Class of 2019 - RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2019 RB Garrison Johnson (TX) SIGNED NLI TO SYRACUSE 2/6/19

Its not that he's average or filler but we already have 5 scholarship players for one position. Neal, Adams, Howard, Pierce, Jordan

Pierre is likely being recruited over by this point. Jordan might end up at slot receiver.

Plus, a kid like this might redshirt, spacing him out from Adams / Neal [who will be gone after this year, BTW]. He wouldn't be brought in with the staff looking for him to make immediate contributions next year, with the players we have returning.

Is RB really a dire need for 2019 anyhow? Seems like we have more than enough depth with the following on the roster:

Neal (SR)
Adams (JR)
Pierre (Rs Soph)
Jarveon (Soph)
Jordan (FR)

I guess we could use another but really doesnt seem we should be wasting schollies this year with the relatively good depth at this spot (unless they assume that Pierre is a transfer possibility?).

Is RB really a dire need for 2019 anyhow? Seems like we have more than enough depth with the following on the roster:

Neal (SR)
Adams (JR)
Pierre (Rs Soph)
Jarveon (Soph)
Jordan (FR)

I guess we could use another but really doesnt seem we should be wasting schollies this year with the relatively good depth at this spot (unless they assume that Pierre is a transfer possibility?).

I don't resonate with this being "wasting schollies." Neal graduates after this year. Adams is gone the year after that.

Who knows whether Pierre fits into the long term plans [per your post]. And Jordan might shift to slot [although that is not guaranteed -- maybe stays at RB, like Neal].

Redshirt this kid, and the numbers thin out quite a bit.

If not Dukes, then Johnson. Not the other way around. No chance we take both.

I'm not enamored with this offer but I think he can do a job here. But he's not being recruited for the Chris Elmore role, it's an RB offer.
Replacement for Akeem Dixon?

I don't resonate with this being "wasting schollies." Neal graduates after this year. Adams is gone the year after that.

Who knows whether Pierre fits into the long term plans [per your post]. And Jordan might shift to slot [although that is not guaranteed -- maybe stays at RB, like Neal].

Redshirt this kid, and the numbers thin out quite a bit.
Think the numbers need is far greater at DT. We need to bring in a couple ASAP.

They did -- Rondi, and at least one or two of the DEs will "grow" into DTs [most notably Dawson or Tuazma].

Trust the staff.
Plus we don't know if HCDB will throw out a surprise on "D" day.

As others have said; graduation, position changes, and sudden departures can change things really quickly.
Kid looks built for our offense; quick and decisive between the tackles runner...

They did -- Rondi, and at least one or two of the DEs will "grow" into DTs [most notably Dawson or Tuazma].

Trust the staff.

You can see it with Dawson but Tuazma growing into a DT is far from a foregone conclusion.

You can see it with Dawson but Tuazma growing into a DT is far from a foregone conclusion.

Tauzma is a big kid...not sure where he ends up but he won’t have any problems putting on muscle.

Tauzma is a big kid...not sure where he ends up but he won’t have any problems putting on muscle.

I didn’t get that impression looking at his recent twitter photos. Tall for sure, but lean.

Trust the staff.
Like Rondi, but he's one guy. We play 2 DT's all the time and is it a very labor intensive position. As fo the other 2, maybe they bulk up, maybe they don't. I'm still waiting for Jake Pickard to put on weight and become a DT. Dawson sounds like a guy who came here to play DE. We could use a 300 pounder that NC State seems to find easily to plug the run. I don't care if it's HS, JC, or Prep school.

Like Rondi, but he's one guy. We play 2 DT's all the time and is it a very labor intensive position. As fo the other 2, maybe they bulk up, maybe they don't. I'm still waiting for Jake Pickard to put on weight and become a DT. Dawson sounds like a guy who came here to play DE. We could use a 300 pounder that NC State seems to find easily to plug the run. I don't care if it's HS, JC, or Prep school.
How about the 276 pound DL we just flipped from Miami?

So with dukes announcement on Saturday garrison will know his fate soon? No way we take both

So with dukes announcement on Saturday garrison will know his fate soon? No way we take both
With the commitment of Munoz there are currently only two available open spots left. That can change if some more current players leave.

tough to pull three hundred Pounders who have the athleticism to play p5 at this late stage, but I love the player we just flipped. I don't think DT is as big of an issue anymore. Lgo!

Are we sure that Adams will be at SU after his junior year? If he has a very good season (which he will), he may go pro. Depth is needed and getting quality depth even more so.

Unless he has a Heisman contending season he's not going anywhere. RBs are a dime a dozen in the NFL.
Your point is valid, but there’s also the wear and tear issue and he might want to move on with his life and perhaps degree? He should graduate after next year.

Why would he have transferred and sat out a season then?

More playing time next year to showcase himself? Honestly haven't looked at who he would have had ahead of him at OU, but I assume they have more talent than we do. Also, I wasn't arguing he would leave, just that even without an NFL guarantee he could be talked into going, since he would have his degree and maybe want to save the wear and tear another year in college would create? As you said RB's are a dime a dozen, so good young ones can probably find work, especially on practice squads. Or he loves SU and is not on any draft board and stays. Honestly imho rb is a tough position to aspire to be in the pros. Shelf life is so short.

Last edited: