Recruiting 2020-2022 | Page 15 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2020-2022

Well, this is gross.

Amid the shifting norms, there’s a growing sense of unease among suburban parents in niche-sport hubs—a dread that they went too far, failed to read the room. And they’re not wrong. “It’s easy to stereotype the Fairfield County player,” says Lars Tiffany, the men’s varsity-lacrosse coach at the University of Virginia. “The Fairfield County player is the rich kid who still has his umbilical cord connected: the kid who doesn’t really have to take ownership of his mistakes or actions.” Tiffany insists he doesn’t buy in to such broad-brush stereotypes. “We try not to care where they’re from,” he says. And yet, “if they’re from a hotbed, there’s an expectation level.” - A lot going on here.

Amid the shifting norms, there’s a growing sense of unease among suburban parents in niche-sport hubs—a dread that they went too far, failed to read the room. And they’re not wrong. “It’s easy to stereotype the Fairfield County player,” says Lars Tiffany, the men’s varsity-lacrosse coach at the University of Virginia. “The Fairfield County player is the rich kid who still has his umbilical cord connected: the kid who doesn’t really have to take ownership of his mistakes or actions.” Tiffany insists he doesn’t buy in to such broad-brush stereotypes. “We try not to care where they’re from,” he says. And yet, “if they’re from a hotbed, there’s an expectation level.” - A lot going on here.
It get's better!
“Do I hold the Fairfield County lacrosse player to a higher standard? Of course. You just know he’s been coached up. So flash-forward to me watching a [high school] junior on the lacrosse field. The thought is going through my brain that I like his skill set but there’s room for growth. But then I think, Wait. He’s already had a lot of people working on these things. He’s a little tapped out. Maybe I’ll take a player from Northern California or Texas. Someone who hasn’t been exposed to such elite coaching. Someone whose best lacrosse could be ahead of him. You try to tell yourself not to overanalyze, but you do.” - Lars giving away all his secrets! Petro wishes this article came out a couple years ago!

I count Leo, Spallina, Kempney and Gibbs all playing for the Tide at this event.

Gators 12, Tide 12 (1:30, Field 2)A good indication of the balance of the rosters, both 2022 matchups at Field 2 ended in ties.

In a game that had a Syracuse-Virginia vibe with 10 commits headed to either program, IL's No. 4-ranked recruit Truitt Sunderland (Calvert Hall, Md.) exploded for six goals and an assist and his future Virginia teammate Ryan Colsey (Ridgefield, Conn.) had two goals and two assists. No. 10 recruit Mac Eldridge (Georgetown Prep, Md.) fed his teamm possession, winning 9-of-11 face-offs. Carter Kempney (Carthage, N.Y.) led the way with three goals, Joey Spallina (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) had two goals and an assist, Chad Palumbo (Noble & Greenough, Mass.) and Collin Rovere (Wayne Valley, N.J.) had two goals each.
————————————————————-
Tide 11, Seminoles 7 (3:30, Field 3)The class’ No. 1 player, Spallina didn’t see the ball much in his first game because of big face-off deficit. He made up for lost time in his second game. He had the first three goals for his team, finishing with four goals and two assists.

Coach Jono Zissi smartly paired him with his future Orange classmate Michael Leo (St. Anthony’s, N.Y.), and the pair wreaked havoc together.

Spallina’s behind-the-back goal is going to get the most attention, But a two-man game, with Spallina baiting and drawing his man to switch and punching it to Leo for a bullet and score, was a goal earlier in the game that should have Orange fans most excited.

Georgetown commit Jorday Wray had a nifty finish for the Pat Spencer-led Seiminoles. Loyola commit Luke Murphy (Medfield, Mass.) had a pair of goals.

Gators 12, Tide 12 (1:30, Field 2)A good indication of the balance of the rosters, both 2022 matchups at Field 2 ended in ties.

In a game that had a Syracuse-Virginia vibe with 10 commits headed to either program, IL's No. 4-ranked recruit Truitt Sunderland (Calvert Hall, Md.) exploded for six goals and an assist and his future Virginia teammate Ryan Colsey (Ridgefield, Conn.) had two goals and two assists. No. 10 recruit Mac Eldridge (Georgetown Prep, Md.) fed his teamm possession, winning 9-of-11 face-offs. Carter Kempney (Carthage, N.Y.) led the way with three goals, Joey Spallina (Mount Sinai, N.Y.) had two goals and an assist, Chad Palumbo (Noble & Greenough, Mass.) and Collin Rovere (Wayne Valley, N.J.) had two goals each.
————————————————————-
Tide 11, Seminoles 7 (3:30, Field 3)The class’ No. 1 player, Spallina didn’t see the ball much in his first game because of big face-off deficit. He made up for lost time in his second game. He had the first three goals for his team, finishing with four goals and two assists.

Coach Jono Zissi smartly paired him with his future Orange classmate Michael Leo (St. Anthony’s, N.Y.), and the pair wreaked havoc together.

Spallina’s behind-the-back goal is going to get the most attention, But a two-man game, with Spallina baiting and drawing his man to switch and punching it to Leo for a bullet and score, was a goal earlier in the game that should have Orange fans most excited.

Georgetown commit Jorday Wray had a nifty finish for the Pat Spencer-led Seiminoles. Loyola commit Luke Murphy (Medfield, Mass.) had a pair of goals.

Five-star Syracuse commit Brock Behrman (Niskayuna, N.Y.) had a hat trick and an assist.

1603659758750.png

:confused:

I don't even know where to put this because it's class of 2025 - that's 8th graders - but I read a recap of the Apex2025 showcase and two names mentioned I found interesting were Liam Banks JR and a kid named Winter Rivera. The Rivera kid is from Gowanda. But what stood out to me were the comments about his "box background" and "stick skills were on full display." I'm assuming he's a Native American ?

Here's Liam's tape

Last edited:
I don't even know where to put this because it's class of 2025 - that's 8th graders - but I read a recap of the Apex2025 showcase and two names mentioned I found interesting were Liam Banks JR and a kid named Winter Rivera. The Rivera kid is from Gowanda. But what stood out to me where the comments about his "box background" and "stick skills were on full display." I'm assuming he's a Native American ?

Here's Liam's tape

They have showcase camps for kids in 8th grade (for like three months)? That's absurd. (I'm sure that's not the take away you were looking for, but I can't help it).

Tommy Drago’s little brother Anthony Drago also shone at the Future’s 2025 showcase. He’s #25 and appears at the 3:50 mark. 2025 is a longgg ways away but maybe just something to keep an eye on.

They have showcase camps for kids in 8th grade (for like three months)? That's absurd. (I'm sure that's not the take away you were looking for, but I can't help it).

It's crazy. These showcases are 1 day events. 2025 is the youngest I've seen. It's a money grab.

Look at the pic of the one defensemen and one attackman, they're both 3 inches taller than Matt Rambo.

Last edited:

In the updated NLF October 2020 top 60 rankings:

Joey remains ranked #1 (5*)

Billy Dwan ranked #9 (5*)

Chuck Kuczynski ranked #39 (4*)

Dylan Sageder ranked #43 (4*)

Luke Rhoa ranked #60 (4*)

Little weird not seeing Trujillo, Leo, or McCool on the list at all. But, I guess when all is said and done the majority of the '22 class will be 5* - high 4* recruits.

And I just have to say-- This class thus far has been put together masterfully. I mean from top to bottom, I cant say enough good things about each recruit we have gotten so far.

The NLF list is essentially meaningless. They only rank kids who play for club teams on the NLF circuit. It covers a decent amount of the top kids but many, many others are left out. For instance, Truitt Sunderland isn't even in their top 60. Wouldn't pay much attention to it.

In the updated NLF October 2020 top 60 rankings:

Joey remains ranked #1 (5*)

Billy Dwan ranked #9 (5*)

Chuck Kuczynski ranked #39 (4*)

Dylan Sageder ranked #43 (4*)

Luke Rhoa ranked #60 (4*)

Little weird not seeing Trujillo, Leo, or McCool on the list at all. But, I guess when all is said and done the majority of the '22 class will be 5* - high 4* recruits.

And I just have to say-- This class thus far has been put together masterfully. I mean from top to bottom, I cant say enough good things about each recruit we have gotten so far.

Trujillo, Leo, and McCool all play for teams outside the NLF. Their list excludes a bunch of good players.

Trujillo, Leo, and McCool all play for teams outside the NLF. Their list excludes a bunch of good players.

Trujillo's an odd case. He plays for Annapolis Hawks, and their kids seem to be rated (Dwan for example), even though the club is not listed as part of NLF.

Pretty stout class by Desko an staff. The job that March has done since coming in is nothing short of tremendous. Very eager to see if they add a few more pieces and if they can sustain this level of recruiting for years to come.

Brother of Max I presume. Committed to Hobart. Believe their dad played there.