RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

RB Jawhar Jordan in the transfer portal

That's why I compared him to Johnny Morant or Darryl Strawberry. Gifted athletes who never quite lived up to their potential.

jonny has a great senior year here. That one handed over the shoulder catch in stride v wvu in the dome is one of best catches I’ve ever seen on any level.

jonny has a great senior year here. That one handed over the shoulder catch in stride v wvu in the dome is one of best catches I’ve ever seen on any level.

That UNC game was the greatest game so few people have ever seen. The guy was Megatron.

He was a 5 star recruit, as I recall. Yes, he was very good as a senior.

He was a 5 star recruit, as I recall. Yes, he was very good as a senior.

He was pretty good as a junior too. If he had redshirted, like so many did back then, who knows how great his story could have been. But that redshirt reasoning story was debated awhile ago and not worth jumping back into.

I also don't think Damien was as much wiggle as you think. He was straight line speed, a killer on the counter plays. Think VT 2002 overtime, BC 2004 first play. I thought he lost a step in his senior year, could have been from strength building who knows, but it's also hard to judge anything his senior year. He was playing in completely overhauled offense for a coordinator and head coach who were WAY in over their heads.

So by your measure David Walker, Rob Drummond and Jim Nance were not very good either. Welll I guess you would not know a RB if you see one in that case.
By the same reasoning the Goat Jim Brown wouldn't be included. His best year in college was 986.

He was pretty good as a junior too. If he had redshirted, like so many did back then, who knows how great his story could have been. But that redshirt reasoning story was debated awhile ago and not worth jumping back into.

I also don't think Damien was as much wiggle as you think. He was straight line speed, a killer on the counter plays. Think VT 2002 overtime, BC 2004 first play. I thought he lost a step in his senior year, could have been from strength building who knows, but it's also hard to judge anything his senior year. He was playing in completely overhauled offense for a coordinator and head coach who were WAY in over their heads.

The worst part about that was that the redshirt was burned for what amounted to only a handful of snaps in the first game or two. Complete waste of a year.

Fair enough. Maybe my memory is biased.

I have a friend who coached him. He could have been a much better player for his given talent.

And I watched him. He danced too much at the line of scrimmage. He was not a back who lowered his shoulder into contact. Jordan is not that type of back, in my opinion.
Im fine with your opinions and maybe he dance a bit at times but it seems more like you are trying to find different ways to expose a flaw each time someone says something positive about him.

Im fine with your opinions and maybe he dance a bit at times but it seems more like you are trying to find different ways to expose a flaw each time someone says something positive about him.

No, it started out as a comparison to Jawahr Jordan. I feel that Jordan is a more direct runner than Rhodes used to be. That's all. I think we really missed out on something with Jordan.

If we had him and Adams as our backfield last year, with a functional offensive line and Tommy didn't get hurt, I think that could have been a hell of an offense. My motivation is not to rag on other players of the past. I just feel like we're going to regret this kid getting away. I think Jordan compares favorably to many of the backs I've seen.

He's not that big, but he has great vision at the line of scrimmage. In that regard, he reminds me a bit of Mike Hart, although Mike was a bit stockier, and Jordan is a little bit "lanky" in his frame, eve though he's not a big guy, if that makes any sense.

That's why I compared him to Johnny Morant or Darryl Strawberry. Gifted athletes who never quite lived up to their potential.
Darryl Strawberry is an odd comparison. The guy has 4 Championship rings, was an 8x all-star, was a home run leader and rookie of the year. He played in MLB for almost two decades.

He had some issues with substance abuse and that might have held him back but had career stats and rings most only dream of

Darryl Strawberry is an odd comparison. The guy has 4 Championship rings, was an 8x all-star, was a home run leader and rookie of the year. He played in MLB for almost two decades.

He had some issues with substance abuse and that might have held him back but had career stats and rings most only dream of
Just let him cook...he is currently comparing a 4 year player to someone who got into 4 games.

No, it started out as a comparison to Jawahr Jordan. I feel that Jordan is a more direct runner than Rhodes used to be. That's all. I think we really missed out on something with Jordan.

If we had him and Adams as our backfield last year, with a functional offensive line and Tommy didn't get hurt, I think that could have been a hell of an offense. My motivation is not to rag on other players of the past. I just feel like we're going to regret this kid getting away. I think Jordan compares favorably to many of the backs I've seen.

He's not that big, but he has great vision at the line of scrimmage. In that regard, he reminds me a bit of Mike Hart, although Mike was a bit stockier, and Jordan is a little bit "lanky" in his frame, eve though he's not a big guy, if that makes any sense.
The collegiate sample size for Jordan is so small making any comments about his style or ability is ridiculous. His choice not to stay but he certainly has proven nothing.

Don't you think Darryl Strawberry only accomplished a fraction of what he could have done, if it wasn't for the cocaine problem?

His first 9 years were First Round Hall Of Fame numbers.

His last 8 more years he spent as a shadow of his former self, and had only the one really good year for the Yankees in 1998, the year before he retired.

He played hist last eight years as a journeyman.

In 7 of those 8 "lost years", he hit a total of only 31 home runs. That's 4 1/2 HRs a year.

The one good year with the Yankees, as a big contributor off the bench for the 1998 champions, he hit 24 home runs.

The other 7 years, he did nothing.

In his first 9 years, he hit a total of 280 home runs. That's more than 31 home runs a year.

If he had done that for the 7 lost years out of his last 8, he would have finished with 521 home runs.

That would have tied him with Ted Williams, Willie McCovey and Frank Thomas for 20th of all time.

He could have been an all-time great. He won a couple rings, which you're right, very few people ever do. But there was so much more he could have done, if not for his drug and alcohol problems.

you never fail to underwhelm

im pretty sure he split time with other guys, why don’t you look it up

and his senior year who were the coaches?

dope

*Every* player has competition for the starting job.

"Dope?" That's lame.

Damian Rhodes is not in the all-time top 25 or probably even 30 of our running backs, let along top 10-11, as Barrell said.

I listed more than 10 guys who ran for 1,000 yards, many of whom are not "household names" in the All-Time Orange record books, like Boonah Brinkley, Dee Brown, James Mungro and Jerome Smith (who did it twice).

I would put all eleven 1,000 yard rushers ahead of Rhodes.

Then you add in all-time greats who never got 1,000 yards, like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Jim Nance, Darryl Johnston, Rob Konrad, Robert Drummond. That's almost 20 guys better than Rhodes without barely thinking about it.

I'm sure there are a very solid handful of guys who split time over the years who were also noteworthy backs - do people like Ger Schwedes, Tom Coughlin, Marty Januszkiewicz, Kyle McIntosh, Jamie Covington, Terry Richardson, or Dontae Strickland rate better than Rhodes?

This thread was about the loss of Jawahr Jordan.

40BE91AD-45A0-4346-B652-1F36E64F3DFF.gif

The collegiate sample size for Jordan is so small making any comments about his style or ability is ridiculous. His choice not to stay but he certainly has proven nothing.
Bang

"Dope?" That's lame.

Damian Rhodes is not in the all-time top 25 or probably even 30 of our running backs, let along top 10-11, as Barrell said.

I listed more than 10 guys who ran for 1,000 yards, many of whom are not "household names" in the All-Time Orange record books, like Boonah Brinkley, Dee Brown, James Mungro and Jerome Smith (who did it twice).

Then you add in all-time greats who never got 1,000 yards, like Jim Brown, Ernie Davis, Jim Nance, Darryl Johnston, Rob Konrad, Robert Drummond. That's almost 20 guys better than Rhodes without barely thinking about it.

I'm sure there are a very solid handful of guys who split time over the years who were also noteworthy backs - do people like Ger Schwedes, Tom Coughlin, Marty Januszkiewicz, Kyle McIntosh, Jamie Covington, Terry Richardson, or Dontae Strickland rate better than Rhodes?

My man, you are working too hard to discredit him now. Yeah we all expected Damien to do more but he wasnt no bum. He underachieved during a time when the program was on a down swing. There's reasons why he didn't reach expectations. You already admitted you have a bias. To say he is not a top 30 RB in Cuse history is pretty wild. What did he do to you?

Last edited:
Don't you think Darryl Strawberry only accomplished a fraction of what he could have done, if it wasn't for the cocaine problem?

His first 9 years were First Round Hall Of Fame numbers.

His last 8 more years he spent as a shadow of his former self, and had only the one really good year for the Yankees in 1998, the year before he retired.

He played hist last eight years as a journeyman.

In 7 of those 8 "lost years", he hit a total of only 31 home runs. That's 4 1/2 HRs a year.

The one good year with the Yankees, as a big contributor off the bench for the 1998 champions, he hit 24 home runs.

The other 7 years, he did nothing.

In his first 9 years, he hit a total of 280 home runs. That's more than 31 home runs a year.

If he had done that for the 7 lost years out of his last 8, he would have finished with 521 home runs.

That would have tied him with Ted Williams, Willie McCovey and Frank Thomas for 20th of all time.

He could have been an all-time great. He won a couple rings, which you're right, very few people ever do. But there was so much more he could have done, if not for his drug and alcohol problems.

He’s 10th in career rushing yds, 8th in rush tds, 6th total tds, 6th in all purpose yds, and thats while being the second guy to Reyes for three years, only playing 4 games because of an injury as a sophomore, and his senior year getting stuck with two of the worst coaches in SU history

facts, deal with it

"Dope?" That's lame.

FWIW Nance was a 1000 yd rusher. Second to B Piccolo of WF nationally in ‘64. Would’ve been 1st but had far fewer carries and oh yeah...Floyd Little was also in the backfield.

He’s 10th in career rushing yds, 8th in rush tds, 6th total tds, 6th in all purpose yds, and thats while being the second guy to Reyes for three years, only playing 4 games because of an injury as a sophomore, and his senior year getting stuck with two of the worst coaches in SU history

facts, deal with it

It's my opinion. I don't have to agree.
I feel like he isn't in our top 20 all-time.

P.S. - Greg Paulus is our all-time leader in completion percentage for a season (and probably for a career). Stats don't always tell the story.

Last edited:
It's my opinion. I don't have to agree.
I feel like he isn't in our top 20 all-time.

P.S. - Greg Paulus is our all-time leader in completion percentage for a season (and probably for a career). Stats don't always tell the story.

your the one listing 1000 yd seasons as if that has singular meaning and using it to run down Rhodes

you feel, like that means anything

Don't mix apples and oranges. The only valid comparison is yards per carry.

The number of games played each year has increased Jim Brown played 8 games per year) and freshmen couldn't play varsity football before 1968. Another variable is the number of running backs in the mix; are you playing a one- or two-back formation and how many good backs have to share the carries.

Is there any chance of Jawhar coming back? He as not officially committed elsewhere yet.

Is he working out with the team?

Don't mix apples and oranges. The only valid comparison is yards per carry.

The number of games played each year has increased Jim Brown played 8 games per year) and freshmen couldn't play varsity football before 1968. Another variable is the number of running backs in the mix; are you playing a one- or two-back formation and how many good backs have to share the carries.
Even then yards per carry probably doesn't reflect how offenses are so different now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom