Class of 2019 - RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

I watched an episode of kung fu today to gain perspective. I will never get that time back.
FEEC74E0-7107-46C2-8138-3587504FF8B7.gif

I don’t like this offer. Seems like a backup at best. Wish they would keep the offer in back pocket for a different ‘19 or ‘20 prospect.

Seems like at this position we have the depth to be more selective and raise the bar. It certainly puts more pressure on the staff to hit on a ‘20 prospect but I think it’s a risk worth taking. Plus RB’s can usually contribute earlier if you need a ‘20 prospect to help as a freshman.

You need 4 quarterbacks to run the practice and still have competition among the players.

you cant watch an episode and understand Kung Fu it has a culture to be learned

Maybe or maybe the kid just wants to have his day.
I think they are very different backs. Garrison looks built to exploit nickel and dime defenses. He is the most north-south oriented RB we have recruited in a long time. His straight ahead speed and power is ideal for that role.

Dukes might be the most east-west RB was have recruited in years. His cutting ability and agility is really impressive.

I hope we have room to take them both (and I hope both decide to come here).

Last edited:
Dukes is more east-west than Jawhar? That’s impressive if so

Appears to be HS version of Strickland IMO
Strick was an arguable 4 star athlete potentially better suited to play safety. This recruit will be a little less versatile, to begin with.

This staff is past the "filler" phase of their roster rehabilitation. They're constantly trying to improve the talent at each position from here on out. Sure, they missed out on a few higher QB's on their board, but they're not offering schollies to kids who they don't think have potential. Just my 2 cents.
Then why are we trying to sign Garrison Johnson? Not trying to high jack this thread but he seems like a classic “filler.”

The response to my comment will be because the staff thinks he’s talented, and I realize that that is all that matters. To me he just screams an average “filler” if we miss on Dukes. Especially at a position where we have talent and you can generally start players there earlier in there careers if you run into a pinch down the road and need to play a freshman.

Then why are we trying to sign Garrison Johnson? Not trying to high jack this thread but he seems like a classic “filler.”

The response to my comment will be because the staff thinks he’s talented, and I realize that that is all that matters. To me he just screams an average “filler” if we miss on Dukes. Especially at a position where we have talent and you can generally start players there earlier in there careers if you run into a pinch down the road and need to play a freshman.

I think the answer is pretty obvious -- Dukes is the priority, and higher rated on the staffs' board, but Garrison Johnson is a pretty good prospect, too. Two very different types of players, with Johnson being more of an inside the tackles runner, and Dukes being close to Abdul Adams / home run threat.

But you are mischaracterizing him as "average" or "filler."

Not overly excited about this one. Hoping we get lucky with Dukes.

I think the answer is pretty obvious -- Dukes is the priority, and higher rated on the staffs' board, but Garrison Johnson is a pretty good prospect, too. Two very different types of players, with Johnson being more of an inside the tackles runner, and Dukes being close to Abdul Adams / home run threat.

But you are mischaracterizing him as "average" or "filler."
Its not that he's average or filler but we already have 5 scholarship players for one position. Neal, Adams, Howard, Pierce, Jordan