Recruiting 2021-2023 | Page 20 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2021-2023

There was never a moment's chance that a person named Melchionni was going anywhere but Villanova. During the 60's and 70's any number of Melchionni boys played basketball for Villanova. One of them played for the Sixers for a while. They went to Bishop Eustace in South Jersey.

Updated '23 classes by total # of IL stars:

1. Penn (42)
  2. Princeton (34)
  3. Navy (33)
  4. Georgetown (30)
  5. Ohio State (29)
  6. Duke, Syracuse (28)
  7. Notre Dame (25)
  8. Michigan, Brown (24)
  9. North Carolina (21)
  10. Johns Hopkins, Yale (20)
  11. Harvard (19)
  12. Penn State (17)
  13. Cornell (13)
  14. Army (12)
  15. Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers, Villanova (8)
  16. Denver, Marquette, Colgate, BU (4)
Some notables:
- Toomey usually does well with the recruits he gets, but still, 0 stars for the Hounds as of today
- Maryland and Virginia stick out like sore thumbs
- Rutgers doesn't appear to be doing any better than last year, perhaps a side effect of Transfermania
- Penn and Princeton having MONSTER years. Any explanation for this?
- Everything else looks like business as usual for the most part. Tierney can't be thrilled especially with them also just losing '22 Aitken to Maryland

Check back on this in six months, UVA and Maryland will undoubtedly flip several higher end guys most likely from the IVY or the academies.

There was never a moment's chance that a person named Melchionni was going anywhere but Villanova. During the 60's and 70's any number of Melchionni boys played basketball for Villanova. One of them played for the Sixers for a while. They went to Bishop Eustace in South Jersey.

Except he has several much more immediate connections at Duke, including his father. Big family of athletes split between Duke and Nova so it was always going to be one of those two. It was a surprise to me he didn't end up at Duke but maybe he didn't want to compete with #1 LSM Christmas

Except he has several much more immediate connections at Duke, including his father. Big family of athletes split between Duke and Nova so it was always going to be one of those two. It was a surprise to me he didn't end up at Duke but maybe he didn't want to compete with #1 LSM Christmas
Thanks for filling me in. Billy played for Sixers and the ABA Nets alongside Dr. J.

His Dad went to Duke and was an All American in Lax.

Updated '23 classes by total # of IL stars:

1. Penn (42)
  2. Princeton (34)
  3. Navy (33)
  4. Georgetown (30)
  5. Ohio State (29)
  6. Duke, Syracuse (28)
  7. Notre Dame (25)
  8. Michigan, Brown (24)
  9. North Carolina (21)
  10. Johns Hopkins, Yale (20)
  11. Harvard (19)
  12. Penn State (17)
  13. Cornell (13)
  14. Army (12)
  15. Maryland, Virginia, Rutgers, Villanova (8)
  16. Denver, Marquette, Colgate, BU (4)
Some notables:
- Toomey usually does well with the recruits he gets, but still, 0 stars for the Hounds as of today
- Maryland and Virginia stick out like sore thumbs
- Rutgers doesn't appear to be doing any better than last year, perhaps a side effect of Transfermania
- Penn and Princeton having MONSTER years. Any explanation for this?
- Everything else looks like business as usual for the most part. Tierney can't be thrilled especially with them also just losing '22 Aitken to Maryland

Thanks for putting this together. Of course not all stars are created equal - a player like Millon probably counts for more than a guy ranked in the teens, but it’s still interesting to see it laid out this way.

Not sure what to make of Penn and Princeton, both are obviously very good schools, Penn has had more recent success but Princeton obviously has an impressive overall history. The Ivys will have lots of playing opportunities for these kids, no fifth year transfers or fifth year seniors to compete with, but not sure why they are doing better than the more traditional teams like Cornell and Yale. It’s something to follow for sure.

I have to think Navy will lose a kid or two, there always seems to be players who realize they don’t actually want to join the military. I think UVA flipped one ‘22 earlier this year and of course ‘Cuse got Tyler Cordes.

Lots of surprising names. Agree that the transfers must be contributing to Maryland’s struggles but I imagine they will make up for it somewhere else. There will be more fifth years next year. Curious that it doesn’t seem to affect Duke.

