Rak | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rak

SU needs Christmas' threat to score. Yes, he played poorly tonight, but Boeheim didn't need to blame him in the media for the BC game. It's clear that Rak doesn't respond to that type of coaching. Let's hope this week can get him back on track

That is kind of my whole point. Whenever he gets the 2 minute or under hook it puts him in the tank for the rest of the game. You would think Boeheim would realize that he doesn't respond well to that, but it's never going to change. Admittedly he was brutal tonight, but at least when he is out there he is a threat to score. He has shown great signs of progression until the last couple games Baye returned. Baye played a very good game, but he played 30 minutes and had 2 points on 2 shots.

Rak has to stop getting silly fouls trying to establish offensive position. If he was a good offensive center, I could see it. He's not.

Rak has to stop getting silly fouls trying to establish offensive position. If he was a good offensive center, I could see it. He's not.

Those were both very questionable calls. At least he is occupying a man trying to be an offensive threat. With BMK we are 4 on 5 the entire time he is out there...tonight, which was 30 minutes. We aren't good enough on offense to play like that for long stretches.

So Baye is back for 1 game and Rak is already relegated back to the 1 mistake and a quick hook? Total BS. I really don't get this strategy? I can kind of understand with the quick hooks for Freshman, but Rak has been getting this treatment for 3 years now. I think it's clear as day that Rak is the far better center at this point of their careers. Nothing against Baye because he plays hard and is an extremely valuable back up, but he is just that a reserve. If we are going to reach our potential it's going to be with Rak at center playing 30 minutes a game. I can understand how the kid plays tight at times. He knows if he makes 1 mistake, or sometimes not even a mistake he will get a quick hook, but yet Baye can form tackle, and airball 3 feet layups all day long. You have to have some freedom to make mistakes, which Rak doesn't have. I just don't get it.

End rant
We need Xmas but he has to stop piling up silly fouls. This was a very strange officiated game tonight but the players must adjust. The bench is too short especially with Keita just coming back and now Grant injured. The team is shakey but still winning some how. Possibly Keita gets some calls because he is a senior but it seemed several times tonight he did not get called because he did go straight up for the block. Absolutely need Xmas offense but he has to stop the cheap fouls. Certain this frustrates Jimmy when he has so few players to go to.

Rak has to stop trying to be a poor man's LBJ every time a foul is called on him. Always throwing his arms in the air and giving a what me look of protest. Officials get a little tired of that especially coming from an average player.

Rak has to stop trying to be a poor man's LBJ every time a foul is called on him. Always throwing his arms in the air and giving a what me look of protest. Officials get a little tired of that especially coming from an average player.

I was at the game tonight and Rak definitely was acting out after each call. Refs are like elephants, don't forget and always get the last word particularly if they think you are trying to show them up.

Baye is too limited. We have proof of what Rak can do when he isn't looking over his shoulder. Boeheim gets in his head with the quick hooks. Not sure how he hasn't realized that after 3 years. The games he gets the under 2 minute hook he plays horrible. Baye is a solid back up, but we need Rak playing big minutes if we want to win a championship
The proof is that he didn't play well tonight and got stupid fouls and spent his time whining to the refs. How the heck do you blame anyone but him?
Without Baye, Rak's foul trouble at Duke would have been a blowout for Duke. For once take the blinders off and just give Keita credit. He has earned time and again. Thats what back-ups are for, especially since Rak has not come close to proving he can be your great savior on anything close to a consistent basis. Thats with or without Keita. A little rest for Rak may go a long way. 3 games in 17 days is exactly what the doctor ordered. They are running on empty both physically and mentally right now.

Baye the way we are 26-2. Thats with Rak having only a few great games. We should be grateful we have two centers, that combined are far superior to what most teams have.

Those were both very questionable calls. At least he is occupying a man trying to be an offensive threat. With BMK we are 4 on 5 the entire time he is out there...tonight, which was 30 minutes. We aren't good enough on offense to play like that for long stretches.
He sets picks, gets offensive rebounds. Since when is that not a very good contribution. I have yet to see the play where on one possession every member of the team scores. With your logic that means 4 other players were useless during that play. It just doesn't work that way.

Was it just me, or were Rak's offensive fouls in posting up total BS? He kept sealing off the defender w/ good positioning... nothing he's done different in any other game.

Was it just me, or were Rak's offensive fouls in posting up total BS? He kept sealing off the defender w/ good positioning... nothing he's done different in any other game.
Not just you. The refs seemed to want to make a statement early and often that Greene and the other good ole southern gentlemen were not the only cheating incompetent officials in the south. To their credit they did a marvelous job with that.

What I don't get, it looks like Rak gets a phantom foul called on him and JB goes nuts on him. BMK makes a blatant dumb foul and JB is calm. I don't get it.

That said BMK came up huge tonight. Glad to see it.

So Baye is back for 1 game and Rak is already relegated back to the 1 mistake and a quick hook? Total BS. I really don't get this strategy? I can kind of understand with the quick hooks for Freshman, but Rak has been getting this treatment for 3 years now. I think it's clear as day that Rak is the far better center at this point of their careers. Nothing against Baye because he plays hard and is an extremely valuable back up, but he is just that a reserve. If we are going to reach our potential it's going to be with Rak at center playing 30 minutes a game. I can understand how the kid plays tight at times. He knows if he makes 1 mistake, or sometimes not even a mistake he will get a quick hook, but yet Baye can form tackle, and airball 3 feet layups all day long. You have to have some freedom to make mistakes, which Rak doesn't have. I just don't get it.

End rant
Just read this. I'm sure Gene Waldron feels RAK's pain. I think Gene was looking towards the bench as he walked on the court sometimes. I still smile when I think of his Carrier Classic performance. ;)

Have to give Rak some of the blame here as well the last couple of games. When Baye was out, he was more careful not to foul. With Baye back, perhaps he feels he can be more aggressive since he has a backup. That's good news in some ways but it's also led him to go back to taking too many bad fouls, relegating him to the bench. Of course, poor reffing in those games did not help his cause either.

Change the date back 3 weeks and we'll see this same thread. Face it, we are better when both centers are available. Rac got into foul trouble last night and Baye saved his ass (trust me, had Rac stayed in MD would of fouled him out before the 12 min time out in the second half)...JB tried going with two bigs and it didn't work. MG played really well!!!! Roberson, not so great...

It's pretty simple;

Rak is better offensively (though he's still not that good)
BMK is better and more consistent defensively

Unless Rak starts off hot from the field, it's perfectly understandable why BMK gets in so quick. JB trusts him on defense more than he trusts Rak and he doesn't make as many mistakes on the defensive end.

not a great line for rax tonite. seems to be a bit sulky after calls.

It seems like the refs are in his head and the arm actions show that. Just has to keep on plugging and playing hard.

What I don't get, it looks like Rak gets a phantom foul called on him and JB goes nuts on him. BMK makes a blatant dumb foul and JB is calm. I don't get it.

That said BMK came up huge tonight. Glad to see it.

I've seen Boeheim all over Baye as well and there might be some means to the madness. Baye has had two very good games in a row and it's nice to have him back.

Last edited:
Baye's ability on defense more than neutralize any offensive deficiencies. JB has said that Baye may be the best communicator he's ever had at center on defense. In his zone, that's a very big deal.

You'd swear to god reading threads like this that Rakeem is one of the worst defensive players on the team.

Honestly. I didn't get to see the game last night due to user error on the DVR, but the mood certainly has turned on Rak in this place.

It's pretty simple;

Rak is better offensively (though he's still not that good)
BMK is better and more consistent defensively

Unless Rak starts off hot from the field, it's perfectly understandable why BMK gets in so quick. JB trusts him on defense more than he trusts Rak and he doesn't make as many mistakes on the defensive end.

Rak is MUCH better offensively.
BMK is better (but not that much better in my view) defensively.
Rak is MUCH better on the boards - both ways.

You'd swear to god reading threads like this that Rakeem is one of the worst defensive players on the team.

He needs to stay on the floor and stop committing silly fouls. I dont care if they are "perceived" as bad calls. Its a pattern when these "bad calls" keep happening.

Good observation.

Paul Harris and Michael Carter-Williams played that game; a lot of officials remember that display and won't give the player the benefit of the doubt on the next foul.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SYRtoBOS

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom