Class of 2017 - RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2017 RB Gus Edwards will be Grad Transfer/Commits to Rutgers

Free GUS!!!!

Makes more sense that it isn't up to Richt or the U is just conveniently hiding behind the Ath Dept that way Richt doesn't look like a liar

From ACC Rules:
Exception. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)

How does this square with what Miami is trying to do; unless Gus does not have his undergraduate degree?

From ACC Rules:
Exception. A student-athlete who receives a baccalaureate degree at one member institution and who has been admitted into a degree program at another member institution may transfer to another member institution without being subject to the intra-conference transfer rule. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. (Revised: February 2006)

How does this square with what Miami is trying to do; unless Gus does not have his undergraduate degree?
read the last sentence. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. The requirement that Edwards be released by Miami is a requirement under the NCAA rules.

This is an NCAA rule issue, not an ACC rule issue.

read the last sentence. NCAA transfer regulations would apply. The requirement that Edwards be released by Miami is a requirement under the NCAA rules.

Then how can a conference set of rules not comport with those of the NCAA? (curious)

Maybe they can officially block him until he actually graduates and has degree in hands is my guess here.

String him out and wear him down until he relents and stays

Then how can a conference set of rules not comport with those of the NCAA? (curious)
leftytg and I have already argued this thing back and forth in the previous pages. Miami is stating this is their policy to not allow grads to transfer to another program that is on their schedule. To me this is just wrong. And I agree with you. I don't think it goes to the spirit of what the ACC is advocating in their by-laws.

the NCAA has rules that govern transfers. They set the particular conditions that must be met before a transfer is allowed. Once the particulars are met, the NCAA isn't particularly concerned about where an athlete transfers. Conferences are then allowed to collaborate and set their own, particular, conference rules. These rules cannot supersede or alter NCAA rules, but they can govern member schools in areas where the NCAA rules are silent - like where a particular athlete can transfer. Conferences are free to decide that they do/don't want to allow intraconference transfers, and under what conditions. The ACC allows intraconference transfers for graduate students. The fact that they allow this, though, in no way, shape, or form alters the NCAA requirements for transfers.

So basically it is without force, a meaningless provision. "Sure you can transfer to another conference school." <micro-fine print>As long as your school releases you</micro-fine print>

Sort of like the nonsense pulled in Ezell v. Chicago.

Maybe they can officially block him until he actually graduates and has degree in hands is my guess here.

String him out and wear him down until he relents and stays
Edwards' graduation has nothing to do with whether Miami can/can't release him. So long as he has eligibility remaining, he needs Miami to release him to play elsewhere.

So basically it is without force, a meaningless provision. "Sure you can transfer to another conference school." <micro-fine print>As long as your school releases you</micro-fine print>

Sort of like the nonsense pulled in Ezell v. Chicago.
I think it is more saying graduate transfers aren't subjected to the more draconian intraconference transfer rule that applies to athletes who have not yet received their degrees (pursuant to Section VI-2 of the ACC bylaws, such an athlete must not only sit out a year, but do so without being on scholarship)

That's just wrong.
I agree. I'm definitely not arguing for it. I'm not even trying to argue anything. I'm just an idiot with an affinity for primary sources who looked up the actual rules and am trying to explain them.

Does anyone know if when these kids sign their LOI there is anything in that agreement that says if you decided to transfer after graduating with eligibility we can restrict where you can go? Or is it in the fine, fine print. Or are all the rules and regs even explained to these kids before they sign?

I think it is more saying graduate transfers aren't subjected to the more draconian intraconference transfer rule that applies to athletes who have not yet received their degrees (pursuant to Section VI-2 of the ACC bylaws, such an athlete must not only sit out a year, but do so without being on scholarship)
Absolutely. And I can see where it may come into play, but the pool of realistic teams is 5, right? No one is going to release a kid to a team in the same division, or the two teams in the other division that they play that year.

I was being a bit fanciful with my remark. :)

And remember, you are free to pay more income tax than you are required by law!

I agree. I'm definitely not arguing for it. I'm not even trying to argue anything. I'm just an idiot with an affinity for primary sources who looked up the actual rules and am trying to explain them.
Well, you're doing a hell of a job! Keep it up.

Couple of points:

1. As NSD approaches and the Canes go through their own fishes and loaves scenario they may decide they need the roster spot and relent. Currently they have only 14 commits and a full roster - 91 non-seniors! Don't know how many are walkons so I'm not sure how many slots are available but thinking it's got to be tight.

2. Don't like the fact that Miami can block him from specific schools. Is this formal or a general agreement? What is the chronology of events here? What happens if Gus says he's enrolling at CCNY, Miami grants release and he enrolls at Syracuse?

Couple of points:

1. As NSD approaches and the Canes go through their own fishes and loaves scenario they may decide they need the roster spot and relent. Currently they have only 14 commits and a full roster - 91 non-seniors! Don't know how many are walkons so I'm not sure how many slots are available but thinking it's got to be tight.

2. Don't like the fact that Miami can block him from specific schools. Is this formal or a general agreement? What is the chronology of events here? What happens if Gus says he's enrolling at CCNY, Miami grants release and he enrolls at Syracuse?
They can stipulate in his release where he can and can not go.

That Braziler article in today's New York Post was a step in the right direction.

The more media scrutiny applied to his situation, the better for Edward's chances of securing a non-conditional release. Miami will eventually cave, because the negative publicity for the program [and how it might be used against them on the recruiting trail] isn't worth the hassle.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
granthath9

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom