RB Cooper Lutz transferring to Vanderbilt | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

RB Cooper Lutz transferring to Vanderbilt

Agreed, when it became clear a few weeks ago he was back no matter what I said the same thing, this is the classic delaying the inevitable scenario, in collage football bringing the coach back almost never works. London at UVA, Shannon at Miami, Fuentes at Va Tech this year, the guy at Vandy last year, Gill at Kansas, Mora at UCLA etc etc etc. The Beamer and Mcpherson examples are the extreme outliers, Grob is the usual ending for most D1 schools.

Duke who doesn't have any fans or really care about football decided to move on from Cutcliffe, one of the only HCs to ever have success there, because he went 10-25 the last 3 years. Meanwhile Dino, who doesn't have the same track record, can go 11-24 and is safe.

I checked a few years ago and found that it is extremely rare for a P5 HC to take his team below 90th in the Sagarin and then recover.

Sure ... if you're just here for schadenfreude. The portal's been a disaster for us. All the "fun" with this juvenile free-agency (free for all) rule is coming at the expense of a dozen departures (and counting) including talented contributors and badly-needed depth ... on a team that can ill afford to lose either.
Oh actually I was going way darker than that and thinking Tucker gets hurt and with no RBs we just go 5 wide every play and hope Shrader stays alive.

I feel like us as fans should be able to seperate those who transfer with an SU degree and those who don't. Not all transfers are created equal
Yup, I say this a lot, but if a dude graduates and still has eligibility they've fulfilled everything expected of them as a student-athlete and they can pretty much do whatever they (legally, ethically and morally) want and I'm good with it.

there will be 100 rbs in the portal with his ability to run the ball.. STs who knows.

Oh actually I was going way darker than that and thinking Tucker gets hurt and with no RBs we just go 5 wide every play and hope Shrader stays alive.
I mean, dark humor aside, I get your point about 'dudes' graduating and not owing some debt of loyalty to the institution. Lutz left at the end of the season (which is fine), and we have benefited from the portal. All true. I even get your general comedic theme (about the silliness of overintested sports fans). But even for those perched overhead laughing at all the angst and mayhem .. with so much bleeding it's getting harder and harder to argue that the portal has been a net benefit for SU.

Last edited:
Always a reason always an excuse
Good players leaving programs like ours is generally more reflective of wins / losses / better PT opportunities, less about culture.

Though there are exceptions.

UVA just lost a Remington finalist to the portal. Indiana their stud QB.

We lose a special teams / back up RB and point the fingers at “the culture”.

Good luck to Cooper. Always represented the university well and glad he got his degree. Hope he thrives wherever he ends up.

It's a tough loss. Captain, RB depth, and specials.

Feel like there are a sneaky amount of things we relied on him for, especially on specials, that could come back to haunt us a bit.

We def have some work to do.

I'll say it again...Trebor Pena should be a running back and I bet he gets a long look at RB in the spring. Would be a great pass catching back on 3rd down plus his speed with trick plays.

If TheDino doesn't do well in the Portal its going to hard to make it through the season at DL and RB. Possibly Safety

6 starters came out of the portal.

6 starters came out of the portal.
Who?

Shrader yes. Bleich yes. Roscoe was a rotation guy so we can count him. Simmons played due to injuries, do we really want to count him? Cooper was a depth guy and even then he got little time before Pena's injury. Counting the last 2 is stretching the meaning of the word starter. Who is the 6th guy? Adams?

I'll say it again...Trebor Pena should be a running back and I bet he gets a long look at RB in the spring. Would be a great pass catching back on 3rd down plus his speed with trick plays.
What is he 160lbs? How durable could he be

Who?

Shrader yes. Bleich yes. Roscoe was a rotation guy so we can count him. Simmons played due to injuries, do we really want to count him? Cooper was a depth guy and even then he got little time before Pena's injury. Counting the last 2 is stretching the meaning of the word starter. Who is the 6th guy? Adams?

I’ll have to go back and think about it. It was said on the radio and at the time I was able to think of who the 6 were.

Can’t blame a kid waiting to go start somewhere his final years.

Enjoyed watching Lutz and hope he crushes it next season.

Oh its definitely happening its just getting hard for me to see how this ends with 6+ wins which I believe Babers needs to keep his job. A lot of the changes were necessary ie staff shake up etc but the more this plays out the more it seems like Syracuse made a huge mistake in not biting the bullet now and moving or they clearly want to clean house next year once the buyout goes down. John Wildhack is a smart guy, he has to know the chances of this team getting six wins next year right now looks slim and that's probably being kind.
Its hard for everyone. We all have doubts but talking about not firing Dino this year does no good. Decision was already made.

I mean, dark humor aside, I get your point about 'dudes' graduating and not owing some debt of loyalty to the institution. Lutz left at the end of the season (which is fine), and we have benefited from the portal. All true. I even get your general comedic theme (about the silliness of overintested sports fans). But even for those perched overhead laughing at all the angst and mayhem .. with a dozen departures it's getting harder and harder to argue that the portal has been a net benefit for SU.
We'll have to see. Depends on who we get from the portal.

We can win both the Portal Cup and actually come out better. Time will tell.

Who?

Probably includes Tisdale.

Not that I'd put him up as an example that the system works for us.

I think the 6 includes part time starters

How is he a portal guy though? And again he only played due to injury. We had three guys play because of talent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tucker

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom