Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 28 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

There is still a lot of good 4 stars left.. if we can snag a few of them we would be up to par with the last 2 cycles

Disappointed by the Raio news. He looks like he'll be a great player. Stings especially to lose him to old friend Petro. I do worry a bit that the coaches have been so focused on a few highly rated kids that they've let other, maybe more attainable players get away to other programs. There are a number of kids that verbaled to Ohio State, say, that seem like they would have been a good fit for the Orange. Other top teams have been able to bring in top kids while waiting out the most highly ranked players, so I may be overthinking this.

Like Laxfanshutt points out there is still time on the clock, and lots of good players left to recruit. Just because a kid is ranked as a three or four star kid doesn't mean they will stay that way. The fabled 2022 class had a bunch of kids who improved their stock over time. Luke Rhoa went from a 3 star to number 24. When both Finn Thomson and Riley Figuerias committed they were 4 stars. They became top 10 players in the class, and the top players at their positional groups. Yes, this group was harder to evaluate because of the pandemic, but it still goes to show that you can find good players that aren't automatically 5 star players.
I'm certainly not thrilled by where we stand in terms of recruiting the '25s but I also don't fully understand the negativity that is coming from this thread. SU just pulled the transfer class that will directly help our chances next season. Perhaps that raised expectations for what we could do this fall. I think it's fair to be a little bit frustrated, but some of this stuff is over the top. Let's at least wait until the class is full before we start making grand pronouncements.

Disappointed by the Raio news. He looks like he'll be a great player. Stings especially to lose him to old friend Petro. I do worry a bit that the coaches have been so focused on a few highly rated kids that they've let other, maybe more attainable players get away to other programs. There are a number of kids that verbaled to Ohio State, say, that seem like they would have been a good fit for the Orange.
bingo. ohio state is a really good comp for cuse. they recruit from a similar batch of kids although osu obviously focuses more on the midwest. hogan and watson both could have ended up in orange but for whatever reason did not

the truth is cuse has more in common with osu, psu, mich, denver, rutgers, army, cornell to some extent just because of location, than its acc comrades. uva/unc/duke/nd has turned into their own bubble. they all go after the same exact kids. nd is a minor outlier as they also target some more midwest/western kids that a uva may not. but in general if a recruit is considering duke you can almost guarantee hes also looking at unc, uva, nd, maybe an ivy or hopkins or a gtown. but its all the same

I can’t seem to find any ratings for Canadian prospects, and I would imagine there are a few that can compete at a high D1 that are not listed by IL/NLF. Anyone with insight on that? Who does the Hill have in their ranks currently that is uncommitted? I would have to think Gait being in Canada a ton this summer watching box will turn out some recruits

I can’t seem to find any ratings for Canadian prospects, and I would imagine there are a few that can compete at a high D1 that are not listed by IL/NLF. Anyone with insight on that? Who does the Hill have in their ranks currently that is uncommitted? I would have to think Gait being in Canada a ton this summer watching box will turn out some recruits
its a light year for canadian talent. there is no finn thomson or matt collison. sawyer english was prob the best one. the best defenseman i believe is going to hop. dylan sanderson is good and still uncommitted. theres a kid named treysen stewart at culver who is solid. stocky lefty handed attackman

next years class will be better

Yesterday was prospect day at the Hill academy it’s also says in another post that coaches from Cornell Detroit-Mercy and Mercyhurst worked it time will tell

bingo. ohio state is a really good comp for cuse. they recruit from a similar batch of kids although osu obviously focuses more on the midwest. hogan and watson both could have ended up in orange but for whatever reason did not

the truth is cuse has more in common with osu, psu, mich, denver, rutgers, army, cornell to some extent just because of location, than its acc comrades. uva/unc/duke/nd has turned into their own bubble. they all go after the same exact kids. nd is a minor outlier as they also target some more midwest/western kids that a uva may not. but in general if a recruit is considering duke you can almost guarantee hes also looking at unc, uva, nd, maybe an ivy or hopkins or a gtown. but its all the same
This is the big thing that gets lost in the shuffle. A lot of focus on ND/Duke/UNC/UVA, but that's just part of the equation. Those schools always offered something different from Cuse. Schools like OSU and PSU offer a lot of the same things Cuse does on the non-lax side of things, but could never have realistically offered a comparable lax experience. The creation of the B1G combined with Cuse's relative drop changed all that. Although Michigan offers better academics, I'd say they also probably fit into this battleground given they are still ascending as a lax program.

I think OSU in particular is a great comp, and you can see it in their up and down performances on the field and in recruiting. For example, they are off to a great start in the 2025 cycle compared to Cuse, but if you look at their 2024 class it's very thin.

Disappointed by the Raio news. He looks like he'll be a great player. Stings especially to lose him to old friend Petro. I do worry a bit that the coaches have been so focused on a few highly rated kids that they've let other, maybe more attainable players get away to other programs. There are a number of kids that verbaled to Ohio State, say, that seem like they would have been a good fit for the Orange. Other top teams have been able to bring in top kids while waiting out the most highly ranked players, so I may be overthinking this.

Like Laxfanshutt points out there is still time on the clock, and lots of good players left to recruit. Just because a kid is ranked as a three or four star kid doesn't mean they will stay that way. The fabled 2022 class had a bunch of kids who improved their stock over time. Luke Rhoa went from a 3 star to number 24. When both Finn Thomson and Riley Figuerias committed they were 4 stars. They became top 10 players in the class, and the top players at their positional groups. Yes, this group was harder to evaluate because of the pandemic, but it still goes to show that you can find good players that aren't automatically 5 star players.
I'm certainly not thrilled by where we stand in terms of recruiting the '25s but I also don't fully understand the negativity that is coming from this thread. SU just pulled the transfer class that will directly help our chances next season. Perhaps that raised expectations for what we could do this fall. I think it's fair to be a little bit frustrated, but some of this stuff is over the top. Let's at least wait until the class is full before we start making grand pronouncements.

Agreed, while I understand going after Raio and our friend from NJ you hope the staff has/had some plan B options in mind and didn't lose out on some great recurits to OSU, PSU etc because we were trying to land the cream of the crop.

I would also note SU is likely to go after some additional kids now and its a long year + to signing day, I expect a number of flips.

its a light year for canadian talent. there is no finn thomson or matt collison. sawyer english was prob the best one. the best defenseman i believe is going to hop. dylan sanderson is good and still uncommitted. theres a kid named treysen stewart at culver who is solid. stocky lefty handed attackman

next years class will be better

Hopefully some diamonds in the rough up north… I see the Hill has Carter Drynan who seems to be decently rated by IL at Pole, 6’5” 210 already so perhaps there is some interest from the Orange there? Played with Donny too

Would also shout out Tousaw getting OCC back in order and hopefully sending Cuse some strong fill ins during this class cycle when it gets here

On the Hill roster there are two D kids named Drynan.. I’m assuming they’re twins.. Charles and Carter.. Charles has 3 stars no score..
Carter has no star rating but has an 85 score and is 6’5”” 210 lbs
That’s big

G
Hopefully some diamonds in the rough up north… I see the Hill has Carter Drynan who seems to be decently rated by IL at Pole, 6’5” 210 already so perhaps there is some interest from the Orange there? Played with Donny too

Would also shout out Tousaw getting OCC back in order and hopefully sending Cuse some strong fill ins during this class cycle when it gets here
Guess we were looking at the same kids.. lol

Dylan Sanderson plays for the Northmen so I’m quite sure he is well known
His brother Cam (Hill ‘22) is a redshirt Frosh for PSU. Below is his bio.

PERSONAL
Parents are Josh and Lindsay Anderson…Has one younger sister, Ashley, and two younger brothers, Dylan and Owen…Father played 19 seasons in the NLL and is currently an assistant coach with the San Diego Seals…Cousin, Chris Sanderson, played lacrosse at Virginia…Cousin, Phil Sanderson, played 14 seasons in the NLL.

This is the big thing that gets lost in the shuffle. A lot of focus on ND/Duke/UNC/UVA, but that's just part of the equation. Those schools always offered something different from Cuse. Schools like OSU and PSU offer a lot of the same things Cuse does on the non-lax side of things, but could never have realistically offered a comparable lax experience. The creation of the B1G combined with Cuse's relative drop changed all that. Although Michigan offers better academics, I'd say they also probably fit into this battleground given they are still ascending as a lax program.

I think OSU in particular is a great comp, and you can see it in their up and down performances on the field and in recruiting. For example, they are off to a great start in the 2025 cycle compared to Cuse, but if you look at their 2024 class it's very thin.
Never understand the academic comparisons offered on this forum. SU always compares badly to Michigan?????, PSU?????, Rutgers????, OSU?????, Notre Dame?????, and on and on. SU is a fine private school. Have posters studied these schools in depth or are the comparisons coming from some Venutian limbic system? I cannot question these opinions because I do not know the schools well enough. But c'mon.

Random, but does anyone know what the deal is with Culver and Syracuse? Seems so strange that we've had a grand total of two players come here, from there straight from high school (Hiltz and David Dilts), but have had a number of transfers now from there (Simmons, English, Stevens and Cohen). I figured our best chance was Christian Hogan from Auburn but of course he committed to OSU. Perhaps there is nothing to it, just seems like a place that SU would be recruiting more heavily, especially considering March brought a ton of kids from there to Princeton while he was there.

I should not do this because it seems like every name I do bring up, they go somewhere else, but some names I have my eye on are. All are 4 stars according to IL. -

Alex Bauer - Midfield - Cold Spring Harbor
Ben Boyer - LSM/Defense - Highland Park (TX)
John Buttafuoco - Defense - Brunswick
Jack Frers - Attack - Ridgefield (NJ)
Danny Kolin, Attack, Manhasset
Connor Kuttin, Attack, Chaminade
Joey Levenberg - Midfield - Torrey Pines (CA)
Gavin Lynch, Midfield, Chaminade
Hudson McCarthy, Attack, Boys Latin
Jackson Mitchell - Midfield - Calvert Hall
Braydon Pike - Midfield - Hilton High School (NY)
Cameron Prior - Midfield - Staples (CT)
Chase Stensby - Midfield - Culver
Tryson Stewart - Attack - Culver
Matthew Triolo - Attack - John Glenn (NY)
Adam Udell - Attack - Staples (CT)

Random, but does anyone know what the deal is with Culver and Syracuse? Seems so strange that we've had a grand total of two players come here, from there straight from high school (Hiltz and David Dilts), but have had a number of transfers now from there (Simmons, English, Stevens and Cohen). I figured our best chance was Christian Hogan from Auburn but of course he committed to OSU. Perhaps there is nothing to it, just seems like a place that SU would be recruiting more heavily, especially considering March brought a ton of kids from there to Princeton while he was there.

I should not do this because it seems like every name I do bring up, they go somewhere else, but some names I have my eye on are. All are 4 stars according to IL. -

Nice….I was waiting for your list

Never understand the academic comparisons offered on this forum. SU always compares badly to Michigan?????, PSU?????, Rutgers????, OSU?????, Notre Dame?????, and on and on. SU is a fine private school. Have posters studied these schools in depth or are the comparisons coming from some Venutian limbic system? I cannot question these opinions because I do not know the schools well enough. But c'mon.
Michigan and Notre Dame are a step above academically generally speaking. The others have quality programs in certain areas that can stack up or surpass these schools, but on average, UM and ND are considered stronger academic institutions.

The likes of Cuse and PSU are perfectly good schools (again, great schools in certain programs/degrees), and a smart person will still have the resources to achieve all of the post-college success they are looking for. But just ignoring the actual nuts and bolts of the academics, reputation alone is a significant factor. The doors that a more prestigious name on the resume opens for you makes things significantly easier. And Notre Dame is certainly a more prestigious name than Cuse on a resume.

Michigan and Notre Dame are a step above academically generally speaking. The others have quality programs in certain areas that can stack up or surpass these schools, but on average, UM and ND are considered stronger academic institutions.

The likes of Cuse and PSU are perfectly good schools (again, great schools in certain programs/degrees), and a smart person will still have the resources to achieve all of the post-college success they are looking for. But just ignoring the actual nuts and bolts of the academics, reputation alone is a significant factor. The doors that a more prestigious name on the resume opens for you makes things significantly easier. And Notre Dame is certainly a more prestigious name than Cuse on a resume.
Penn State has the largest alumni base in the country. Penn Staters hire Penn Staters. So there’s that, too.

you can scratch kuttin off

i havent heard much about the others. danny kolin is a player i love who'd fit in well but i dont know his academic ambitions

so it's all based on opinion? or reputation? I know several ND graduates who might disagree with opinion.

you can scratch kuttin off

i havent heard much about the others. danny kolin is a player i love who'd fit in well but i dont know his academic ambitions

As a faculty member at Syracuse, I have some insight into the academic side of SU. We have some great programs that are significantly better than the institutions mentioned here. The flaw in our thinking is we want to compare universities. The real value isn't so much at the university level, as it is in the degree program the student athlete will be enrolled. Therefore, we need to compare degree programs. We have programs that rank consistently in the top 5 nationally. By example, should I send my child to ND, an Ivy, UVA or Duke if he wants to major in Journalism, Information Management, Public Policy or Physics? There would be no way. Our programs are rated academicly superior year after year.

Syracuse, historically, gets a bad rap when it comes to academics. This seems odd to me because many of my faculty colleagues teaching our courses and doing research came from these other institutions. It begs the question, are these faculty members from these so-called better schools not very good?