Class of 2017 - RB C J Holmes (CT) Dismissed from Notre Dame/ Walk on at PSU | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB C J Holmes (CT) Dismissed from Notre Dame/ Walk on at PSU

Maryland also has monopoly money from Under Armour to throw around.

are people sure that this is true? I am not saying it isn't but I haven't seen where UA pumps money into Maryland football like Phil Knight at U of O? Like I said, I don't know

This is an interesting point. I know Maryland is creating a practice facility now, but does anyone see the recruiting success and Chris Beatty as a comment on our facilities? I realize there were other family reasons, but coupled with the Minnesota defections, (family and money were factors forCoyle too) it might be telling us to make sure we look in the mirror. We could and should be doing more with facilities. Here's hoping the Dome renovations do the job of creating money so we can continue to invest in other amenities and facilities.
I really don't know how Syracuse's facilities can be a negative factor at this point. The Dome is a little outdated and not such a wow factor compared to some other stadiums (but this will be changed).

Yet Syracuse DOES have a new practice facility, the appropriate football statues, an updated locker room, the appropriate therapy pools, a Heisman trophy to showcase, Hall of Famers to show off (along with a jacket), a freakin robot to help recruit (for goodness sakes), and is always on the cutting edge when it comes to use of technology.

I don't know what else Syracuse can do to get the best recruits, and we can't get a consensus 4 star with all of that. Sherrod would rather go to Michigan State because, you know, it's not Syracuse. Even though playing time would have been handed to him. And mighty Maryland grabs a 5 *

It's like Syracuse (location) trumps Syracuse (University) every time. I hate to say this but what else can it be? Other programs lack wins and what Syracuse can sell, but no problem grabbing a stud here and there with nothing to show for it.

If this program can somehow begin to win aand and the Dome Reno comes along maybe things will begin to change. It's sad that we have to prove so much compared to other peer programs just to try and break even, but this is the way it's been for the last 18 years (at least).

Heck, even Jim Boeheim doesn't get nearly the # of McDonald's all Americans as peer programs, even given being a Hall of Fame coach at a winning university that draws some of the largest crowds in the country and puts players in the NBA at one of the best clips in the nation. You put SU in South Carolina and we would out recruit Duke easy.

Last edited:
Orijinal said:
I really don't know how Syracuse's facilities can be a negative factor at this point. The Dome is a little outdated and not such a wow factor compared to some other stadiums (but this will be changed). Yet Syracuse DOES have a new practice facility, the appropriate football statues, an updated locker room, the appropriate therapy pools, a Heisman trophy to showcase, Hall of Famers to show off (along with a jacket), a freakin robot to help recruit (for goodness sakes), and is always on the cutting edge when it comes to use of technology. I don't know what else Syracuse can do to get the best recruits, and we can't get a consensus 4 star with all of that. Sherrod would rather go to Michigan State because, you know, it's not Syracuse. Even though playing time would have been handed to him. And mighty Maryland grabs a 5 * It's like Syracuse (location) trumps Syracuse (University) every time. I hate to say this but what else can it be? Other programs lack wins and what Syracuse can sell, but no problem grabbing a stud here and there with nothing to show for it. If this program can somehow begin to win aand and the Dome Reno comes along maybe things will begin to change. It's sad that we have to prove so much compared to other peer programs just to try and break even, but this is the way it's been for the last 18 years (at least). Heck, even Jim Boeheim can't recruit to a peer level, even given being a Hall of Fame coach at a winning university that draws some of the largest crowds in the country. You put SU in South Carolina and we would out recruit Duke easy.

It's about being seen. He's got one year to showcase his ability and thinks the bigger name will get him notoriety. But that assumes he plays. I'd bet at Mich St he's a backup with limited reps.

As to the bigger issue you raise, win. That's it. A track record of winning.

are people sure that this is true? I am not saying it isn't but I haven't seen where UA pumps money into Maryland football like Phil Knight at U of O? Like I said, I don't know

Yes. Very sure. See links above.

The second article Whitey linked is their football practice facility. There are lessons to be learned from that design we should consider for the Dome.

Losing Haskins at the end last year was a big blow to Maryland but there's no reason they shouldn't move up to that perennial top 20-30 range given their new resources & recruiting geography. I'll just never understand how NY is so awful for recruiting when we're surrounded by NJ, PA & OH which are all incredibly fertile.

CJ is picking his school today. Skout said it is down to ND, Tenn, and Bama. He talked about all three yesterday at the opening. If he really wants to break the internet he's set it up correctly. He did mention wanting to play early in his interview... We'll see.

CJ is picking his school today. Skout said it is down to ND, Tenn, and Bama. He talked about all three yesterday at the opening. If he really wants to break the internet he's set it up correctly. He did mention wanting to play early in his interview... We'll see.
The Boneyard has some people with insider access to Connecticut HS football. They are all saying he is ND bound.

I would be really surprised to see him go elsewhere.

Can't fault CJ for choosing ND and if Cuse starts winning under HCDB, we will get our share of 4* recruits.

Bring on Tayon!

Just adds a little bit more fuel to the game at MetLife. We'll be underdogs, but it would be fun to show off an improving O at that game...

Broke the Internet with his ridiculous tweet.

Honestly, good luck to the kid and you can't fault him for choosing a fine institution of higher learning.

Appears there's some maturing that needs to take place, but, that's pretty common with teenagers. That Twitter situation just reaks of, wah, you're ruining my moment so I'll show you.

Regardless, again, best of luck young man.

Well...

Time to beat the Leprechaun.

Ummm...ok, but when you're done, can we get back to discussing CJ Holmes?

He pulled a D*** move and listed us and 3 other schools as his final a few days ago, none of which he had any interest in attending, and then announced for ND today as everyone expected. What more is there to discuss? What brand of sneaker he likes?