RB Cooper Lutz transferring to Vanderbilt | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

RB Cooper Lutz transferring to Vanderbilt

… at least at their current level.

Gotta imagine current/former P5 guys would be welcomed at many G5’s, or FCS at least.

For every Cuse guy who ends up in the MAC, there’s a Jared Verse who ends up at Syracuse.

(Yes, I’m am speaking this into existence).
There's a few guys that will grab G5 offers. Howard- who I believe is a P5 back -:chose an FCS. Harper "may" earn a G5 spot, but getting plenty of FCS offers.

I'd say, that for every Verse? 7 players wind up FCS, or lower.

I would focus on any portal kid with measurables that fit a position of need and have 2-3 years left. Just like hs
2 and 3 stars they are a crap shoot but chances are they will stick with the program. HS kids who become 2nd 3rd string are in many cases going to bolt.
Take 6-10 kids a year from the portal and within a few years the roster will be more stable.

I would focus on any portal kid with measurables that fit a position of need and have 2-3 years left. Just like hs
2 and 3 stars they are a crap shoot but chances are they will stick with the program. HS kids who become 2nd 3rd string are in many cases going to bolt.
Take 6-10 kids a year from the portal and within a few years the roster will be more stable.

yep and will be much easier to retain than those that have not transferred already. It's just an new area of recruiting that will need to be a huge part of day to day activity at this point. This time of year it going to be such a mess moving forward. I do think they will have to make some changes to the portal at some point with more specific dates to keep kids from just entering the portal every day for 3 months

I had a hard time trusting him at RB after that fumble vs. Wake. I got worried whenever I saw him in game for Tuck. Good special teamer though. Returned kicks at end of season but again I was concerned he would fumble.

Who? They were all depth type guys who went portal.

This is going to look like college hoops, familiar faces in different places. (which stinks but that's a different story)

Cantin-Arku was probably going to start at LB next year, and was a big contributor this year.

I'd have to go back and look at all the transfers, but Lutz would have been nice to have next year as the back-up RB.

Didn't we lose Coley from the defensive backfield? We lost a couple linemen, as well.

Cantin-Arku was probably going to start at LB next year, and was a big contributor this year.

Only if Mikel Jones doesn't go NFL.

He's behind Thompson and Wax. He might even be behind Sparrow and McDonald by next Fall.

Was talking to a guy whose kid is being recruited on the D1 level.

The new sense is, commit to the first committable offer that you get because it doesn’t end up where you go because you can always transfer but at least your secured an opportunity

It’s a wild world out there now
That isn't much different from recruiting BTP, Before Transfer Portal. There were kids that would commit early to save a spot and then flipped when a better offer became available. Still going to have that even with the portal.

That isn't much different from recruiting BTP, Before Transfer Portal. There were kids that would commit early to save a spot and then flipped when a better offer became available. Still going to have that even with the portal.

Rutgers knows this truth well

I'd have to go back and look at all the transfers, but Lutz would have been nice to have next year as the back-up RB.

Didn't we lose Coley from the defensive backfield? We lost a couple linemen, as well.

He was a 4th LBer and a special teams guy. Granted guys like that dropping out in mid-season are damaging. If he cannot be replaced by portal, recruits, kids in the class below him that's a problem for sure.

Just could be a difference in what we consider big contributors.

yeahhh, I think we need an RB from the portal now.
Going to be tough to get a decent transfer with Tuck getting 90%+ of the RB touches and a run first QB. Allen will now see snaps as a true freshman and might see a late recruit or PWO.

He was a 4th LBer and a special teams guy. Granted guys like that dropping out in mid-season are damaging. If he cannot be replaced by portal, recruits, kids in the class below him that's a problem for sure.

Mikel Jones may go pro, in which case we just lost a starter, and worst case, one injury and Cantin-Arku would be The Guy.

I don't want to lose guys in the 2 deep.

Mikel Jones may go pro, in which case we just lost a starter, and worst case, one injury and Cantin-Arku would be The Guy.

I don't want to lose guys in the 2 deep.

Yeah losing Jones would stink, but at least he will get paid.

