Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 21 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

not trying to be the “told you so guy” but I brought this up last week. It’s starting to get late early in the cycle and we’re sitting here with 3 commits, only one of whom(Kittleberger) is all that highly regarded.

Again, that’s not to say the other 2 players don’t turn out or be better that Kittleberger, but you cannot expect to compete in the conference they are in without the talent.

Have to start winning some battles soon. Sounds like some promising news is on the way, that will be much needed.

Yeah, I've tried to stay positive, but when compared to the other ACC schools, it does not look great right now. I don't usually expect to do as well as the other ACCs in an average recruiting cycle (2020 not withstanding), but it's got to be better than this. Hoping that SU is in the thick of it with some highly ranked players and things will see a boost soon.

Below are the rankings and "stars" that ACC teams have picked up so far.

Duke: #6, #11, #23 #37, #43 (two 5 stars, four 4 stars)
UVA: #13, #31, #36, #46 (one 5 star, four 4 stars)
UNC: #7, #12, #20, #30 (two 5 stars, four 4 stars)
Notre Dame: #8, #17, #19, #33, #48 (three 5 stars, four 4 stars)
Syracuse: (one 4 star, two 3 stars)

at least youre not rutgers. this was another loaded year for NJ (drago, pedicano, frers, kelly, marra, popham, sabel, scioletti, all the lawrenceville kids) and id be surprised if they land any of them. rutgers is not really recruiting any better than schools like drexel and hofstra. no more covid transfers to save them next year

Yeah, I've tried to stay positive, but when compared to the other ACC schools, it does not look great right now. I don't usually expect to do as well as the other ACCs in an average recruiting cycle (2020 not withstanding), but it's got to be better than this. Hoping that SU is in the thick of it with some highly ranked players and things will see a boost soon.

We will get our guys. We know we are going to hear about a couple prominent names soon and other guys are certainly in the works. Proven recruiter on staff already in Pat March and Odierna looking to prove himself as well. Still too much impatience here. Fear mongering this time of year gets out of hand. One or two prominent names and everyone will breathe a little. The cavalry is coming. Also worth remembering that the roster right now is insanely stacked and has the potential to match up with everyone in the ACC this upcoming season. Show we belong this year and we will be fine in the long term. I am not worried at all.

So with the Filardi commit is there a second one that is suppose to announce or was it just him?

Not going to be Ty Xanders or Chris Jastrzembski and spill the beans before the young man has the opportunity to make his notifications but I will say it’s a player that hasn’t been discussed here as far as I know and a IL Top 50. Hopefully we are just getting started.
Presumably, this commit’s still not public.

Interesting that all four recruits so far have been on defense. I thought that area would be slow going given Odierna’s newness, so credit to him for hitting the ground running. The last few years have been a little light in that department so that might be why there is more of a focus (five long poles, two goalies and a ssdm combined across the ‘23 and ‘24 classes). Hopefully the offensive side starts adding some difference makers soon.

Interesting that all four recruits so far have been on defense. I thought that area would be slow going given Odierna’s newness, so credit to him for hitting the ground running. The last few years have been a little light in that department so that might be why there is more of a focus (five long poles, two goalies and a ssdm combined across the ‘23 and ‘24 classes). Hopefully the offensive side starts adding some difference makers soon.

SU went after a couple of high end O guys who went elsewhere in Drago and I believe the middie from Rye. I know they are in on Raio and a few others. There a couple of top end 5 star O guys left but don't believe SU is in on any of those guys ie Millon, Maher etc.

The team has been the last two years. Think we will have a good season. May need to hit the portal for a couple years until get back to championship weekend.

SU went after a couple of high end O guys who went elsewhere in Drago and I believe the middie from Rye. I know they are in on Raio and a few others. There a couple of top end 5 star O guys left but don't believe SU is in on any of those guys ie Millon, Maher etc.
raio has uva, unc, maryland, and multiple ivies sniffing around. it's a battle. if he lands at cuse it will be well earned

raio has uva, unc, maryland, and multiple ivies sniffing around. it's a battle. if he lands at cuse it will be well earned
Is there anyone you expect or “should” commit here?

For sure, he's got a bunch of options and could end up at any of those schools.

IMG_6051.jpeg

Irish land another strong one, bah humbug

So, obviously, a big part of Cuse’s historical success was based on local/NY recruits, a tremendous number of those coming from Section 3. So the question is, what has happened to Section 3 lacrosse that it’s no longer turning out high numbers of D1 players?

One has to figure UVa is in the running for both Millon and Merrill, and that is why they haven't signed many offensive players.

So, obviously, a big part of Cuse’s historical success was based on local/NY recruits, a tremendous number of those coming from Section 3. So the question is, what has happened to Section 3 lacrosse that it’s no longer turning out high numbers of D1 players?

Sec 3 isi in a long term rut right now. They are still producing quality recruits but mostly D2 and lower level D1 guys. Sec 3 and the surrounding area used to produced probably 6-10 higher end D1 recruits a year, now its more like 2 or 3. Losing players to prep schools has also taken a bit off a toll.

My guess would be prep schools

Prep schools & the pay to play youth model that’s becoming more and more prominent

Sec 3 isi in a long term rut right now. They are still producing quality recruits but mostly D2 and lower level D1 guys. Sec 3 and the surrounding area used to produced probably 6-10 higher end D1 recruits a year, now its more like 2 or 3. Losing players to prep schools has also taken a bit off a toll.
I was afraid prep schools were the reason. Bad coaching at the youth levels can be corrected/rooted out. Not much anyone can do about the prep schools. That’s unfortunate.

I was afraid prep schools were the reason. Bad coaching at the youth levels can be corrected/rooted out. Not much anyone can do about the prep schools. That’s unfortunate.
You have to consider the same “good” coaches who used to coach for their community youth associations are more opting for a club setting like Orange Crush/True Upstate/Sweelax/315 Elite etc due to $$$ so those paying for those clubs get the benefit

You have to consider the same “good” coaches who used to coach for their community youth associations are more opting for a club setting like Orange Crush/True Upstate/Sweelax/315 Elite etc due to $$$ so those paying for those clubs get the benefit
Fair. I hated coaching club, so I guess I put my blinders on to your point.