Reason for some optimism | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Reason for some optimism

because they would like to actually sell tickets. you start doing that then it's hard to go back to a normal business model.
Back in the day SU use to sell student book tickets for a very reasonable price to those under eighteen, I know because it is how I started following SU. They need to start doing this again for two reasons 1) increase fannies in the seats and 2) start rebuilding a local fan base. It would have minimal effect on their current model, and would benefit their attendance down the road.

I am always optimistic about the team since they hired Dino. The man is not perfect, but he really gets our players pumped up. I am very excited to see what happens with the new offensive coaches, better depth at quarterback. Sur ethe D line depth needs to improve but to be honest we are not at the point where we are expecting to be national champions. We need to get good before we become great, and I honestly feel we are getting better.

What coach doesn’t get their team pumped up?

I am flabbergasted at how people can make so many excuses for a coach who’s lost 70% of his conference games. Apparently being somewhat less bad than Greg Robinson is now the Syracuse standard.

Syracuse’s schedules under Babers have always been Clemson and a load of trash. Yet somehow he’s only made a bowl game once.

I expect nothing to change this year.

Last edited:
This podcast of an interview with Dino is very encouraging. Hopefully Gramlich & Mac Lain are correct in their assessments. It's a nice listen with positive vibes about the defense and offense. The link was in the daily articles but with the recent negativity here, I thought I'd get the thread back on track with some positivity.

If anti motivational speaking was a thing, I think you’d be really good at it.

I’m sorry, but hardly any power conference schools (except for Vanderbilt) would keep a coach who’s 15-35 in conference play and has made one bowl in six years. It really is impossible for anybody not in la-la land to say anything positive about Baber’s tenure.

I’m sorry, but hardly any power conference schools (except for Vanderbilt) would keep a coach who’s 15-35 in conference play and has made one bowl in six years. It really is impossible for anybody not in la-la land to say anything positive about Baber’s tenure.

It can be quite hip here at times when a "new-bee" type as yourself posts this particular type of sentiment...low hanging fruit so to speak for those 'usual suspects.' The post in which you responded to is some proof of same.

There's no doubt that your sentiment is far more accurate than not as his record clearly speaks for itself. Well, certainly from an objective point of view. ;)

This podcast of an interview with Dino is very encouraging. Hopefully Gramlich & Mac Lain are correct in their assessments. It's a nice listen with positive vibes about the defense and offense. The link was in the daily articles but with the recent negativity here, I thought I'd get the thread back on track with some positivity.
Can you summarize for those who don't have access?

Not quite.

What are the exceptions? Our games against ND in 2018 and 2020? I’m not even going to count the WVU bowl game because their star QB was sitting out.

So, we’ve played two games in Baber’s whole tenure against teams other than Clemson that actually deserved to finish the season ranked? Wow, how amazing. Actually, that seems pretty shitty to me.

It can be quite hip here at times when a "new-bee" type as yourself posts this particular type of sentiment...low hanging fruit so to speak for those 'usual suspects.' The post in which you responded to is some proof of same.

There's no doubt that your sentiment is far more accurate than not as his record clearly speaks for itself. Well, certainly from an objective point of view. ;)
We could all sit here and bash Dino all day for the mistakes he’s made, but what would be the point? If there was ever a time to be optimistic about Dino’s tenure, it’s now. We have 2 new highly thought of offensive coaches (that wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) that we’re all excited about and that are light years better than what we’ve had since Sean Lewis left that excel in coaching up QBs just like the one we have now, we have a heisman candidate at RB (who wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) and a very experienced and talented defense. We can’t change reality, and the reality is Dino Babers is our head coach. Instead of bashing him let’s respect the fact he went out of his tree and secured 2 big names in Robert Anae and Jason Beck to help fix the offense and get this team on the right track.

What are the exceptions? Our games against ND in 2018 and 2020? I’m not even going to count the WVU bowl game because their star QB was sitting out.

So, we’ve played two games in Baber’s whole tenure against teams other than Clemson that actually deserved to finish the season ranked? Wow, how amazing. Actually, that seems pretty shitty to me.

Clueless. Ever hear of strength of schedule? Of 130 or so teams how bad would it have to be to be “trash” or “shitty”?

We could all sit here and bash Dino all day for the mistakes he’s made, but what would be the point? If there was ever a time to be optimistic about Dino’s tenure, it’s now. We have 2 new highly thought of offensive coaches (that wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) that we’re all excited about and that are light years better than what we’ve had since Sean Lewis left that excel in coaching up QBs just like the one we have now, we have a heisman candidate at RB (who wouldn’t be here if we fired Dino) and a very experienced and talented defense. We can’t change reality, and the reality is Dino Babers is our head coach. Instead of bashing him let’s respect the fact he went out of his tree and secured 2 big names in Robert Anae and Jason Beck to help fix the offense and get this team on the right track.

So Dino’s fired some assistants and brought in new ones? My God, who cares.

Firing assistants is what head coaches do the year before the head coaches get fired themselves, for in case you’re not aware.

And you seriously think that Sean Tucker is a Heisman candidate? Sporting News has a list of Heisman candidates all the way down to +5000 (50/1) odds, and Tucker is nowhere on there.

Yeah, Tucker probably would be a Heisman candidate if he was on a better team. But that’s just a further indictment of Dino.

Last edited:
So Dino’s fired some assistants and brought in new ones? My God, who cares.

Firing assistants is what head coaches do the year before the head coaches get fired themselves, for in case you’re not aware.

And you seriously think that Sean Tucker is a Heisman candidate? Sporting News has a list of Heisman candidates all the way down to +5000 (50/1) odds, and Tucker is nowhere on there.

Yeah, Tucker probably would be a Heisman candidate if he was on a better team. But that’s just a further indictment of Dino.
Everybody cares but you. Those are 2 great hires that have the potential to go a long way for our offense. If you’re so down on the team and the program to the point you can’t even acknowledge that Robert Anae and Jason Beck were great hires, then why even follow the team? because obviously no matter what Dino does you won’t be happy. So how about you piss off until his tenure is over?

I get what you're saying and have been a big critic of Babers, though outside of the top teams no one knows who our coach is. How many people know Clawson is the coach of Wake after last season? Practically none outside of ACC fans or degenerate gamblers.

Regarding who would keep him after six seasons of 15-35 conference play, the schools we are more aligned with would (i.e. Wake, Vandy, NW, Duke, etc). We aren't big money with a massive donor pool to help us get rid of a coach who hasn't performed to what we expect.

The hiring of Anae and Beck meant we actually invested in this program like we should. That's a great thing to see and I'm actually encouraged by it.

First 3 years were great.(nobody we could’ve gotten would’ve done better in 16 and 17 than Dino did)

Next 2 years were an absolute disaster.

Last year was in the middle.

If you want to solely look at the record at a school like SU, as if 2002-2015 never happened, you’re not being all that honest about things.

First 3 years were great.(nobody we could’ve gotten would’ve done better in 16 and 17 than Dino did)

Next 2 years were an absolute disaster.

Last year was in the middle.

If you want to solely look at the record at a school like SU, as if 2002-2015 never happened, you’re not being all that honest about things.

He’s done badly in five out of six years, and has had one outlier good year.

As for his first two years: After the 2018 season, I get why some people would have viewed those as rebuilding years before he finally got things going in 2018. But the last 3 years have caused me to view 2016-17 in a different light. In other words, 2016-17 and 2019-21 reflect who Dino really is, and he just had an odd outlier in 2018. (And FWIW, 2018 actually was the last year he had players recruited by Shafer. So his record without Shafer recruits is actually worse than his record with Shafer recruits.)

He’s done badly in five out of six years, and has had one outlier good year.

As for his first two years: After the 2018 season, I get why some people would have viewed those as rebuilding years before he finally got things going in 2018. But the last 3 years have caused me to view 2016-17 in a different light. In other words, 2016-17 and 2019-21 reflect who Dino really is, and he just had an odd outlier in 2018. (And FWIW, 2018 actually was the last year he had players recruited by Shafer. So his record without Shafer recruits is actually worse than his record with Shafer recruits.)
That…..makes no sense to me.

2016 and 17 teams had zero depth, played to their strengths, played competitively against teams better than them, and each had one monumental victory over a team that was way better than them. Wheels fell off the last few weeks when half the good players were hurt. Dino did all he could. Those teams aggressively went out and played a unique, fun style and did the best they possibly could. I’ll take it, and 5 years later I’ll still defend it.

Last edited:
That…..makes no sense to me.

2016 and 17 teams had zero depth, played to their strengths, played competitively against teams better than them, and each had one monumental victory over a team that was way better than them. Wheels fell off the last few weeks when half the good players were hurt. Dino did all he could. Those teams let their nuts hang and went out and played a unique, fun style and did the best they possibly could. I’ll take it, and 5 years later I’ll still defend it.

Shafer was 7-17 (.291) in the ACC after three years, and was fired with little if any controversy.

Now Babers is 15-35 (.300) in the ACC after six years. Not only is he being retained for year seven, but a whole bunch of people are defending him?

What the hell is the logic here?

Shafer was 7-17 (.291) in the ACC after three years, and was fired with little if any controversy.

Now Babers is 15-35 (.300) in the ACC after six years. Not only is he being retained for year seven, but a whole bunch of people are defending him?

What the hell is the logic here?
Shafer took over a program that was on the upswing and was coming off it’s best stretch of football in 11 years. 2012 team was legit GOOD(one of THREE “legit GOOD” teams we’ve had post McNabb - who is closing in on 50 years old!!) Took him all of 3 years to completely torpedo it back to Greg Robinson levels.

What else ya got?

Last edited:

*Babers'

Are you telling me that Wake, NC State, FSU, Miami, Pitt, VT, LSU, etc didn’t ever finish the season ranked when we played them?

Clueless. Ever hear of strength of schedule? Of 130 or so teams how bad would it have to be to be “trash” or “shitty”?
Semantics of characterization of schedules are irrelevant, his record is the only thing which is relevant. His record is way below .500 after six full seasons by anyones standard not good.
I hope for and will be rooting for better this year, but so far he has underperformed.
Most coaches have a good season and see at least a slight uptick, Babers had one good season and fell off a cliff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DizzyNY

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom