Real talk - Mullen wouldn't be doing what Brown is right now | Syracusefan.com

Real talk - Mullen wouldn't be doing what Brown is right now

Steve Austin Wwe GIF by A&E

So here's how this all shakes out in the multiverse

Hire Dan Mullen -- proves to the fanbase you're serious about football. Likely gets some names, but would likely heavily rely on the portal. I think most 'Cuse fans would be happy with the hire

Hire Bob Chesney -- proven program builder, proven winner, but my biggest question marks were recruiting at this level and his connections for a P4 staff. I was going to be fine with Chesney, but unfair to him, time was going to be needed and I don't think we could wait

Hire Fran Brown -- power recruiter, but can he build a staff (clearly) and how will it work as a first time head coach? Time will certainly tell, but he has Syracuse fans rejuvenated and doing things many haven't seen around here. An incredible first impression

So here's how this all shakes out in the multiverse

Hire Dan Mullen -- proves to the fanbase you're serious about football. Likely gets some names, but would likely heavily rely on the portal. I think most 'Cuse fans would be happy with the hire

Hire Bob Chesney -- proven program builder, proven winner, but my biggest question marks were recruiting at this level and his connections for a P4 staff. I was going to be fine with Chesney, but unfair to him, time was going to be needed and I don't think we could wait

Hire Fran Brown -- power recruiter, but can he build a staff (clearly) and how will it work as a first time head coach? Time will certainly tell, but he has Syracuse fans rejuvenated and doing things many haven't seen around here. An incredible first impression
Just goes to show you..how much fans know! Wildhack went with the decision that has the potential of "Catching Lightning in a bottle". A significant infusion of talent will decrease the talent gap compared to the other programs in the ACC and should tranlate to a more competitive team.

Just goes to show you..how much fans know! Wildhack went with the decision that has the potential of "Catching Lightning in a bottle". A significant infusion of talent will decrease the talent gap compared to the other programs in the ACC and should tranlate to a more competitive team.

Oh 100%. Between Brown, Chesney, and Mullen I think most here were going to go with Mullen then Chesney and then Brown. The jury is still out on how Fran will be as a HC, but he's putting an incredible staff together and recruiting at a very high level. I'm so excited for September. This has been AWESOME

Oh 100%. Between Brown, Chesney, and Mullen I think most here were going to go with Mullen then Chesney and then Brown. The jury is still out on how Fran will be as a HC, but he's putting an incredible staff together and recruiting at a very high level. I'm so excited for September. This has been AWESOME
Teams that can stop the run, and run the ball effectively usually do well.

Honestly, there might not be 10 head coaches who could come in and have immediate equivalent recruiting victories that Fran Brown has amassed at this point.

I was super pro-Mullen but this is insane!
In all honesty, how many dudes could you say could do what brown has done in this time frame from a recruiting perspective, especially here?

I don’t think Dabo or Jimbo could do it. Could Ryan Day or Harbaugh do this in two weeks? Could Kirby Smart or Nick Saban?

in all seriousness I think the list of guys who could have pulled this group off in this time frame, is Fran Brown. I don’t seriously think anyone else could have. Saban and Smart would also build elite coaches and solid recruiters, they would get some dudes. But I don’t know if they could get this number of studs here so fast. Browns NE connections have been tremendous so far.

safe to say, I personally think Brown is in a class all his own so far.

There’s not another staff in the country that would be doing this here. JW put all his chips on talent acquisition. Brown is getting results in what he is acknowledged to be elite at.

So far, the plan is coming together. It’s a great start.
This is well-said and I agree with the great start piece. Still have to see what it looks like on the field but, man, as far as getting kids signed up I really never thought we'd see this sort of thing. Pretty crazy.

For the record, I half-wonder if we dodge a bullet in a way with Mullen. This is a tough job and -- while I'm not criticizing his credentials -- i kind of wonder if he genuinely wanted a challenge like what we have facing us at the moment. Could be completely unfair, I'm just sometimes a bit wary of the big name when it comes to a program that may be lacking in certain areas.

This is well-said and I agree with the great start piece. Still have to see what it looks like on the field but, man, as far as getting kids signed up I really never thought we'd see this sort of thing. Pretty crazy.

For the record, I half-wonder if we dodge a bullet in a way with Mullen. This is a tough job and -- while I'm not criticizing his credentials -- i kind of wonder if he genuinely wanted a challenge like what we have facing us at the moment. Could be completely unfair, I'm just sometimes a bit wary of the big name when it comes to a program that may be lacking in certain areas.

Right you’re wondering if Mullen would be better suited at a factory that has the established roster, NIL, etc. Makes sense. Unfair or right on the nose, the Syracuse job had a lot of doubters and it seems like Fran is (so far) the perfect hire for us

Brown appears to be immune to our challenges so far.

Perhaps we're not as challenged as we have believed.

Brown appears to be immune to our challenges so far.

Perhaps we're not as challenged as we have believed.
From his first hire getting ERob, another prolific recruiter- to the Ferraris, hibachis, team dinners, history/connections to our last great coaches, teams, and eras, it just seems like this was meant to be.
I'm beyond blown away. What this guy has done...in 2 effin weeks mind you, is unprecedented. Unreal.

That's it. That's the whole message.
You just posted what many of us have been thinking.
For me, I think Mullen would have lended a wounded program some badly needed credibility, but I think he would have had average results, which would have been disappointing.

Chesney would have been the better hire than Mullen in the long run, but still here on earth.

Brown was a head scratcher, but I was all in because of my faith in JW. It was clear he was believing his own analysis and rolling the dice. Never expected him to roll his number first time!

As for Fran, "Please sir, I want some more?"

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom