Rankings...things that make you go hmmm | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rankings...things that make you go hmmm

Polls mean nothing this time of year. Technically they dont matter at any point bit at least later on you will have a better snapshot of who the beat teams teally are as opposed to now when the preseason ranks still play a huge part

Polls mean nothing this time of year. Technically they dont matter at any point bit at least later on you will have a better snapshot of who the beat teams teally are as opposed to now when the preseason ranks still play a huge part
agreed. polls however, are fun.

Get a Roku for about $50 and download the watchespn app. I've had ZERO issues with it. The broadcast is actually in full 1080p and is indistinguishable from a television broadcast...the only downside is having to listen to Rosie Bouie as the color commentator.
I have all the equipment, roku, firestick, etc.

its not a 1080P unless you have a really solid connection and its nothing like watching a tv broadcast. you cant pause it and switch to another game on espn3, rewinding is flaky too.

if you want to stop and watch something else it requires changing the source which is a slow pain.

at work I have gigabit internet speed and still dont always get a great feed, its much worse than watching a netflix feed

Not sure we have a valid complaint. I'd love it if our games were on 'real tv,' but who, aside from alums, is going to tune in to see us demolish Monmouth? If we don't play challenging games, or at least games against not-so-good teams from major conferences, i don't think the ad revenue is there to justify tv. Wish we had been in a Maui/Alaska/MSG/Bahamas game. Duke can get away with playing Grand Canyon and Marist by sticking a Kansas in there... We can't 'legitimize' ourselves by sticking a South Carolina State on the calendar. We are where we probably deserve to be.

There's probably a logjam in the rankings as far as 'true quality' goes, in the 10-20 range, no? I'm not even sure where we fit. Good to see us winning convincingly, where sometimes we play 'down,' but i don't think we're going to get a true sense of who we are until Lydon begins to play at his real level. Everyone else, i can sorta see as being 'fine' — developing, sorting out their games, strengths, limitations. Lydon, though, is the wildcard.

Not sure we have a valid complaint. I'd love it if our games were on 'real tv,' but who, aside from alums, is going to tune in to see us demolish Monmouth? If we don't play challenging games, or at least games against not-so-good teams from major conferences, i don't think the ad revenue is there to justify tv. Wish we had been in a Maui/Alaska/MSG/Bahamas game. Duke can get away with playing Grand Canyon and Marist by sticking a Kansas in there... We can't 'legitimize' ourselves by sticking a South Carolina State on the calendar. We are where we probably deserve to be.

There's probably a logjam in the rankings as far as 'true quality' goes, in the 10-20 range, no? I'm not even sure where we fit. Good to see us winning convincingly, where sometimes we play 'down,' but i don't think we're going to get a true sense of who we are until Lydon begins to play at his real level. Everyone else, i can sorta see as being 'fine' — developing, sorting out their games, strengths, limitations. Lydon, though, is the wildcard.

Agree, but Monmouth may not be a good example. They are solid. That we crushed them says more about us than it does about them.

Agree, but Monmouth may not be a good example. They are solid. That we crushed them says more about us than it does about them.
Sure, but, re: Monmouth, et al —
Seems like we play these types of teams, and JB defends it, saying how good they really are, and that they got into the tournament last year, or that they're expected to win their league... But, if you're a recruit, or a non-Cuse sports fan, or if you're a tv programmer, or if you're voting on the top 25 — i can't expect that our game against Monmouth, etc. really carries any weight. There's 'quality' and then there's the 'optics of quality.' I'd like it if we had some of the optical types if we're not going to get actual, challenging opponents.

I also get frustrated sometimes in this part of the season with the schedule of a bunch of these teams. Don't get me wrong, all the "top" programs have cupcakes scheduled this time of year, but how many? This brings up the old question - "If we played Kentucky and lost by a small margin would that give us more credibility than winning one of the three games we have played thus far?" With all the indexes used out there at the end of the season it's hard to determine if "wins" or 'strength of schedule" is more important. We could probably have a separate forum for those debates. I REALLY WANT TO SEE THIS TEAM CHALLENGED RIGHT NOW TO SEE HOW WE STACK UP.

Footnote - I just checked our schedule and before the ACC starts we only play one team that is currently ranked (Wisconsin).

Last edited:
Looking at the latest BB rankings and was a bit disappointed to see SU hasn't budged upwards given some early wins. I realize the competition hasn't been exactly world beating here but the team has been dominant even when not bringing their best game.

Those of us who watch this team year in and out can tell there is something a bit different with this group. Far too many years SU seems to play down to their opponents but that doesn't seem to be happening early and that is a sign for cautious optimism.

That said, I decided to look at a few other rankings. Turns out SU is fairing much worse in the RPI. Unless I've missed it we aren't even top 100.

Pomeroy on the other hand has us at 8th. In fact,
he has five of the top right teams as ACC squads.

Time will tell with this group but it has been a very fun team to watch and ACC play figures to be brutal this year. Savor this year. They don't come along often.

In the list of considerations for the NCAA tourney, national rankings are waaaaay down the list. Don't sweat the musings of assclown writers and other coaches not named JB.

Ptzburghcuse said:
Looking at the latest BB rankings and was a bit disappointed to see SU hasn't budged upwards given some early wins. I realize the competition hasn't been exactly world beating here but the team has been dominant even when not bringing their best game.

Those of us who watch this team year in and out can tell there is something a bit different with this group. Far too many years SU seems to play down to their opponents but that doesn't seem to be happening early and that is a sign for cautious optimism.

That said, I decided to look at a few other rankings. Turns out SU is fairing much worse in the RPI. Unless I've missed it we aren't even top 100.

Pomeroy on the other hand has us at 8th. In fact,
he has five of the top right teams as ACC squads.

Time will tell with this group but it has been a very fun team to watch and ACC play figures to be brutal this year. Savor this year. They don't come along often.

We are #40 in the RPI

We are #40 in the RPI

I love checking out the rpi this time of year and seeing schools like ark pine bluff, and st marys school for the blind at the top of the rankings.

We have opportunities these next couple weeks. Beat South Carolina, beat Wisconsin, beat UConn, and we're in the 8-12 range.
I agree. Plus, if you look at some of the matchups of teams in front of us during that span. 20Baylor vs. 8Xavier, 10Louisville vs. 17Purdue, 8Arizona vs. 11Gonzaga, 7Virginia vs. 19WVU. And that's not even looking at the top 5 matchups. Teams are gonna fall, and we're gonna swoop in. As for being ranked 18th still, I'm not mad. Me, personally can't say that if this was another team winning the three games we did, I'd be calling for them to have a better ranking. Doesn't really matter though. In the end, if we play like a top 5 team, we'll be a top 5 team by the end of the year

Also, Creighton is only up by two with a little time to go on Ole Miss. I'm surprised, they looked great their last few games. Lets hope they lose

I agree. Plus, if you look at some of the matchups of teams in front of us during that span. 20Baylor vs. 8Xavier, 10Louisville vs. 17Purdue, 8Arizona vs. 11Gonzaga, 7Virginia vs. 19WVU. And that's not even looking at the top 5 matchups. Teams are gonna fall, and we're gonna swoop in. As for being ranked 18th still, I'm not mad. Me, personally can't say that if this was another team winning the three games we did, I'd be calling for them to have a better ranking. Doesn't really matter though. In the end, if we play like a top 5 team, we'll be a top 5 team by the end of the year
Exactly. If we make it through the non-conference undefeated, we'll be top 10 easily.

And Arizona is only up by 3 on Northern Colorado, I've actually never seen this team before in my life hahaha

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom