Rank the following wide receivers... | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rank the following wide receivers...

Rank the Tight Ends. Off the top of my head, Tony G, Jason Witten. Who else goes in this list??

jimmy graham
gronkowski
antonio gates
could make an argument for hernandez

One game? With his head on straight , it's Randy Moss. No one could dominate one game like him.

Two games or more? Jerry Rice.

Regardless of their physical skills and talent, at too many points in their careers both Moss and TO were cancers in a locker room and more of a detriment to a team in comparison to what they provided on the field. When either were available, I was always glad to have the Broncos take a pass on them. That has to factor in where they rank overall - both would hover around 10 in my top 10...

I'd take Marvin Harrison over Terrell Owens.
Jus' sayin'

Regardless of their physical skills and talent, at too many points in their careers both Moss and TO were cancers in a locker room and more of a detriment to a team in comparison to what they provided on the field. When either were available, I was always glad to have the Broncos take a pass on them. That has to factor in where they rank overall - both would hover around 10 in my top 10...

Wow - you're saying there are 9 receivers that you would take over Moss and TO in a "1-game, all other things being equal" scenario?

Wow - you're saying there are 9 receivers that you would take over Moss and TO in a "1-game, all other things being equal" scenario?
Probably, since I wouldn't have either on my team, even for that one game... :)

Rank the Tight Ends. Off the top of my head, Tony G, Jason Witten. Who else goes in this list??
Ozzie Newsome
Todd Christenson
Mark Bavaro
John Mackey
Kellen Winslow Sr.
Antonio Gates

One game? With his head on straight , it's Randy Moss. No one could dominate one game like him.

Two games or more? Jerry Rice.
Did you not just see what Johnson did on Sunday?

Just my personal opinion (this is outside of the 1-game in their prime question)... I think Michael Irvin is slightly overrated. He was a great WR, no doubt, but he's tied for 46th all-time in career touchdown receptions.

His stats suffer in the same way that Aikman's do. Meaning he played on a predominately running team with the league's all time leading rusher.

Who knows what his numbers could have been had he played in a throwing system? If had played with the Bills and Jim Kelly I would wager his numbers would have been at least equal to what Andre Reed put up.

One game list (assuming @ peak of prime and behavioral issues in check)

Moss
Rice
Johnson
Fitzgerald
Harrison
Burress

All other things being equal, if you had to win 1 game, in what order would you take the following four receivers in their prime?

Calvin Johnson
Randy Moss
Terrell Owens
Jerry Rice

Have to include Marvin Harrison in that list.

Actually John Mackey did that.
Maybe in different ways I suppose. I don't claim to know enough about Mackey. I'm going by what other HOF's said as well as having seen almost every game he played in and half of them in person. When he retired, he was widely considered the best TE in NFL history.

Larry Fitzgerald is the most underrated wide out in the league. He'd be with the likes of Steve Smith, Andre and Calvin Johnson, reggie wayne ETC.

If he just had a damn quarterback!!!

Shannon Sharpe revolutionized the TE position.
How so? The same was said about a lot of the guys on my list, btw (Mackey, Newsome, Gates - particularly Mackey). But, it was an oversight on my part that I left Sharpe off.

Maybe in different ways I suppose. I don't claim to know enough about Mackey. I'm going by what other HOF's said as well as having seen almost every game he played in and half of them in person. When he retired, he was widely considered the best TE in NFL history.

I would say that Kellen Winslow was a better TE or "changed the game" in the way SS supposedly did.

Mackey was really the first TE who used great speed along with great power.

He was truly dynamic. The best of all time in my opinion.

Of 2013-2014 NFL Receivers (If they were all given a manning like QB):
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Desean Jackson
5. Dez Bryant
6. Aj Green
7. Steve Smith
8. D. Thomas
9. Wes Welker
10. Reggie Wayne/Andre Johnson

How so? The same was said about a lot of the guys on my list, btw (Mackey, Newsome, Gates - particularly Mackey). But, it was an oversight on my part that I left Sharpe off.
This might come across as a little cliche, but he was a matchup nightmare. You couldn't cover him with any safety in the league(too physical), you couldn't cover him with a LB (too fast). Although there were other receiving TE's before him, he became the ultimate TE receiving threat. D coordinators had to game plan around him. He had to be double teamed.
He was the most physical TE to ever play. He literally looked like the incredible hulk and used it to the fullest. He had 3% body fat, and was gracing the covers of Mens fitness magazines as well as the nfl ones. He as to his own admittance, didn't know how to block when he first came in the league. He learned really fast and then had a rep of being a "slobberknocker". Did you know that only Rice, Carter and Andre Reed had more consecutive seasons of 50 catches or more? Yeah, wr's.
There are articles written with other HOF's saying he was the best TE they'd ever seen. Here's an interesting one, and yeah I know the guy is an unabashed Sharpe fan, but he has a lot of facts to back it up;
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/muhammad-ali-hasan/shannon-sharpe-the-best-b_b_754948.html

Of 2013-2014 NFL Receivers (If they were all given a manning like QB):
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Brandon Marshall
3. Larry Fitzgerald
4. Desean Jackson
5. Dez Bryant
6. Aj Green
7. Steve Smith
8. D. Thomas
9. Wes Welker
10. Reggie Wayne/Andre Johnson
There is not a chance in hell Desean Jackson/Larry Fitz are better than Dez Bryant. Calvin and Dez are 1A and 1B.