Recruiting 2023-2025 | Page 27 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting 2023-2025

what do you want them to do. there are certain intangibles that make other schools more appealing to recruits unless cuse has a specific program (newhouse) you're interested in. but location, weather, cost, academics...uva unc duke win that 9 times out of 10. the advantage cuse has is history and tradition but it's going to take winning again to remind kids of that. compared to 75% of teams cuse still recruits at a high level but the only comparison that really matters is to the rest of the acc

Agreed, I don't know where some of these guy came from recently but its not 1998 or 2006, landscape has shifted, SU is working to get back on top. As I have noted about a half dozen times know the 2020 class was an outlier, SU hasn't recruited like that in a while and the last few classes have been solid but not on that level. This years class is still being worked out but is close to being on par to the last 2 with a couple more 4 stars. Until SU makes a few deep runs again were gonna struggle to match UVA/Duke/ND pound for pound.

if it's any consolation, i dont even think cuse was the runner up

LOL, it's some. I know he had a ton of big time offers and would be a battle but had heard SU felt it would be right there. Unfortunate for sure, but the competition for these elite guys is fierce.

Really glad we lost Petro. Was told by many he was running the whole show while at SU. SULAXHOLIC types, clueless to the reality of this program and lacrosse landscape. Get to work Mr. Gait, it is called hitting the interstate 95 corridor all day, everyday from June to August. If not, might as well wave the white flag.

what do you want them to do. there are certain intangibles that make other schools more appealing to recruits unless cuse has a specific program (newhouse) you're interested in. but location, weather, cost, academics...uva unc duke win that 9 times out of 10. the advantage cuse has is history and tradition but it's going to take winning again to remind kids of that. compared to 75% of teams cuse still recruits at a high level but the only comparison that really matters is to the rest of the acc
Cancel the program then I guess. Your right what else can you do?

It is going to take for the head coach to recruit 24/7. Is this happening?? SU will not just "start winning again" without top recruits. As of this class - distant, distant 5th place in ACC. Unacceptable. I truly think this staff had no idea to the challenge in front of them.

Agreed, I don't know where some of these guy came from recently but its not 1998 or 2006, landscape has shifted, SU is working to get back on top. As I have noted about a half dozen times know the 2020 class was an outlier, SU hasn't recruited like that in a while and the last few classes have been solid but not on that level. This years class is still being worked out but is close to being on par to the last 2 with a couple more 4 stars. Until SU makes a few deep runs again were gonna struggle to match UVA/Duke/ND pound for pound.
You don't make "deep runs" without getting the talent - it comes first obviously. Geesh.

This is true, but it's more simple than this. Rich folks from the Northeast been sending their kids to Duke, Notre Dame, and Virginia for a long time now. Lacrosse is a rich kid sport based in the Northeast. It follows those programs would get the best recruits.

Nobody from Fairfield County is sending their kid to Cuse for $60k per year when they can go to those other schools for the same price.

You don't make "deep runs" without getting the talent - it comes first obviously. Geesh.

Dude I hope your a hopkins fan trolling because if not I have major concerns about how you think things work at this level. No one just gets elite level talent without results first. SU is coming off back to back seasons of failing to make the NCAA tourney and hasn't made a run passed the first round since I think 2016. To expect them to battle pound for pound with ND who just won their first title with publicity out the whazzo, or UVA/Duke/Maryland who have been the top end schools the past decade or so recruiting is ludicrous. Could this years class be better of course, SU lost out on several guys they wanted and lost their best recuiter in Petro a month and a half before recruiting opened up. That said Freeking out about kids who won't even step on campus for two more years isn't gonna help.

The current SU team is primed for a big year this season and hopefully at least a run to the quarters. Should hat happen it will definitely have an impact on 2026.

You've made your point about how you feel the class is going this year, we get it. Continuing to harp on it every time a recruit goes elsewhere and calling out other posters isn't going to end well for you with the mods here especially with orange79

Dude I hope your a hopkins fan trolling because if not I have major concerns about how you think things work at this level. No one just gets elite level talent without results first. SU is coming off back to back seasons of failing to make the NCAA tourney and hasn't made a run passed the first round since I think 2016. To expect them to battle pound for pound with ND who just won their first title with publicity out the whazzo, or UVA/Duke/Maryland who have been the top end schools the past decade or so recruiting is ludicrous. Could this years class be better of course, SU lost out on several guys they wanted and lost their best recuiter in Petro a month and a half before recruiting opened up. That said Freeking out about kids who won't even step on campus for two more years isn't gonna help.

The current SU team is primed for a big year this season and hopefully at least a run to the quarters. Should hat happen it will definitely have an impact on 2026.

You've made your point about how you feel the class is going this year, we get it. Continuing to harp on it every time a recruit goes elsewhere and calling out other posters isn't going to end well for you with the mods here especially with orange79
Yes call mom for help with the mods. Anyway, we have a coach that is in his mid 50's that has not been involved in the men's game at the college level. Is he going to go out and recruit and put the time in - like all others in the acc do? He was not while Petro was here. Grab a chair Mr. Gait, vacation is over.

Yes call mom for help with the mods. Anyway, we have a coach that is in his mid 50's that has not been involved in the men's game at the college level. Is he going to go out and recruit and put the time in - like all others in the acc do? He was not while Petro was here. Grab a chair Mr. Gait, vacation is over.

This is Gait's third year now I think he understands the mens game and the difficulties recruiting, might be why he just pulled in the top end transfer class to supplement where we need help. If he can't get SU back to the tourney and making runs and improving recruiting in the next 2-3 years he will be let go just like any coach would at any other top end D1 program.

I don't need any help with the mods my point was if your gonna throw a tantrum every time a recruit goes elsewhere your gonna get banned its not rocket science.

Syracuse needs to and should dominate Canada I believe this is Gary’s intention with him coaching the U-20 Canadian team. I really like this years team I think they are built to win now on paper how that works out in season is definitely yet to be seen. I agree with NYC that if Syracuse can reestablish itself as a title contender doors will open on the recruiting front. I also don’t think Syracuse is going to be a destination for alot of prep school kids

So . . . given all of the above on how well, or not, we're doing in recruiting this year, how is all this going to be affected by the current rumored "imminent" defections from the ACC of NC & Va, leaving along with Clemson & FSU? See the ACC, etc./Conference Realignment Thread on the Football Board. Assuming the ACC stays in existence, that would leave just SU, Duke, and ND (assuming they stay) as ACC Mens lacrosse programs. Not enough for a LAX Conference. Do they all go independent? Join another LAX Conference, like The Big East, or another? Or do something else? How would that affect recruiting? And the success of the Syracuse Mens Lacrosse Program? Thoughts?

So . . . given all of the above on how well, or not, we're doing in recruiting this year, how is all this going to be affected by the current rumored "imminent" defections from the ACC of NC & Va, leaving along with Clemson & FSU? See the ACC, etc./Conference Realignment Thread on the Football Board. Assuming the ACC stays in existence, that would leave just SU, Duke, and ND (assuming they stay) as ACC Mens lacrosse programs. Not enough for a LAX Conference. Do they all go independent? Join another LAX Conference, like The Big East, or another? Or do something else? How would that affect recruiting? And the success of the Syracuse Mens Lacrosse Program? Thoughts?

The SEC doesn't do LAX either.

If UNC and UVA leave, they're in the same boat.

The SEC doesn't do LAX either.

If UNC and UVA leave, they're in the same boat.
So do we stick with UNC and UVA and create a new conference, and add a 6th school to get an AQ? Would that be the best outcome for Syracuse MLAX? Or staying Independent or getting away from the the direct competition of UNC, UVA, Duke & ND and join another conference for MLAX?

So do we stick with UNC and UVA and create a new conference, and add a 6th school to get an AQ? Would that be the best outcome for Syracuse MLAX? Or staying Independent or getting away from the the direct competition of UNC, UVA, Duke & ND and join another conference for MLAX?

Technically, SU, Duke (and ND) would still be full members of the ACC.

And the ACC doesn't like to invite One Sport Members. Otherwise, we would have snagged Hopkins as a 6th team for LAX only.

If UNC and UVA end up in the Big Ten, their problems are solved. No idea what happens if they go to the SEC. The ACC may not want them back.

What if the Big East doesn't want US back as LAX only members?

My head hurts.

Maybe Stanford & Cal embrace the sport. They play just about everything else. SMU could do quite well.

Gait can spend every waking moment out recruiting but it won't change the fact that Syracuse just can't offer what the other ACC members can offer in terms of the non-lax components (academics, campus, weather, etc...). And unlike football and basketball, lax is a sport where the non-sporting components really matter.

When you combine that with the fact that those schools have all had more success in the last 5-10 years, it's just an extremely uphill battle and I think it's borderline delusional to think Gait and co. should be doing leaps and bounds better than they have at this point. Recruits these days were in diapers the last time Cuse won a title; they weren't even alive when Mikey Powell was running the show. The reality is the 2022 class was a miracle and should not be considered the norm. Snagging a guy like Bogue Hahn -- a 5 star recruit out of Baltimore with a dad who was a Terp and an uncle who was a Blue Jay -- is a massive feat in and of itself.

When you look at what the other ACC members and the top Ivies can offer, and the rise of the B1G bringing in even more competition to fend off (not to mention the deleterious impact the consolidation of the high school landscape into the prep factories has on a school like Cuse), I think grabbing multiple top 50 recruits and compiling a fringe top 10 class each year is all that can reasonably be expected right now. Harsh but true.

The good thing is that with a transformative 2022 class and good mining of the transfer portal, Cuse is in a better position talent wise to compete than they otherwise should be based on their recruiting headwinds, and has the opportunity to capitalize on that if they can get the most out of this roster. Last year had some growing pains but ultimately seemed to show some progress in the latter half of the season IMO. With another year of experience and the two Princeton middies coming in, there's a pathway to reclaiming some of the lost luster on the sporting side of things.

Last edited:
Really too bad on Raio, thought we had a real shot there!

Cuse’s last championship came when these 26s were only 1y/o and the last championship we played for/final four we even featured in was a decade ago. As we all know we haven’t made the tournament in two seasons, while we have a 19-23 record over the last three seasons since COVID hit. Perspective.

Not sure why people are that upset five stars aren’t lining up to join at this moment. Just remember - The offense was humming last season, and the new DC seems to be quality. The tides will turn and we will get back to relevancy again, but let’s temper expectations on the recruiting front until then.

Always darkest before dawn!