Rank your top 10 players of the JB Era. | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rank your top 10 players of the JB Era.

I'm only including players from when I was accepted until now, which also happens to be the post-probation era:

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. John Wallace
3. Gerry McNamara/Hakim Warrick
5. Lawrence Moten
6. Jason Hart
7. Otis Hill
8. Wes Johnson
9. Etan Thomas
10. Dion Waiters

Coleman
Carmelo
Pearl
Owens
Douglas
Wallace
Moten
Warrick
Thompson
McNamara/Addison - I cheated and called it a tie because I couldn't decide!

On a side note, it still somewhat surprises me to see Shumpert at #8 on our all time scoring list. I always liked Preston and loved his shooting but him being that high always seems strange to me, especially since he didn't play as much as some others on the list his freshman and sophomore years.

1. Derrick Coleman
2. Billy Owens
3. Carmelo Anthony
4. Sherman Douglas
5. Pearl Washington
6. John Wallace
7. Lawrence Moten
8. Hakim Warrick
9. Rony Seikaly
10. Stevie Thompson

Very cool post, to put it out so far through 30 players.

One thing that surprises me looking at everybody's list is that none of them include Adrian Autry, who had about as good of a senior year as just about anybody we've ever had.

It's interesting to read through the rationalizations, especially about players I never got to see (or only did quickly here and there in the NCAA's), like Autry, Moten, Shumpert, Griffin. Saw a lot of the Pearl-Sherm-Seikaly teams in the fabulous mid 80's BE, the '87 final, then not much made it on the tube out here until the '96 run, which was the first and only look I had of that team. Dried up again until the 2003 NCAA's. Hit or miss over the next several, but recently a lot more games via steaming on the 'net. It's not easy being a loyal fan this way. Allow me to say I was never more proud to be an SU hoops fan than I was watching that '96 team. :)

Last edited:
I'm going to rank my guys starting with the Championship year (the year I went to my first game):

1. Carmelo - pretty obvious given the time period
2. Warrick - his 4 years outweigh the one great year of Wes
3. Wes Johnson - Only got one year of him, but he was one of the best players in the country
4. Gerry - 4 really good years, obviously a big part of the title team; probably the guy I think of most when I think of Syracuse
5. MCW - my personal favorite player since I began watching the team; as good a defender at the top of the zone as I've ever seen and a really gifted passer. I'll never forget the performance against Indiana
6. Devendorf - 4 good years; not much else to say
7. Fab - Only one good year out of him, but he was the best defensive player I've ever seen while being an underrated offensive player due to his hustle in transition and his DeAndre Jordan-esq offensive mindset; almost never tried to do too much
8. Rick Jackson - One good year, and one really great year.
9. Paul Harris - Weird player to judge; probably a disappointment, but was still an efficient scorer, amazing rebounder for his size, and a very disruptive defender
10. Dion Waiters - Had a good year for us; he was probably better than I'll admit. Still hated him though.

This in definitely a more challenging exercise than the longer period, and I think the answers will be much more varied.

I think 1 and 2 have to be Melo and Hak.

I'm a GMac skeptic, but I think he still has to be #3 over the last 15 or so year. Anyone you put above him just is not going to compare.

Then I'd go:

1. Melo
  2. Warrick
  3. GMac
  4. MCW
  5. CJ Fair (his junior year was awesome, and he had three other good-to-very good years)
  6. Jonny Flynn
  7. Demetris Nichols
  8. Wes Johnson
  9. Dion Waiters
  10. Kris Joseph (I went back and forth between he, Gbinje, and Rautins. I put KJo because he made a significant impact for four years).

1. DC - The Man, The Myth, The Legend. No explanation necessary but for S & G he graduated as the leading scorer and leading rebounder in the history of the program. Averaged 18 and 12 his senior season and 15 and 11 over his career. If it wasn't for Keith Smart what could have been.
2. Pearl - And on the 8th day God created the Pearl. Can't be overstated what he did for Syracuse basketball in the 80's. A huge part of putting Syracuse on the national scene and the awesome three decades + of basketball that have followed. No need to post statistics for this legend.
3. Billy Owens - Feel bad for those who didn't see him play/don't remember him. He was the 6'8" do-it-all before those guys were invented and he was that good. First guy to average 20+ points under Boeheim and in his junior year had a 23 ppg, 12 rpg, and 4 apg line while being one of very few 1st team All-Americans under JB.
4. The General - The greatest pure point guard in Syracuse history no matter the era. All-time leader in assists at SU. If you take out his Freshman year when he played sparingly behind the Pearl he averaged 17.2 ppg and 8.1 apg in his other 3 years. Those teams were dominant and so much fun to watch. The through the legs football style pass is forever burned in my memory.
5. Melo - 2003. Nuff said.
6. Lawrence "Poetry in Moten" - All-Time leading scorer in Syracuse History. Averaged 19 ppg on his career. A 3-time 1st Team All Big East Selection (rare accomplishment).
7. John Wallace - 3rd in All-Time scoring and 3rd in All-Time rebounding during his career. 4-year starter (probably never gonna see that happen again). Stayed for his Senior year and took the program on his back to a Cinderella Final Four apperance while averaging 22 ppg and 9 rpg on the season.
8. Rosie Bouie - My first legit memories of the Cuse at Manley and the Louie and Bouie Show. Boeheim credits Bouie and Orr choosing to come to Syracuse as one of the first big steps under his watch in building the program into a national contender. A true low post player who averaged 13 and 9 throughout his career while shooting 59% from the field.
9. Hakim Warrick - One of only 3 guys with 2,000+ points and 1,000+ rebounds in SU history. Averaged 20 and 9 in his last two seasons combined. Oh, and the block against KU which preserved our only National Championship (that shot was going in).
10. (tie) GMAC, Stevie Thompson, Louie Orr, Rafael Addison, Erich Santifer, Leo Rautins, Rony Seikaly, CJ Fair, Etan Thomas - I know the majority would have GMAC on the team and I have no argument with them but I couldn't leave some of these other guys off so I have a logjam at 10.

Nice exercise which made me think about 40+ years of fandom. We've had a lot of great players and games. Some of our rosters in the 80's were NBA caliber talent (how sweet it was before one and dones). This made me smile and feel real good about the program and my fandom despite this season's disappointments. Go Cuse!! Forever Orange!!!!!

1. DC - The Man, The Myth, The Legend. No explanation necessary but for S & G he graduated as the leading scorer and leading rebounder in the history of the program. Averaged 18 and 12 his senior season and 15 and 11 over his career. If it wasn't for Keith Smart what could have been.
2. Pearl - And on the 8th day God created the Pearl. Can't be overstated what he did for Syracuse basketball in the 80's. A huge part of putting Syracuse on the national scene and the awesome three decades + of basketball that have followed. No need to post statistics for this legend.
3. Billy Owens - Feel bad for those who didn't see him play/don't remember him. He was the 6'8" do-it-all before those guys were invented and he was that good. First guy to average 20+ points under Boeheim and in his junior year had a 23 ppg, 12 rpg, and 4 apg line while being one of very few 1st team All-Americans under JB.
4. The General - The greatest pure point guard in Syracuse history no matter the era. All-time leader in assists at SU. If you take out his Freshman year when he played sparingly behind the Pearl he averaged 17.2 ppg and 8.1 apg in his other 3 years. Those teams were dominant and so much fun to watch. The through the legs football style pass is forever burned in my memory.
5. Melo - 2003. Nuff said.
6. Lawrence "Poetry in Moten" - All-Time leading scorer in Syracuse History. Averaged 19 ppg on his career. A 3-time 1st Team All Big East Selection (rare accomplishment).
7. John Wallace - 3rd in All-Time scoring and 3rd in All-Time rebounding during his career. 4-year starter (probably never gonna see that happen again). Stayed for his Senior year and took the program on his back to a Cinderella Final Four apperance while averaging 22 ppg and 9 rpg on the season.
8. Rosie Bouie - My first legit memories of the Cuse at Manley and the Louie and Bouie Show. Boeheim credits Bouie and Orr choosing to come to Syracuse as one of the first big steps under his watch in building the program into a national contender. A true low post player who averaged 13 and 9 throughout his career while shooting 59% from the field.
9. Hakim Warrick - One of only 3 guys with 2,000+ points and 1,000+ rebounds in SU history. Averaged 20 and 9 in his last two seasons combined. Oh, and the block against KU which preserved our only National Championship (that shot was going in).
10. (tie) GMAC, Stevie Thompson, Louie Orr, Rafael Addison, Erich Santifer, Leo Rautins, Rony Seikaly, CJ Fair, Etan Thomas - I know the majority would have GMAC on the team and I have no argument with them but I couldn't leave some of these other guys off so I have a logjam at 10.

Nice exercise which made me think about 40+ years of fandom. We've had a lot of great players and games. Some of our rosters in the 80's were NBA caliber talent (how sweet it was before one and dones). This made me smile and feel real good about the program and my fandom despite this season's disappointments. Go Cuse!! Forever Orange!!!!!

Wow and I thought I was pushing it having 2 guys tied at 10. :) But nice list!

I am ranking these very simply in order of who I have gotten the most pleasure out of watching play for Syracuse...

1. Derrick Coleman
2. Gerry MacNamara
3. Hakim Warrick
4. Carmelo Anthony
5. Sherman Douglas
6. Pearl Washington
7. Rony Seikaly
8. Stephen Thompson
9. John Wallace
10. Roosevelt Bouie

Honorable mention: Lawrence Moten, Billy Owens

1.bouie
2.orr
3. pearl
4.coleman
5. stevie t.
6.douglas
7.owens
8.wallace
9.moten
10. anthony

Question for the thread: who would you put higher GMac or Scott McCorkle?
I'm just starting to read this thread and haven't thought about my top ten yet, but I'm shocked at the lack of love for GMAC. That being said, I was never a GMAC guy, but in retrospect he accomplished a lot in his four years here (and the key is that he played here for four years). And the best part of this thread is that the OP said that you can use any criteria you want. I'm just a little shocked.

I remember when Warrick was described as a "Damone Brown like player."

Warrick obviously turned into a better player, but being compared to Damone (as a player, not as a money launderer for a Buffalo cocaine ring) isn't the worst thing. They have the same exact bodies and Damone was an all-Big East player as a senior.

We've had an embarrassment of riches, the "honorable mentions" would be considered program changers for over 75% of the college basketball league.
I love your style man.

1. Melo
2. Coleman
3. The General
4. Wallace
5. Pearl
6. Owens
7. Poetry
8.Gmac
9. Hak
10. Thompson

I don't disagree with most that Coleman had the best aggregate impact/career but with Melo's results in his one year ('ship) and his subsequent validation of his skills in the league, I have to put him better than DC

Also, A "post Gmac" list would probably be a great thread as well? We have had some GREAT players since then, but they neither had the longevity of earlier players nor the success of our (and everyone else's) greatest 1 and done.

Last edited:
I struggle with where to put Moten. He was consistently very good throughout his career, but never at any point in his 4 years at SU did he feel like a truly "great" player to me. There was that one regular season game against Villanova where he made a game-winning three towards the end, but other than that, I personally can't recall any other "iconic" moments for him.

Warrick obviously turned into a better player, but being compared to Damone (as a player, not as a money launderer for a Buffalo cocaine ring) isn't the worst thing. They have the same exact bodies and Damone was an all-Big East player as a senior.

It's not a knock on Brown. It's a statement to where Warrick finished compared to coming in.

Posted this is a different thread last year. Still holds.

1. Coleman - Generational talent. Immediate impact from the moment he stepped on the court as a freshman. Considered "disappointing pro" though he averaged 16.5 and 9 (which proves what kind of player he actually was).
2. Pearl - Put Cuse on the map nationally. Impact on Big East and SU can't be overstated.
3. Douglas - Finished career as NCAA all-time assist leader and all time SU scoring leader.
4. Anthony - Hardware; tourney MOP as a freshman.
5. Bing - Before my time, but HOF carries signifcant weight.
6. Owens - No clue how anyone can dog him. One of most complete players in Syracuse history. 13/7/3 as a freshman with team that included Douglas, Thompson and Coleman. All-American and Big East POY as a junior with 23/11.6/3.3 and shot close to 40% from deep. Baller.
7. Seikaly - Developed from raw project to dominant big man. Owned Duane Schintzius and JR Reid ni '87 tournament with two huge (and crucial) performances. Finished career as 2nd all time rebounder and 4th leading scorer for the Orange.
8. Wallace - Huge commit when Syracuse was coming off of NCAA probation. Carried Cuse to 1997 NCAA finals. Pass to Cippola and game winner against UGA serve as two all time iconic Cuse moments. 22 and 9 as a senior ranks as one of best single years for player in Cuse history. "Starred" as Lonnie alongside former Cuse great, Jim Brown, in Spike Lee's immortal "He Got Game."
9. GMac - Six 3s in first half of National Champ game gave Cuse big breathing room to work with. Owned NYC in 2006 with greatest BE Title run in history (FOH with Kemba Walker). Two Time BE First Team player. Underrated. Onions.
10. Moten - Can't leave off all time BE Scoring Leader.

Best players of the JB era is a really, really difficult task. If I had to do it, I'd go with a list that looks a lot like this one above. It's heavily weighted with late 80s guys and I'd put Sherm really high b/c JB's best teams are PG driven and we haven't had a better PG than Sherm (even though Pearl was the 'better' player, IMO). For me it's:
1 -- DC (I think it's really hard for people 30 years later to remember just how unbelievably talented he was.
2 -- Melo (Won a title and I always felt he was an incredibly smart player. Truly understood how to kill you inside and out)
3 -- Sherm (true PG, engine that made those best teams go).
4 -- Pearl (defined the swagger that was SU hoops for a long time. put program on the map and a true legend in hoops/NYC bball)
5 -- Bing (never saw him play but obviously a stud and I think there is a slight gap between those top 3 and the rest of the guys we're discussing)
6 -- Owens (numbers are unreal and he was a better pure athlete than Wallace, IMO)
7 -- Wallace (Title run was huge, came at a key time and was just so productive. Made the game look so easy and had phenomenal numbers)
8 -- Thompson (really productive player who was exciting to watch)
9 -- Moten (tough to rank b/c he wasn't overly athletic, but a pure scorer, which is really valuable)
10 -- Warrick (Hard to leave Ronny off but Hak was a BE POY who got better every year and had a better peak than Seikaly. Also won a title.)

HM: Seikaly, GMac, Dave Johnson -- to be fair, never really saw Louie and Bouie or Santifer/Leo Rautins. I also really like some guys like MCW, Waiters, and Ennis but they played in a watered down era and didn't stick around long enough for us to see their true ceilings. Liked Autry a lot but a little disappointing before a phenomenal senior season.

As for teams the past 20 years (just to get more current or recent players involved):
1 -- Melo
2 -- Warrick
3 -- GMac
(I think people underestimate just how heavy a load he carried after the loss of Edelin and the struggles of the Watkins/DNic/Roberts recruiting class. The numbers aren't super exciting but dude hit so many big shots and we won so many games with him)
4 -- Wes Johnson (BE POY -- 16.5 with and 8.5 with two blocks and two steals a game on a dominant team. Nasty)
5 -- Shump (Stud scorer and not a bad rebounder or defender in the zone. Disappointing end to his career)
6 -- Etan Thomas (Excellent defender who put up three really, really solid offensive seasons on teams that were pretty solid)
7 -- Johnny Flynn (One of those guys you would have loved to have for one more year but really productive for two years and was really the guy who created all the offense for that team)
8 -- Waiters (no one other than Melo created his own offense as efficiently as Dion, IMO, and he was a good defensive player too. 12 ppg in 24 mpg is pretty ridiculous)
9 -- MCW (tough to rank b/c the shooting was so ugly, but dude was a nightmare for opponents in the zone (3 steals/game), passed the ball exceptionally well and led a final four run with four big 3s against Cal, a huge game vs. IU and then a double-double against Marquette. People also forget there was ZERO offense on that team outside of CJ Fair. Grant as a frosh and Rak didn't play and/or struggled and Southerland and Triche were OK, not great)
10 -- CJ Fair (really, really, really good complimentary player. Struggled a bit as the main guy.)
Honorable mentions: Tyler Ennis (disappointing end to a season that was pretty amazing really. 14-4 in the ACC and Ennis was a huge part. Would have loved to have him for more time). Gbinije (Feel like he could be ranked higher and had to play out of position as a PG, but he was a nice player who put together a huge season to lead us to the final four), J-Hart (just struggled offensively and his defense was a bit under-utilized in the zone), Fab (really nice year and would rank highly on the list if he came back as a junior but that with all his other issues made him tough to rank), Grant (would be there if he had one more year), Lydon (would be there with one more year), Nichols (loved his senior season but really struggled for three years when they desperately could have used him), RJ, Scoop, KJ (wish he had been more effective inside the 3-point line his final two years), Devendorf (White may have been only better shooter than I can remember), Andrew White (Really impressive season but hard to look at 19-15 or whatever and feel like he had more of an impact than the guys above), Todd Burgan, Billy Edelin (what could have been?), Rak (Just got nothing until that phenomenal senior year)

All Under-Rated team (Last 20 years)
1. Andy Rautins
(I'd sign up for four years of him right now -- loved how aggressively he played the top of the zone)
2. Josh Pace (I could actually make an argument for him on the previous list. Super versatile and super efficient.)
3. RJ (Excellent junior/senior seasons and really surprisingly good sophomore year)
4. Damone Brown (improved every year, great senior season)
5. Scoop (drove people crazy at times but put up good numbers on teams that won a TON of games)
6. Allen Griffin (did whatever was asked and battled back from a tough junior year)
7. Kueth Duany (excellent complimentary piece -- big role on title team)

Not based solely on talent but also impact on the program:

1. Carmelo Anthony
2. D. Coleman
3. Pearl
4. John Wallace
5. Sherman Douglas
6. Billy Owens
7. GMac (not on talent but a super winner - big role in'03 NC, '05 BET, '06 BET)
8. Louie & Bouie (impossible to separate them -- they launched the ship)
9. Warrick
10. Stevie Thompson
Honorable mention: Moten, Seikaly, Wes Johnson, David Johnson.

We've had an embarrassment of riches, the "honorable mentions" would be considered program changers for over 75% of the college basketball league.
It really is amazing when you look at the list of iconic to great to very good players who have come through the program under Boeheim, to say nothing of the guys who came before.

Scoop and Devo ahead of GMac? To each their own and I know this is subjective, but I have to hear your rationale there.

I'd put Devo over Gmac, Devo was a better player in almost every aspect of his game if you're going by strictly skill and I don't think it's even a debate. Gmac hit some amazing shots in amazing spots but he wasn't a great volume shooter and his hero ball got old and stale real quick.

I'd put Devo over Gmac, Devo was a better player in almost every aspect of his game if you're going by strictly skill and I don't think it's even a debate. Gmac hit some amazing shots in amazing spots but he wasn't a great volume shooter and his hero ball got old and stale real quick.

But if we're going strictly by skill, then Dion Waiters has to be ahead of Moten, Stevie Thompson, Pearl, etc. right?

But if we're going strictly by skill, then Dion Waiters has to be ahead of Moten and Stevie Thompson, right?

Again, this is all very very subjective. But yes, Waiters was a better basketball player than the both of them IMO.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom