Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 24 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

UNC recruiting since their 2016 championship is a story of insanely high rated recruiting classes despite a near total lack of results on the field. Take away the 2021/short 2020 season and their win loss record since then is almost literally at .500. No bueno. Despite that this class barely even stands out from past ones. Their attack line this year will be made up of two recruits in the top two of their respective classes, among other high rated talent. UNC has other desirable qualities as a school that clearly help to land recruits despite the teams overall bad results. That and Breshi himself is a personable head coach who clearly can sell the program. They are killing it this year but they kill it almost every year, and then waste all the talent.

the difference is breschi has never been on the hot seat like he is now. not even close. he was extremely close to getting fired a few months ago before he was forced to let metzbower go and demote unterstein as part of a symbolic "turn the ship around or else" 3-year extension (which is really more like 1 or 2 years max, the school will eat the last year or two if they show no improvement). in situations like this it's usually tough to recruit no matter who you are or what sport you're in. so yes, their success this cycle in particular has been surprising and at least part of that is prob due to petro being able to spin a certain narrative for families

the difference is breschi has never been on the hot seat like he is now. not even close. he was extremely close to getting fired a few months ago before he was forced to let metzbower go and demote unterstein as part of a symbolic "turn the ship around or else" 3-year extension (which is really more like 1 or 2 years max, the school will eat the last year or two if they show no improvement). in situations like this it's usually tough to recruit no matter who you are or what sport you're in. so yes, their success this cycle in particular has been surprising and at least part of that is prob due to petro being able to spin a certain narrative for families
These kids can also still change their minds. If Carolina has a crap year and Breschi gets fired, they can re-open their recruitment. It’s risky since classes fill, but the top players will always be welcome somewhere.

Is it possible they know Petro will take over if Breschi is let go.. just wondering

Is it possible they know Petro will take over if Breschi is let go.. just wondering
Would be quite the gamble on UNCs part if that is the case. Already seems like a pretty insane move to hire Petro as your hot seat/get better right now coach. Guy went from being fired by Hopkins to two years coaching a not good at all defense for Syracuse. Just don't see how he can get an ACC head coaching job without showing some actual quality results on the field and that his best years are not behind him. Recruiting is only one part of the equation. If you are in an "adapt or die" situation I do not think he is a good hire at all. He needs a big year on defense this year or I would say there is no way it happens.

Well that was unexpected.

Feel like there have been so many Mahers that it is not worth it asking who he’s related to. We had a mahar committed to us at one point but I doubt he is related

It doesn't really surprise me that much. Bullis kid going Ivy League

Ha, I read it as Penn State initially, but I still find it surprising I guess. Perhaps I was getting used to all the top 10 kids committing to ACC schools (and MD). Penn has been doing well recently recruiting, especially the class they have coming in this year (four top 50 recruits). They did it with Leo Hoffman so perhaps not so random after all. I figured UNC would be in for him as they have recent success with DC are recruits.

Feel like there have been so many Mahers that it is not worth it asking who he’s related to. We had a mahar committed to us at one point but I doubt he is related

Russ Maher was from Mt. Sinai. Decommitted from 'Cuse for UVA then transferred to Hopkins and didn't play for them. Reminded me a lot of Mike Leveille. There is also Conor Maher from UNC (on the Archers now) but I don't beleive he is related to Jackson either.

wharton will always appeal to elite lax players. doesnt matter how mediocre the program has been for 30 years or how badly they squandered a generational player in sam handley

Is this top 5 attackman that Hopkins was in for? If not that would leave Michael Ortlieb from Malvern.

Is this top 5 attackman that Hopkins was in for? If not that would leave Michael Ortlieb from Malvern.
no that was higgins. i meant top 5 attackmen, not top 5 overall. but i dont know where things stand now, that was info from a few weeks ago

ortlieb is my favorite player in the class. i think hes going to be better than millon. depends on the situation he enters of course but all things being equal id put money on him having the best college career