The Virginia thing is weird. Read the Sabre and you get some very bizarre reasons for why they are struggling. Maybe their recent success is scaring kids away? As in they don’t want to compete with what is in front of them? Or they put all their eggs in a few baskets that didn’t commit till late and all their other targets had decided on elsewhere.

Lastly, interesting to see Duke and Syracuse tied for the same amount of stars. Obviously Duke’s class is top heavy but that’s nice to see from a Syracuse perspective. For the Orange, given how big the ‘22 class is I think this class is meant to be more supplemental. I think they need more midfielders but so far this group really compliments the ‘22 class. Faceoff help, some more depth for what will be a young defense, an inside finisher on attack and some more diverse midfield attacking options. I can’t imagine they are finished yet but it’s a really good core group.

Lots of surprising names. Agree that the transfers must be contributing to Maryland’s struggles but I imagine they will make up for it somewhere else. There will be more fifth years next year. Curious that it doesn’t seem to affect Duke.

The Virginia thing is weird. Read the Sabre and you get some very bizarre reasons for why they are struggling. Maybe their recent success is scaring kids away? As in they don’t want to compete with what is in front of them? Or they put all their eggs in a few baskets that didn’t commit till late and all their other targets had decided on elsewhere.
I don't know that one can really say that Maryland's transfers have been the cause of Maryland's struggles with recruiting. UVa has a rather similar recruiting class.
Maryland did just pick up a quality 2022 recruit in Aiden Aitken.
As I pointed out in a post above, the top recruit's high schools were not really schools that Maryland does well with.
In the end, it looks like 17 of the top 50 recruits choose Ivy League schools - which are not really "lateral" schools to Maryland. Duke which is close to Ivy League picked up 4 top 50 recruits. Then you have the military academies, which picked up 4. So that is 25 of the top 50, going on moves that are not really "lateral" to Maryland.

Sometimes you will see a few top 50 kids going to schools like Loyola, Towson, Albany, Hofstra, ... but none of those schools have gotten any. While JHU has a number of 4 stars, they don't have a top 50 recruit. Denver has no top 50 recruits.
Just a strange year. A lot of recruits putting an emphasis on education.

I don't know that one can really say that Maryland's transfers have been the cause of Maryland's struggles with recruiting. UVa has a rather similar recruiting class.
Maryland did just pick up a quality 2022 recruit in Aiden Aitken.
As I pointed out in a post above, the top recruit's high schools were not really schools that Maryland does well with.
In the end, it looks like 17 of the top 50 recruits choose Ivy League schools - which are not really "lateral" schools to Maryland. Duke which is close to Ivy League picked up 4 top 50 recruits. Then you have the military academies, which picked up 4. So that is 25 of the top 50, going on moves that are not really "lateral" to Maryland.

Sometimes you will see a few top 50 kids going to schools like Loyola, Towson, Albany, Hofstra, ... but none of those schools have gotten any. While JHU has a number of 4 stars, they don't have a top 50 recruit. Denver has no top 50 recruits.
Just a strange year. A lot of recruits putting an emphasis on education.
I agree that you cannot say transfers is 100% the reason for a down Maryland recruiting year, especially with UVA struggling despite not being as transfer heavy, but at some point it has to have an effect.

We have hashed this out before, but MD has proven AA veteran offensive talent returning next year, despite the loss of Bernhardt. At least 5 guys fit that description and nobody is taking their spots barring injury. They also have a lot of promising young talent, maybe another 4 or 5 guys who are either very highly rated and/or had promising rookie campaigns with breakout potential. So in spite of all this talent Tillman immediately brings in 2 high end transfers in Donville and Khan, along with another potential breakout guy in Murphy.

That simply has to grab the attention of potential recruits. He has now done it two years in a row after bringing in Holden and Brown last year, so it's looking like a trend rather than a one-off to prospective recruits. Tillman had a list of 10 names on offense that most every team would kill to have and he said "what if I make it 13?" That would give me pause as a potential recruit even if I have no problem waiting my turn. At that point I am wondering if my turn will ever come. Good news for MD fans is they will be totally fine with all those guys, but I could see the actual recruiting classes continuing to suffer if he continues to bring in 2 or 3 guys every year.

Transfers absolutely do have an effect. Maryland is developing a certain reputation among recruits. They don't want to go to a place where they know they have very little chance of contributing as a freshman because the coach is bringing in tons of experienced guys from elsewhere. That's 1/4 of your college career already gone and getting on the field as a sophomore isn't a shoo-in either. Look at all the IL stars they have on the bench, particularly on offense. These kids expect to compete for spots right away.

Look at Rutgers. They just went to the quarterfinals. Their fans can't stop talking about how they're officially part of the club now and this is just the beginning of years of dominance. Except they're still not getting the recruits. Unless they clean up with these remaining uncommitted kids, they are on track to do worse than last year. That's despite their brand new facility and quarterfinalist bona fides.

Denver looks like they could be in a similar boat.

Kids are noticing. Meanwhile, look at who is doing the best this recruiting cycle. It's the teams that don't bring in transfers: The Ivies and Navy.

All of that being said, I can't really explain Virginia. I just think it was a weird year for them and they happened to miss out on some guys. Sometimes it happens. I would be surprised if it keeps going on.

I agree that you cannot say transfers is 100% the reason for a down Maryland recruiting year, especially with UVA struggling despite not being as transfer heavy, but at some point it has to have an effect.

We have hashed this out before, but MD has proven AA veteran offensive talent returning next year, despite the loss of Bernhardt. At least 5 guys fit that description and nobody is taking their spots barring injury. They also have a lot of promising young talent, maybe another 4 or 5 guys who are either very highly rated and/or had promising rookie campaigns with breakout potential. So in spite of all this talent Tillman immediately brings in 2 high end transfers in Donville and Khan, along with another potential breakout guy in Murphy.

That simply has to grab the attention of potential recruits. He has now done it two years in a row after bringing in Holden and Brown last year, so it's looking like a trend rather than a one-off to prospective recruits. Tillman had a list of 10 names on offense that most every team would kill to have and he said "what if I make it 13?" That would give me pause as a potential recruit even if I have no problem waiting my turn. At that point I am wondering if my turn will ever come. Good news for MD fans is they will be totally fine with all those guys, but I could see the actual recruiting classes continuing to suffer if he continues to bring in 2 or 3 guys every year.
It is fair to note that A.DeMaio wasn't expected to return until the middle of the summer, after Khan, Donville and Murphy had already committed.

As I have already pointed out this excess of 5th year seniors brought about by the 2020 season not counting toward eligibility, will be coming to an end when the 2023 class are freshmen.

It is also fair to note that you guys would be pretty happy if Khan, Donville, Murphy, and Prybylski were wearing Orange this year. This sounds like some version of "sour grapes" to me.

It is fair to note that A.DeMaio wasn't expected to return until the middle of the summer, after Khan, Donville and Murphy had already committed.

As I have already pointed out this excess of 5th year seniors brought about by the 2020 season not counting toward eligibility, will be coming to an end when the 2023 class are freshmen.

It is also fair to note that you guys would be pretty happy if Khan, Donville, Murphy, and Prybylski were wearing Orange this year. This sounds like some version of "sour grapes" to me.
Lol. We have interacted enough times where you should know there is nothing sour about it. Come on now. You know we would love to have Khan Murphy and Donville! But we also dont have nearly the same depth of talent returning on O. Scanlan Rehfuss and Trimboli are gone and depth was already an issue last year. I would say we have only 5 guys on O who are on the same level of the 9 or 10 top guys for MD this year, without including Khan Murphy and Donville. The rest of the options for Cuse are unfortunately far from guaranteed success.

For us those three would be a welcome boost for depth that we would need to be a guaranteed elite offense next year. For MD, a team with at least 9 or 10 quality weapons already, they will not have the same impact of taking the O from good to great, as it would almost definitely be great without them and there is only one ball. And with all those weapons there is a risk of stunting development of promising guys who will now not see much of the field, and scaring away young recruits because they don't want to have their shot at playing time taken by 2 or 3 transfers each year.

According to the IL recruiting database, there are 19 uncommitted four star recruits, and one five star (Ty Banks).

We all take the Inside Lacrosse rankings as the de facto recruiting standard, but with new services like NLF and Sirius, I wanted to get a sense of how the '23 class stacked up across all three services. It's a little hard since not all recruits are ranked, and each service ranked a different amount of kids (IL - 50; NLF - 90; Sirius; 66). I included how many stars each player was assigned if they were.

Rankings are as follows:
IL \\ NLF \\ Sirius

1. Donny Scott: #21 (4 star) \\ #19 (5 star) \\ #13
2. Trey Deere: #43 (4 star) \\ #49 (4 star) \\ #23
3. Tucker Kellog (4 star) \\ #29 (4 star) \\ #31
4. Jake Spallina (4 star) \\ #26 (4 star) \\ #59
5. Michale Ippoliti (4 star) \\ #23 (5 star) \\ NR
6. John Mullen (4 star) \\ (4 star) \\ NR
7. Tyler McCartney: NR \\ #69 (4 star) \\ NR
8. Quintan Kilrain: (4 star) \\ (4 star) \\ NR
9. Stevie Finnell: (4 star) \\ NR \\ NR

The names that jumps out the most to me is Ippoliti - a four star for IL and not ranked by Sirius, but a five star player according to NLF, and Kellogg, a former IL 5 star bumped to four (and out of the top 50), but still the 29th and 31st best player according to the other two services. Anyways, something to watch. As other players commit I'll keep this updated. And of course as we saw by Zach80 posting old rankings, these can shift pretty dramatically over time.

Of the three recruiting services, I would put the most stock in IL. Xanders watches the most high school lacrosse out of any human being on the planet, is well connected, and has been doing this for a long time.

Next I'd go with NLF. Chandik knows what he's doing, but they used to only rank kids who played for NLF affiliated clubs, so I'm worried a little bit about bias. Apparently they've opened the rankings up to everyone but they still don't seem to rank anyone who goes to high school in Canada. It's more concentrated on the hotbeds than IL. I get the sense their rankings are based heavily on only a couple of summer events.

I'd put the least stock into Sirius for obvious reasons. They're brand new and nobody knows who they are or how they are formulating their rankings. Also, the majority of their college predictions were off. So I'm not convinced they are super plugged in.

All in all, it's good that there are some differing opinions and it's not just IL anymore. Good for the sport if there are some discrepancies across the services.

I'm very curious how this played out. Did Shay strike out on FOGOs and then immediately try to poach someone else's? Or was this a case of the kid having second thoughts and acting on it quickly? Rare to see a flip happen this fast, especially from one Ivy to another.

I'm very curious how this played out. Did Shay strike out on FOGOs and then immediately try to poach someone else's? Or was this a case of the kid having second thoughts and acting on it quickly? Rare to see a flip happen this fast, especially from one Ivy to another.

Wow you’re right that has to be some kind of flip record. The pitch for Yale should be way stronger than Cornell’s now. Shay vs a young coach with no head coaching experience. Still pretty crazy he changed his commitment that quickly.

2021 Brogden Cup - U18 Haudenosaunee Boys vs U18 Ontario Boys

They have the games from this weekend up with Trey Deere, Finlay Thomson, Carter Kempney and McCool! This one with Canada and Iroquois is the only one I’ve seen so far. They are extremely short games which I didn’t exactly realize, so it is just a small taste. Also the feared bright and sunny day which has ruined many a highlight tape messes up the quality a little.

Still this game has an impressive showing from Deere and Thomson. Twister/btb goals from each of them. Thomson impresses mainly with his feeding ability and handle. Shows some nice vision on a few different passes in this one. Never needed to turn on the jets. Deere actually has some solid speed and burst in this one which does not always show in his indoor games. I am already on the bandwagon with both of these guys (the lawnmower in Deere’s case) and this did nothing to take me off.

2021 Brogden Cup - U18 Haudenosaunee Boys vs U18 Ontario Boys

They have the games from this weekend up with Trey Deere, Finlay Thomson, Carter Kempney and McCool! This one with Canada and Iroquois is the only one I’ve seen so far. They are extremely short games which I didn’t exactly realize, so it is just a small taste. Also the feared bright and sunny day which has ruined many a highlight tape messes up the quality a little.

Still this game has an impressive showing from Deere and Thomson. Twister/btb goals from each of them. Thomson impresses mainly with his feeding ability and handle. Shows some nice vision on a few different passes in this one. Never needed to turn on the jets. Deere actually has some solid speed and burst in this one which does not always show in his indoor games. I am already on the bandwagon with both of these guys (the lawnmower in Deere’s case) and this did nothing to take me off.
Deere goes off in USA vs HN.He’s very impressive!!!

All players listed in Inside Lacrosse's Top 50 Rising Juniors are now committed.