What’s that? The NCAA is treating revenue generating professionals like revenue generating professionals instead of pretending they’re “amateurs.” The guys should be free to choose to do what they want, I can leave my job tomorrow if I’d like and the. start a new one that same day. Why can’t they start one the next year? This sentiment that NCAA has been doing what’s the best for players is riddled with hypocrisy and reeks of old-man-on-the-porch logic. “These kids have loyalty anymore! Back in my day you stayed at your company even if better opportunities came up! Yeah they could fire you at moment with no cause and you’d have no recourse, but that’s the price of loyalty!” They’re adults treat them like it and let them make their own decisions.
Come on... I don't agree with this logic at all. In general societies increased sense of entitlement is getting out of hand in my opinion. I'm not against the players getting more rights than what has been in the past but the current set up is not good at all for the sport of college football and actually in quite a few cases, the knee jerk decisions don't seem like its a good decision for the players either. Often the grass isn't greener. Any kid going to college typically plans to stay for 4 years. Heck going to one school and getting to know people for 4 years and building lasting relationships was the best 4 years of my life. And the differences between the old set-up and new have nothing to do with being amateurs or professionals. Yes you and I had the opportunity to leave the school of choice and head to another one, so did college athletes. And non-athletes do it while needing to pay to go to school. These kids are getting money to be there and also have the NIAL so they can potentially make additional money. I'll certainly admit they have added responsibilities as well though. In the previous set-up its not like we were forcing student athletes to stay at schools differently than normal students. They could still choose to leave the university and go elsewhere. You just need to sit out a year of playing the sport. And it that season you lift and get better in other ways in your time off.

And if you ARE going to give them eligibility to play the next year, at a minimum they need to change the window or time period for changing teams. Allowing in season transfers is dumb, if you do that you have to sit out a year. You have players doing it as soon as possible and before 4 games so they can get a jump on other players for landing spots and not have the current season count which I hate. Make a time frame so its the same for everyone, and make it so the window is in the off season just after the season is up to a month before the following season.

Going to be tough to get a decent transfer with Tuck getting 90%+ of the RB touches and a run first QB. Allen will now see snaps as a true freshman and might see a late recruit or PWO.
He has talent but won't have any experience with the blocking assignments, the offense, etc. Tucker's going to get the lion's share of snaps, and we have JH there who's been in the program for a year (and will be a beast). But with one experienced guy, a RS and a frosh at RB, we're looking a little thin at what used to be a position of depth.

I think GCA and Cole are the two hardest losses. Lutz more for special teams impacts. None are formally starters, but play enough snaps to have a lot of value in games.

But again, people should wait to see what we backfill them with. The portal doesn't just taketh.

I think GCA and Cole are the two hardest losses. Lutz more for special teams impacts. None are formally starters, but play enough snaps to have a lot of value in games.

But again, people should wait to see what we backfill them with. The portal doesn't just taketh.
Outside of Taj (other issues, clearly), losing an experienced and speedy guy like Benson was the biggest hit. It'll be well nigh impossible to land someone from the portal who is 6'4 240 and can run a 10.7. Pity he left before finding out if the new OC would resuscitate the TE position in the offense.

Last edited:
Benson hurts, maybe the most outside of Taj (other issues there). Experienced guy. Probably gave up on our offense after getting so few targets this past year. But it'll be difficult to find a guy 6'4 240 that can run a 10.7. Real pity he left before finding out if the new OC would re-ignite the TE position in the offense.

I don't really count Tommy and Taj. I suppose I should, but to me that ship sailed so long ago.

If there's one thing I've learned from the Benson experience, it's that there's much more to being a good tight end than looking fast on plays that were designed to give you all the room in the world to run.

I don't really count Tommy and Taj. I suppose I should, but to me that ship sailed so long ago.

If there's one thing I've learned from the Benson experience, it's that there's much more to being a good tight end than looking fast on plays that were designed to give you all the room in the world to run.
For sure. He had a couple drops this year .. which didn't help his cause with so few targets. But for a variety of reasons (some of which were on the OC), his on-field performance never caught up to his measureables.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
colpars13

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom