Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 22 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

I have no inside info, but given the several connections our offensive transfers and recruits have to the indoor game, I suspect we make some moves north of the border. There is plenty of talent there with elite potential no matter the version of the game. That is quite clear watching the OJLL. Recent uptick in Canadian and Native American talent coming our way will only help us going forward on the offensive end. We have a style of play that they will want to be a part of. We have made the moves already on the defensive end. Couple good ones on O and the class is in good shape for now.

Fair. I hated coaching club, so I guess I put my blinders on to your point.
Other issue is that the game has moved away from being exclusively NY, LI and Baltimore. Look at ND and Dukes' last 3 classes - yes they source a lot from the traditional hotbeds but also are littered with Florida, California, Illinois, North Carolina, Colorado, and Texas kids. Cuse is literally 90% NY, with some Baltimore and Massachusetts. Don't know the reason - are the coaches not interested or the recruits?

The game is played literally everywhere now. It may be hard to put together a consistently competitive team only sourcing from a few hotbeds.

Other issue is that the game has moved away from being exclusively NY, LI and Baltimore. Look at ND and Dukes' last 3 classes - yes they source a lot from the traditional hotbeds but also are littered with Florida, California, Illinois, North Carolina, Colorado, and Texas kids. Cuse is literally 90% NY, with some Baltimore and Massachusetts. Don't know the reason - are the coaches not interested or the recruits?

The game is played literally everywhere now. It may be hard to put together a consistently competitive team only sourcing from a few hotbeds.

Your right about the game becoming more nationalized and it's been moving that way for a good decade +. However, your point about SU's roster being 90% NY and little from non hot beds is not entirely accurate. SU has previously brought in kids from all over including Texas, California, Oregon, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Indiana etc and was one of the first blue blood programs to really recruit outside of the NE.

The current roster is NY and the surrounding area heavy but they also have players from Florida, North Carolina, multiple regions in Canada, Georgia, California, New Hampshire, Texas etc.

This one is frustrating. Given club connections and that he's a NY state public school product, I thought SU might have a decent chance. Hard to compete against a defending National Champion obviously. I don't watch a ton of high school high light videos but his jumped off the page to me. Bummer.

View attachment 231379

Irish land another strong one, bah humbug

Fact Check:
Syracuse has like 22 out of 60 from NY on the fall roster

This one is frustrating. Given club connections and that he's a NY state public school product, I thought SU might have a decent chance. Hard to compete against a defending National Champion obviously. I don't watch a ton of high school high light videos but his jumped off the page to me. Bummer.

Yup they have really capitalized on the title, even though they were recruiting well before obviously they seemed to have upped it another level.

I knew growing the game was a bad idea!

Fact Check:
Syracuse has like 22 out of 60 from NY on the fall roster
If I wasn't clear, I meant the 23-25 classes. Ok, maybe not 90% NY, but like 65-70%. I think I see one "non-traditional" from FL, and he's at prep school. Again, don't know if it's good/bad/otherwise, just different from some other top tier. FWIW, Virginia seems similarly locked into traditional areas.

If I wasn't clear, I meant the 23-25 classes. Ok, maybe not 90% NY, but like 65-70%. I think I see one "non-traditional" from FL, and he's at prep school. Again, don't know if it's good/bad/otherwise, just different from some other top tier. FWIW, Virginia seems similarly locked into traditional areas.
Oh. Isn't Donny Scott originally from Georgia?
The 2025 class is still pretty incomplete.

When one looks at the Syracuse fall roster, there are like 9 Canadians. Maryland doesn't have a fall ball roster up, but I'm thinking that Maryland will have 6 players from Florida and Georgia (with the addition of transfer Canfield from Vermont). Once you remove these groups from each roster, things will be pretty much the same for out-of-hotbed - probably Syracuse will have more.

So, obviously, a big part of Cuse’s historical success was based on local/NY recruits, a tremendous number of those coming from Section 3. So the question is, what has happened to Section 3 lacrosse that it’s no longer turning out high numbers of D1 players?

In addition to the prior good replies to your question, I would add stick skills are less of a differentiator in today’s game.

Some might say that’s because more kids play at earlier ages but I blame stick technology (narrow sidewalls, deep pockets, etc.).

The game has become too much of a “bigger, faster, stronger” competition for me because the ball is too rarely on the ground.

Hard for a smaller population area like CNY to keep up talent production in sports that are increasingly defined by “bigger, faster, stronger” players.

They have several 5 stars committed.

DMV - any word on any more commits announcing? Thought a few days ago you said you had to double check. Thanks.

There still seems to be a few Top 50 recruits I could see being interested in the Orange, but every time I seem to mention one they commit somewhere else. So I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

DMV - any word on any more commits announcing? Thought a few days ago you said you had to double check. Thanks.

There still seems to be a few Top 50 recruits I could see being interested in the Orange, but every time I seem to mention one they commit somewhere else. So I'll keep my thoughts to myself.

I know SU is after a couple of higher end O guys and putting in serious effort ie Raio and a few others. However, as nyclax noted there is considerable competition there so it's going to be a long effort and no guarantees.

His club coach was a long time SU volunteer assistant. Curious if SU just has someone else in mind they want for faceoffs? This kid seems very accomplished. All five and four star FOGOs are committed now.

His club coach was a long time SU volunteer assistant. Curious if SU just has someone else in mind they want for faceoffs? This kid seems very accomplished. All five and four star FOGOs are committed now.

Albany area kid. Just transferred to AOF from CBA. He's the second Albany area fogo to commit. Swinnie, who has been at Albany Academy (just transferred to Lawrenceville) committed to Hopkins.

Lot's of strong Albany area players have been heading off to prep schools and have been competing for out-of-area clubs.

Not sure what the strategy is but with Mullen this year and Aneglo next year it maybe that FOGO in 25 isn't as big a concern with those 2 guys already in the fold plus Kohn potentially having another year of eligibility. Although I could be mistaken.

The lacrosse recruiting game and landscape has changed. Starting with the transfer portal, it is much easier to let someone develop at a low D1, D2 or D3 program than develop them yourselves and risk losing seasons.
Reclassifying has gotten out of hand. Look no further than the CBA- Syracuse defenseman who just transferred to Salisbury. He will be a 18 year old freshman or sophomore next year. It is very hard to compete as a 15/16 year old against more developed kids.
Recruiting today is as follows- transfer portal, Sept 1 prep (reclassified kids), then the top 100 kids in the country.
Once that group has been exhausted, coaches then turn their attention to the standard juniors from High School programs. We should see movement with recruitment of the current HS Juniors early November to the end of this upcoming spring season. This is where you will begin to see commitments from the local section 3 lacrosse athletes and many of them will initially commit to low D1, D2 and top D3 programs with the potential to grow into potential top tier lacrosse athletes after a few more years of growth and strength and conditioning.

The English family certainly puts a high emphasis on academics.

So they’ll have sons playing at SU, UNC, & Hop next year & potentially the following year if Sam decides to take his 6th year hear. Then, come the ‘26 season, it’s possibly UNC, Hop, & Brown.

There’s going to be at least 3 games this coming season pitting 2 brothers against each other & that’s not even counting potential ACC/NCAA tourney matchups.