincy comes back.

Based on what though? Haven’t seen any statistics or film that show otherwise.

In 19-20 Cole shot 62 pct from 2. If you watch his games which I have found quite a few through digging - while his volume isn't high given Nova's offense he is very capable around the rim and uses both hands.

In 20-21 his 2 pt pct dropped to 50 pct but he also went from his shooting going from 66 pct 3s to 75 pct. Nova lost Saddiq Bey to the draft and did not have a replacement for their highest volume 3pt shooter from 19-20. Thus you add even more perimeter focus to the returning guys.

I saw more long 2s from Cole in 20-21 tape which I would chalk up to Novas offense and also hope are reduced and would expect as much. He can get a bucket around the rim and has good footwork and a good touch- more of that paired with his expertise from 3 and it's the ideal scenario and very much still wheelhouse.

This is some serious Dino believe without evidence stuff. He's played 77 college bball games so far in his career and has made a grand total of 0.8 shots per game inside of the arc. So I guess if he makes 2 buckets in there then we should all be really surprised because he will have nearly tripled what he has done previously.

If we allowed Q to set where he was going to play then we should have offered him "the coach in waiting" title as well. Players need to know there limitations, most think they can do anything anytime.
I'm not the biggest JB fan, but he was right on this one for sure, Q doesn't have the shot to play outside. I'd add, I hope he can develop that ability, as I do believe I can understand his frustration, and we all know he needs to shoot at the next level, or there is no next level for him, save Europe.

Well that's probably what happens when he takes 1.1 shots from inside the arc per game wouldn't ya say?

Well the kid played less than 20 a game. He out up 4 2pt fgs per 40 in 19-20 in a 5 out offense. In our offense it isn't that crazy to think he can get 6 per 40. In 20-21 as I pointed out in my previous post, Nova looked to their returning shooters to replace the loss of Bey. So if he plays 25-30 min a game and gets up 4-5 shots inside the arc at a 60 pct clip that's a few more buckets than most are giving him any credit for that is in his arsenal.

This is some serious Dino believe without evidence stuff. He's played 77 college bball games so far in his career and has made a grand total of 0.8 shots per game inside of the arc. So I guess if he makes 2 buckets in there then we should all be really surprised because he will have nearly tripled what he has done previously.

No it isn't -- I watched him drive to the hole and score with either hand. His body control, up-faking, etc. were effective when he was down low. How many shots he took there -- not sure that's relevant to what I'm saying.

I'm not suggesting that he's Shaq, or that he's going to be a guy we pound the ball inside to -- just that he's capable and showed more affinity for playing in the paint than I expected.

Last edited:
until he withdraws from the nba draft I’m not sure its off the table.
Why would you announce a new school to go to, if you aren't going to go there?

If he really doesn't know now why wouldn't he hold off until he does know. It's only another month and a half. And I don't think a school would want a player in limbo like that.

No it isn't -- I watched him drive to the hole and score with either hand. His body control, up-faking, etc. were effective.

I'm not suggesting that he's Shaq, or that he's going to provide oodles of low post scoring -- just that he can when he gets the ball near the hoop.
Kid made a grand total of 2 shots inside the arc in his last 14 games and only 14 total in 25 games so you must have watched basically every shot that he made last year. His shooting percentage certainly looks excellent from inside but I have no clue how many of those 14 may have been layups or dunks either. Counting on him to have any inside preference seems foolish at this time since 77 games of proof says otherwise and not in a way that is even remotely arguable.

There is a real stick to the narrative thing going on here with the Q vs Cole conversation. The poor roster management, JB is a sell crowd are all in on QGs loss is a major failure of the program and he is being replaced by a couple spare used parts for 10 cents on the dollar. If you are going to argue Cole ain't much to write home about compared to Quincy no matter what is said and before he tosses an Orange uniform on then what's the point?

It's clear that what y'all want is the entire board to say they think SU is mediocre and are ok with it and get aggravated when there is a counter point and go to every length to disprove it... In every thread possible. Furthermore, it's a pro JB, JB apologist who argues against the mediocrity and poor roster management view point regardless. Over and over and over and over again we go through this.

To add- not trying to be an ass. I just am ready to see what this looks like and how things play out. It's May and I feel like we are at the off-season boredom levels of July.

Last edited:
Kid made a grand total of 2 shots inside the arc in his last 14 games and only 14 total in 25 games so you must have watched basically every shot that he made last year. His shooting percentage certainly looks excellent from inside but I have no clue how many of those 14 may have been layups or dunks either. Counting on him to have any inside preference seems foolish at this time since 77 games of proof says otherwise and not in a way that is even remotely arguable.

Again, let me clarify. Does it matter if they're dunks or layups? Point is, when he gets it inside, he has the ability to score with either hand and seems to have decent footwork / timing inside. Him being able to do those things is clearly complimentary to his main offensive talent, which is shooting the ball.

Thanks for calling me "foolish," while misinterpreting the observations I'm passing along. Uncalled for.

Last edited:

If he really doesn't know now why wouldn't he hold off until he does know. It's only another month and a half. And I don't think a school would want a player in limbo like that.
Because he can secure a fallback plan while there are still openings at decent schools?

Rosters are filling up. If he waits until July to decide he's returning to college basketball with no scholarship offer, his choices may be Siena or Eastern Michigan. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

To have a home in case he doesn’t go pro. And I get it. He’s covering his bases just like we did. Now he may have already decided he’s staying in school, but he hasn’t said that nor withdrawn his name.

There is a real stick to the narrative thing going on here with the Q vs Cole conversation. The poor roster management, JB is a sell crowd are all in on QGs loss is a major failure of the program and he is being replaced by a couple spare used parts for 10 cents on the dollar. If you are going to argue Cole ain't much to write home about compared to Quincy no matter what is said and before he tosses an Orange uniform on then what's the point?

It's clear that what y'all want is the entire board to say they think SU is mediocre and are ok with it and get aggravated when there is a counter point and go to every length to disprove it... In every thread possible. Furthermore, it's a pro JB, JB apologist who argues against the mediocrity and poor roster management view point regardless. Over and over and over and over again we go through this.
Fair summary.
It’s really the narratives and JB does no wrong crew that has my frustration.
I see the program isn’t what it used and I am okay with that.
It’s the arrogance of the mindset we are still Syracuse that has me frustrated.
The no wrong crew can’t admit what the eyes show.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom